1/4 wave coax vertical dipole

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

1/4 wave coax vertical dipole

Post by sharky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Got bored today so I went down the shops to pick up a few bits and decided to have a go at making another one of these to maybe mass produce if the interest was there..

The basics of this antenna are that is is still a dipole ( two poles + and - ) ,but instead of using a boom as stand off, the dipole is end fed and can be mounted at the end of your mast.
Calculate your half wave lengths using the NRG formulae.
Cut a Full Wave length of coax- be it 213 etc ( i've used 58 as the loss at the length i'm going to use is .3dB )
Now from the top of your cable measure your 1/4 wave and mark the coax.
Strip the coax so the outer is still there ( take off the insulating layer only )
So you should be left with the sheath still, on...

Now take the sheath and fold it back down the coax ( turn it in on itself so that it flows back down the unstripped cable ) If you've done it right you should now have a quarter wave up ( the centre still in its jacket ) and the sheath folded over the coax. Does it look familiar yet ???
You now have a basic end fed dipole - with a Balun - as the bottom section is flipped over the transmission line.

Now there are many different ways to do this.
I've gone with cutting the sheath off and replacing it with a length of 15mm copper as it's more stable and you don't have to adjust it's length.
If you dont and use the coax itself, the sheath needs to be trimmed to allow for the velocity factor and in reality that will be shorter than the positive leg.

Now that's as far as i've got as I have no test equip. to match it at the moment.

The whole thing will be enclosed in some PVC for weather-proofing but you dont have to if you don't want to. A quick dab of silicone at the join where the two poles meet would be fine for a temporary measure.

I'll be honest and tell you that I've only used this antenna once in the past, and only because someone walked off with the antenna but left the TX, this got me back on in less than 30 mins.

If you're clever you can also adapt this method for a proper GP antenna.

I will keep you posted. Pics soon.
Last edited by sharky on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you're going to put something on.... Don't brag, Just do; and for God's sake - do it properly!!!

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: 1/4 wave coax vertical dipole

Post by sharky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Oh... Total Cost, less than a tenner
If you're going to put something on.... Don't brag, Just do; and for God's sake - do it properly!!!

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Of course if you're like me and you want the info now NOW NOW.........

http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?the-ve ... antenna,18

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Nice one mr sharky! :)
Ive seen this configuration in many commercial WiFi antennas before and should be a reasonable performer? :)
Might give it a go too! :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 am

I am working on similar / modified design, also known as double bazooka or coaxial dipole. Preliminary results are outstanding. First try was with RG58 just to see if math works, and now I'm making two with semi-rigid coax. Will post pictures later...

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:24 pm

pjeva wrote:I am working on similar / modified design, also known as double bazooka or coaxial dipole. Preliminary results are outstanding. First try was with RG58 just to see if math works, and now I'm making two with semi-rigid coax. Will post pictures later...
Interesting stuff Mr Pjeva!! :)
Sounds like some kind of Co linear? or Double stack in a tube? :) Matching and balun could be inclosed in the PVC assembly?? :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:34 am

sinus trouble wrote: Interesting stuff Mr Pjeva!! :)
Sounds like some kind of Co linear? or Double stack in a tube? :) Matching and balun could be inclosed in the PVC assembly?? :)
It is basically folded dipole modification. Matching part is like stub, and at the same time part of folded dipole.
Here are some pictures. If you're interested, I can put details and calculations... :geek:

Pictures are from last to first in each post... don't know why.... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pjeva on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:35 am

Continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

midlandswest
ne guy
ne guy

Post by midlandswest » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:32 pm

this may sound a daft question but could this be done without chopping off the required length from coax, example 10m coax with this on the end so no joins or plugs (only 1 to go into rig) etc.

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:28 pm

midlandswest wrote:this may sound a daft question but could this be done without chopping off the required length from coax, example 10m coax with this on the end so no joins or plugs (only 1 to go into rig) etc.
That would be sort ofend-fed design, sinus trouble's variant (with sleeve over coax) is exactly like that. This one on my pictures is center fed, so there is no way to do it without joints.

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:09 pm

midlandswest wrote:this may sound a daft question but could this be done without chopping off the required length from coax, example 10m coax with this on the end so no joins or plugs (only 1 to go into rig) etc.
With the one i'm building, Yes.... but remember you should have some kind of isolation from the mast.
Unless you plan to mount it to a fibreglass pole or some other non conductive material.
I do plan to finish the design this weekend, I have everything I need now.

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 pm

pjeva wrote:
That would be sort ofend-fed design, sinus trouble's variant (with sleeve over coax) is exactly like that. This one on my pictures is center fed, so there is no way to do it without joints.
Sorry, I meant Sharky's not sinus trouble's....

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:27 pm

Sorry, I was reffering to sharky's not sinus trouble's variant...

Pants
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Pants » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:00 pm

I tried pulling braid over sheaf with 213 and westflex.what a f###king nightmare! Gave up after 2hours.

Exterminator antenna now only £126.69 on pcs electronics.think I'll just purchase one of them for testing things.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:55 am

I'd rather use a double stack PCS Gamma Matched.

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:14 pm

i tired this wonce and the braid bunched up i canny get it back over the outer cable all the way down to be the ground part i gave up as well... it is look easy until to try and do it even wiv thin stuff

Pants
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Pants » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:06 am

teckniqs wrote:I'd rather use a double stack PCS Gamma Matched.
Yeah I got a pair of these worked well but best double I ever used was using 2x mobile dipoles the screw in type only £20 each an all from rocket radio.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:08 am

They're not as good, they'll just be like 75ohm standard dipoles.

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Sat May 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Bump.... !! For the person who asked me earlier..

P did you ever finish your coll. ??

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:08 pm

sharky wrote:Bump.... !! For the person who asked me earlier..

P did you ever finish your coll. ??
I didn't saw this post till today...

Yes, I finished it. Not then, but i needed quick solution for one 100w tx and just finished this over night. I didn't post anything about it because at the end I used network analyser to tune it right and didn't have time to take measurements and put them here.

I'll try to make another one and give full description.