Audio distribution with Raspberry Pi

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
3M amateur
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Audio distribution with Raspberry Pi

Post by 3M amateur » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:35 am

Hi. I wonder if any of you have tried to run the Raspberry Pi to Send and Receive audio streams over the network. And if it works. Have bought 2st Rapberry PI 3. Found a site where they describe how to proceed. http://www.crazy-audio.com/projects/ras ... tribution/
:smoke

http://i2.wp.com/www.crazy-audio.com/wp ... =565%2C151

Dennis99
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Audio distribution with Raspberry Pi

Post by Dennis99 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:20 am

3M amateur
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by 3M amateur » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:15 am

Hi. My plan is to receive a radio station which is too far away for me to receive it. And I have a good friend who lives closer and can receive the signal well. So I thought to rig up a relay station that receives the sound and run it through the internet.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:56 am

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/838 ... eaming-box is probably the quickest and easiest way to build a streaming Raspberry Pi Music Box. You don't need to understand Linux (though it always helps, and is a good skill to have).

As well as the R Pi itself, you're going to need a micro SD card. These are incredibly cheap these days, but make sure you get a "Class 10" one, so it's fast enough. You're going to need a 5V 1A power supply with a micro USB plug on the end of it. You can get away with using (for example) a Samsung mobile phone charger, but a nice linear, regulated supply is better since you won't get the "live" leakage to the R Pi that you do with SMPSUs and it'll be electrically quieter. You'll need an audio output lead - 3.5mm stereo for the computer end to whatever will plug into your hi-fi.

The audio output from the socket on the R Pi is much better quality than it used to be, but it really is worth investing in a cheap DAC board: Ebay item number 331561418698 is the easiest to connect, and Ebay 331552761400 is the cheapest, but requires a bit of soldering.

You'll also want a box to house it all in - shop around on Ebay for a "hi-fi preamp" case. Remember that you can't completely enclose the R Pi 3 in metal, or the on-board wi-fi won't work!

My streaming receivers (I have three of them around the house) are in aluminium cases, using R Pi 2 boards and the Audiophonics Sabre DAC. I used a wi-fi dongle that fits into a USB port and has an external aerial (through an SMA connector): Ebay number 162017016499 works really well for the purpose.

The software that I suggested (above) gives the R Pi a web page output to your home network. This is accessible using anything that can run a web-browser - your computer, laptop, phone, or tablet! One (very minor) downside is that on Android you'll have to enter the numerical IP address of the streamer, but once you're there, you can bookmark it for future access.

I've built loads of these over the last few years, and given them away as presents to friends and family, and even as competition prizes on my radio programme! They're cheap enough to build, and the results are truly amazing!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)