Radio Master

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Radio Master

Post by alfaeire » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:21 pm

Howdy all..
Looking at the radiomaster, im in 2 minds but interested in buying one..
I remember the flaming he got on the last board.. people put down the build etc..
Just looking for peoples input before i go putting money into something when i could put it into something more reliable if thats the case.

Cheers

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Radio Master

Post by teckniqs » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Do you have a spectrum analyser?? ...Would be great if you got one and you could test it for all of us that are curious.

alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by alfaeire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 am

teckniqs wrote:Do you have a spectrum analyser?? ...Would be great if you got one and you could test it for all of us that are curious.
:D only a rtlsdr

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:10 am

@ teck
I have a few radiomasters in stock and will post some spectrum plots
The 180 Watt version is a realy good module and has a good LPF on the output.

http://www.hf-electronics.nl/Webwinkel- ... audio.html

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:15 am

So the notorious Radio Master has now been forum approved...!

After all the hype Albert H had led us all to believe, that would be very interesting to see.

radio-berlin
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by radio-berlin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Yes they seem ok now that the guy has added a Low Pass Filter on output.

All that Hype from Albert before was because it didnt have an output filter.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:00 pm

On the video for the Radio Master 180 he explains that it doesn't need a filter.

Shedbuilt
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Shedbuilt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 pm

The 180 has visibly got an output filter. The 350 and 400 don't look to have - at least not beyond the inherent low pass of the output matching network.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Yeah sorry it might have been the 400 video I was watching when he said it...

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:48 pm

TBH? Radiomaster is a decent bloke and i never doubted his gear! I just couldnt understand why he wasnt flooded with orders? Surely anyone with a bit common sense could knock one of those up with a PSU and be on air within an hour or so!
I am as stupid as I look! :|

alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by alfaeire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:18 pm

forgive me for my ignorance, why is there a LPF on the 180 and not on his higher output models?!

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Analyser » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:27 pm

The guy behind RadioMaster (Floris) is obviously a clever chap with some neat ideas. The problems he had on the previous forum where because of the claims he made about the equipment specification but also his attitude. Albert took a big dislike to him for some reason and thought his boards were cheap Chinese shite, something which I personally never agreed with because you could clearly see they were made in his bedroom. Then after a certain amount of stick he got all silly saying we were racist which made him look even more stupid.
The other stuff still holds true though, the equipment specifications are nonsense. Of you look at his Ebay ads they claim everything to be FCC and CCIR compliant which is clearly bollocks. You cannot make a 400w board without a low pass filter saying that it doesn't need it because the aerial acts as a filter and then say it complies with those regulations at the same time. If that were true wouldn't all the legal manufacturers like RVR, Elenos etc. do the same? No, they all have very good filtering to make sure their stuff complies.
Also, he makes quite impressive claims about the phase noise performance of his oscillator. This was discussed before and he was asked to provide some proof or test results and a load of waffle came out. It might be one thing designing something great on paper but in the real world you need to test it and back up your theory with measurements.
To be honest all this technical stuff is largely academic, this is a pirate forum and most people don't give a shit about phase noise or harmonics but if the fella had come on here and showed a couple of pictures of his stuff and asked for some feedback I'm sure the attitude would have been different, but he chose to tell everyone that his stuff was the best and they were all beneath him, which obviously rubbed a few up the wrong way.

What I will say is that the boards look ok, but you can probably get something made in the UK or Holland which is cheaper and offers similar performance, for instance he charges £700 for his 400w all-in-one board. I would have thought you could get a 300-350w rig fully made including power supply and case for about £500-600 if you know where to look.

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Analyser » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 pm

alfaeire wrote:forgive me for my ignorance, why is there a LPF on the 180 and not on his higher output models?!
...because you get a few more watts to show on the power meter without a proper filter.
It's fairly straightforward to match a large mosfet to 50ohms and get lots of power out but when you add a low pass filter this can change things quite a lot and the output match may have to be redesigned.

UKNECKS
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by UKNECKS » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:34 pm

I have a 400le. And to what I can say it is very clean. My aerial is not so fahr from a tv antenna and got no trouble. When no audio, you can cleary hear the difference from other transmitter, there is no background noise or artefact. I had other transmitter includ LPF buy on ebay and got trouble with tv.