Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

Post by shuffy » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:09 pm

Leroy-BaseFM wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:54 am We have a pretty good handle on it at the minute
That's an understatement. Hats off ;)
Slight power increase over the last few days too, if I'm not mistaken!

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:38 pm

Guessing they have gone from 200w to 300w , or updated their antenna next time i’m passing I will take a picture

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:58 pm

There's no need to do that on my account - I was just giving respect on a great technical job.
And I'm sure you weren't going to, but please don't post any pics. Even if it only shows the mast it may give away more than they'd like.

Leroy-BaseFM
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Leroy-BaseFM » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:02 am

shuffy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:58 pm There's no need to do that on my account - I was just giving respect on a great technical job.
And I'm sure you weren't going to, but please don't post any pics. Even if it only shows the mast it may give away more than they'd like.
Thanks buddy, we dont want pics of the mast going up! - Although it has moved very recently.

Guyofthenorth
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Guyofthenorth » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:28 am

We all love radio don't see the point of pictures there's plenty on Google for that we should all be sticking together and keeping the pirates going
Base have been the most consistent station in recent years and a fantastic one at that I agree hats off to the guys at base and thank you great station

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:42 pm

Ironically getting base stronger than ever driving past the Ofcom building near Stockton heath , Cheshire.
Also getting the rds now at home which I couldn’t get previously (my antenna is even pointing in the opposite direction.
Not really my choice in music (these days) but it’s definitely better than when it used to be on 87.7 with a buzz).
The old recorded shows by the way still show 87.7 on the internet stream
Sony ST 920 QS

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:31 pm

RADIO OVERDRIVE 100. 8
OFFICIAL
As a gesture of goodwill to Base fm 100.8, Radio Overdrive will be changing frequency on Sunday October 29th to 101.4 mhz. Test have been heard from Overdrive on 101.4 throughout the week. Overdrive will continue to transmit on 100.8 until Saturday October 21st. This is to give all their listeners time to get to know of the change.
Manchester only has one pirate Base fm and by Overdrive soon to use 101.4 mhz, it is hoped that the station will get their Manchester listeners back North and South of the city.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:17 pm

“ will get their Manchester listeners back”,
Amusing.
Now they have increased their power you don’t have much choice, but i’m sure they will appreciate the gesture
Sony ST 920 QS

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:08 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:17 pm “ will get their Manchester listeners back”,
Amusing.
Now they have increased their power you don’t have much choice, but i’m sure they will appreciate the gesture
Well that's what they are saying. Check one of the reports on Pirates in Cheshire thread which I started thanks to your wise advice. So I can't see where it's amusing. I only write the facts. Overdrive must have a powerful transmitter. They mention listeners from Bolton, Wrexham, Liverpool and Stoke on Trent. Why would they lie ? They are changing frequency so as not to interfere with Base, not the other way round. Well I think it's very noble of them. Gentlemen of the airwaves. So I don't agree with you that they didn't have a choice. They did and chose the sensible route and that's to get there listening audience back from Manchester. Don't forget, Base is in Manchester itself. So it's bound to be stronger. Overdrive is in Cheshire not Manchester. Anyway, you can make of it what you like. That's what Overdrive have decided to do. Setting a good example to all.
I hope Carousel return to fm. Keep fm pirate radio alive.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:46 pm

You appear to have taken offence
I mean it’s amusing the way it was worded, because base have a great range and has only got better in recent days after they made changes, but you worded it as if overdrive were giving them back listeners,

As m for “gentlemen of the airwaves”, overdrive moved from 105.8 to 100.8 even after knowing that both carousel and concept were on those frequencies, and base moved from 87.7 to 100.8 doing the same. nobody owns the frequencies that’s true enough but certain people on this board don’t play fairly and Carousel have not been on since summer as a result, no surprise is it
Sony ST 920 QS

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:56 pm

I was out along the M62 this weekend. Base has a tremendous signal. An absolute belter. It's strong from Warrington to almost West Yorkshire. On the way back to Liverpool this afternoon, it came and went from Warrington but came back and was very listenable at the Rocket and fluttered in and out on Queens Drive. Nothing at mine though.

Along the top of the M60 there was a station on 101.4, playing rock (2,4,6,8 Motorway) on Saturday early evening, and some 80s soul mid afternoon today. There were a couple of IDs, but I didn't catch either of them as it faded out at just the wrong time every time they played one. Would this have been Overdrive? Or is there another station on 101.4?!

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:11 pm

Sometimes you can here today fm from Ireland around Merseyside:Cheshire , I get that at home on 101.4
base are doing great in parts of stretton/warrington but it’s patchy , it certainly doesn’t stop on my car radio so other stations if they were on would be stronger but everyone is just letting base do their thing (will be interesting to see if concept do come on at Halloween which they mentioned they would be in next).
Sony ST 920 QS

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:33 pm

It definitely wasn't Today FM. That kept cutting in from time to time and the difference was obvious. What I heard was almost certainly a pirate. It was back to back songs with the occasional ID and the audio was what I'd describe as "pirate quality". I don't mean it was terrible, just not the crisp processing you'd expect from a more pro setup. (That said, Base FM has not just an amazing signal, but impressive audio quality).

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:25 pm

, base do sound good but online sounds better for me my smaller hifi in the bedroom it’s not strong enough so i’m listening online instead it’s not strong enough to be listened too in stereo
I do give anyone respect who can manage to find a good location and get out like base are
I’ve got it on now but it’s not really what i’m into music wise these days although it’s a welcome change
Last edited by LeeCavanagh on Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sony ST 920 QS

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:39 pm

Matt wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:56 pm I was out along the M62 this weekend. Base has a tremendous signal. An absolute belter. It's strong from Warrington to almost West Yorkshire. On the way back to Liverpool this afternoon, it came and went from Warrington but came back and was very listenable at the Rocket and fluttered in and out on Queens Drive. Nothing at mine though.

Along the top of the M60 there was a station on 101.4, playing rock (2,4,6,8 Motorway) on Saturday early evening, and some 80s soul mid afternoon today. There were a couple of IDs, but I didn't catch either of them as it faded out at just the wrong time every time they played one. Would this have been Overdrive? Or is there another station on 101.4?!
Yes it was. They test from 1700hrs every evening as they prepare to switch permanently to that frequency.

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:23 pm

Driving around liverpool and manchester quite a bit this weekend so had a chance to check out base's coverage. In liverpool I could get them patchy in the city and out along edge lane/m62 then solid from widnes/st helens sort of way onwards. In manchester signal is very good, you could easily think they were a legal local station except for the tunes and no ads. Going north along m61 they were solid until about rivington then suddenly dropped out with classic fm breaking through, probably from selkirk on 100.9 or maybe arfon 100.7. I think if the frequency was clear theyd get even further maybe past preston even. Going south on m56 was rock solid to preston brook then patchy as far as chester.

Definitely a serious upgrade since I last heard them over the summer when they were barely getting south of the airport. Ive seen 200/300w mentioned a few posts back but wouldnt be surprised if its more than that. Either that or theyve got a really good site.

Audio was spot on too, processing sounds much better than your average pirate, probably as loud as any legal. Noticed a few audio dropouts like theyre linking a web stream over a spotty connection, but nothing major and always came back after a few seconds.

And the mixes were solid, no live dj when I was listening but they kept the energy up the whole time and no awkward jumps between tracks like you sometimes hear on pirates.

Overall really good to hear and nice that weve got a 24/7 pirate back on in the northwest. Dont think weve had anything of this level since sound fm were on back in 2017 and even then they were only on for a few weeks

Leroy-BaseFM
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Leroy-BaseFM » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:04 am

jvok wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:23 pm Driving around liverpool and manchester quite a bit this weekend so had a chance to check out base's coverage. In liverpool I could get them patchy in the city and out along edge lane/m62 then solid from widnes/st helens sort of way onwards. In manchester signal is very good, you could easily think they were a legal local station except for the tunes and no ads. Going north along m61 they were solid until about rivington then suddenly dropped out with classic fm breaking through, probably from selkirk on 100.9 or maybe arfon 100.7. I think if the frequency was clear theyd get even further maybe past preston even. Going south on m56 was rock solid to preston brook then patchy as far as chester.

Definitely a serious upgrade since I last heard them over the summer when they were barely getting south of the airport. Ive seen 200/300w mentioned a few posts back but wouldnt be surprised if its more than that. Either that or theyve got a really good site.

Audio was spot on too, processing sounds much better than your average pirate, probably as loud as any legal. Noticed a few audio dropouts like theyre linking a web stream over a spotty connection, but nothing major and always came back after a few seconds.

And the mixes were solid, no live dj when I was listening but they kept the energy up the whole time and no awkward jumps between tracks like you sometimes hear on pirates.

Overall really good to hear and nice that weve got a 24/7 pirate back on in the northwest. Dont think weve had anything of this level since sound fm were on back in 2017 and even then they were only on for a few weeks
Thank you for your writeup and kind words! - Its great to see so many of you getting the signal, and what a gesture of Overdrive to change Freq for us. That was unexpected, but we do appreciate it!

We are trying harder and harder to get more live shows on, and keep the rotation of music as fresh as possible. And apologies for any dropouts, sadly, this is the nature of the beast of how we are getting the audio to the site!

Keep us informed where you are getting us guys, its amazing to hear!

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:37 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:46 pm You appear to have taken offence
I mean it’s amusing the way it was worded, because base have a great range and has only got better in recent days after they made changes, but you worded it as if overdrive were giving them back listeners,

As m for “gentlemen of the airwaves”, overdrive moved from 105.8 to 100.8 even after knowing that both carousel and concept were on those frequencies, and base moved from 87.7 to 100.8 doing the same. nobody owns the frequencies that’s true enough but certain people on this board don’t play fairly and Carousel have not been on since summer as a result, no surprise is it
Just want to put the record straight regarding past frequency of Overdrive. Original name was Ten Sixtyfive Overdrive which got it's name from.the frequency used at the time which was 106.5mhz. They were never on 105.8.

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:57 pm

Radio Overdrive update.
Low power test can be heard on 101.4mhz early evenings between 5pm till 7pm. Overdrive has seized transmissions altogether on 100.8mhz.
Finally, it was mentioned that the station has done this to give Base it's listeners back which when you think about it, is quiet absurd as the two stations have different music formats which attracts different audiences. Overdrive has changed it's frequency they said in order to get back it's listeners in North Manchester and Liverpool. That's the only reason. It has a good signal reach not only in Cheshire, but as far as South Liverpool, North Manchester, Wrexham, parts of Cheshire and Stoke on Trent. I'd say from this, that both Base and Overdrive are running about the same power, so it made sense for Overdrive to change frequency which by doing so, increases the reach of both stations. Base gains more foot print and so does Overdrive. It's common sense.

pete1015
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by pete1015 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:34 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:17 pm “ will get their Manchester listeners back”,
Amusing.
i live in walkden, 3 miles south of bolton and i can hear overdrive, signal strength 3 bars no rds tho.