108FM

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

108FM

Post by teckniqs » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:02 am

Looks like Devastation (DEVA'STN) have returned.

.....I was last picking this up until about March last year but checked 108FM last night and had a DnB mix going round and round on loop.
Now there is a cheesy EDM Dance mix going round and round on loop this morning.
Looks like they've moved TX locations as it's not being picked up in places that is used to be heard but reaching down to me better here on the south coast and pal in Eastbourne is getting it clear and never used to pick it up there before.

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: 108FM

Post by FMEnjoyer » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:06 pm

Glad for you that you have something different to listen to. Quite nice when something pops up and
you can put it on when you like and see what they are like.

Pcg558
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Pcg558 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:16 pm

Yes but they are on a terrible channel, splattering badly into the air band near Gatwick. I would imagine Ofcom will come knocking soon if they don’t change frequency

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:12 am

probably only cause problems near an airport, I don’t know why much of airband remains in analogue, all the communications are in analogue, anyone can listen in, it is wide open to interference and spoofing, in most areas of the spectrum the frequencies have been cleared, the communications have moved on so people can’t listen in.

oldtech
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by oldtech » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:42 am

radionortheast wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:12 am probably only cause problems near an airport, I don’t know why much of airband remains in analogue, all the communications are in analogue, anyone can listen in, it is wide open to interference and spoofing, in most areas of the spectrum the frequencies have been cleared, the communications have moved on so people can’t listen in.
AM is still regarded as the most reliable system for aircraft and is used all over the world, it is more resilient in emergency conditions where the signal is poor. Not aware of any spoofing, there is no problem with it being in the clear, again any extra tech to encrypt would increase possible faults. For long distance comms I believe aircraft still use HF SSB as a backup to sat comms.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:36 pm

Been on all this week, went off Sunday night about 9.15pm or so but came back on Monday morning about 11am and been on ever since.
....wonder if they're going for 24/7 now instead of just weekends like it was when it was on before.

Pcg558
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Pcg558 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:41 pm

oldtech wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:42 am
radionortheast wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:12 am probably only cause problems near an airport, I don’t know why much of airband remains in analogue, all the communications are in analogue, anyone can listen in, it is wide open to interference and spoofing, in most areas of the spectrum the frequencies have been cleared, the communications have moved on so people can’t listen in.
AM is still regarded as the most reliable system for aircraft and is used all over the world, it is more resilient in emergency conditions where the signal is poor. Not aware of any spoofing, there is no problem with it being in the clear, again any extra tech to encrypt would increase possible faults. For long distance comms I believe aircraft still use HF SSB as a backup to sat comms.
AM has a distinct advantage for aircraft comms. If two stations talk at the same time you can hear them both, at least enough to know that they have doubled with each other. If FM were used the capture effect would mean that only the stronger station was heard. If digital were used it’s likely that neither would be heard

Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Persona Non Grata » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:34 am

Causing interference in the airband is not just an issue close to airports. Because of the height at which planes fly they have line of sight to an area of hundreds of square miles/kilometres. They may be trying to listen on frequencies which may appear unused to us on the ground.

The lower part of the airband is used by navigation beacons (VOR and ILS) while the rest of the band is used for AM voice communications.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:56 am

This station seems to just play the same two mixes on repeat looping round and round and round all during the week when there are no live DJ's.
...They obviously don't listen to their own station or they would add more than the same boring DnB mix or GarageHouse mix to their autoDJ.

It's embarrassing, please sort it out if you're reading this or if someone who knows you is and can relay it back to them.
It's purely constructive-critisism and needs sorting out, the listeners must be bored out of their minds! :nodg