ducking

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
mikroman
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: ducking

Post by mikroman » Tue May 02, 2023 4:58 pm

the assumption was that you use a PC to play music. The instructions are similar, you connect the turntable from the preamplifier to the behringer, and the output from the behringer goes to the line in on the mackie. The FXsend connection to sidechain remains as described previously.
Mic 2 also has an fx potentiometer, so it can also be in the ducking chain. I didn't understand very well what you want to achieve with mute. If the mute also turns off the fx output from that channel, then it can serve as a simple mic on/off.

It should be kept in mind that you control the level of ducking/attenuation with the FX potentiometer. On the other hand, you control the level of the microphone in the master mix via the level potentiometer on the same channel.

What you need to know, this way ducking will only work on a device connected to a behringer compressor (only one turntable). More importantly, a compressor connected in this way cannot be used simultaneously to normalize the levels of the master mix. This requires another device.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Wed May 03, 2023 12:24 am

Sell the FS mixer and Mackie desk, replace them with a Pioneer DJM-700 or newer, they've got an auto duck feature on the mic channel. Pioneer call it "talk over".

From the manual:
“Talk over” function automatically lowers track volume during microphone input.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed May 03, 2023 1:06 am

Mongo82 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:42 pm
Try the following:
1. insert headphones into "FX send"
2. turn the FX potentiometer on channel 1 to 12 o'clock.
3. if you have the sound of the microphone on the headphones, then ducking can be done!
------
Setup:
1. make a 6.3 connector and connect the FX send to the sidechain on the behringer processor (L and R channel)
2. make connectors and connect the PC to the input of the behringer processor
3. make a connector and connect the output of the behringer processor and the line in input to the mackie mixer
4. set the compression ratio on the behringer to maximum (infinity)
5. You are ready to drive!

Hi, thanks, I am getting mic in one channel when FX is upped to unity on channel one. What is the PC for? The only thing i'm using a computer for is to record.

my set up is

2 technics 1200s / Formula sound Mixer / output from mixer to the Mackie desk and mic driven by that.

Ideally I'm trying to keep control of audio and mic so i can make changes such as equalizing and level, I want to be able to duck the sound and send it back to the desk or at least from an output after the compressor stage so i can directly monitor / record. Also going from the FX, I potentially now have two mic outs on the main mix as i cannot mute channel 1 as that stops audio going to FX Send on the Mackie?
If you are going full on analogue, You should be fine!

I am not familiar with the "Mackie Desk" but i am guessing it is a multi channel mixer?

As long as you can separate the Mic from the audio? Then side chain will work well!

If that is not possible? The Compressor will still prioritise the dominant signal when required (Eg Mic)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Mongo82
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Mongo82 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:31 am

thewisepranker wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:24 am Sell the FS mixer and Mackie desk, replace them with a Pioneer DJM-700 or newer, they've got an auto duck feature on the mic channel. Pioneer call it "talk over".

From the manual:
“Talk over” function automatically lowers track volume during microphone input.
Sell my formula sound pm80 from 1984...? err I don't think so... its a thing of beauty and sounds lovely :)
Pioneer mixers are a bake bean tin inside, well overpriced for what they are.
I do have a behringer that does something similar but is really harsh. I need something more natural sounding.

Mongo82
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Mongo82 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:48 am

sinus trouble wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:06 am
If you are going full on analogue, You should be fine!

I am not familiar with the "Mackie Desk" but i am guessing it is a multi channel mixer?

As long as you can separate the Mic from the audio? Then side chain will work well!

If that is not possible? The Compressor will still prioritise the dominant signal when required (Eg Mic)
I am not totally sure to be honest Sinus,

the specs show it does not have any sub groups or aux sends. I was actually going to send it back at one point and go for the next option but space was what stopped me from doing so, but that return window has closed. I did try the recommendations here but so far no luck. Not to say i am doing it right mind and missing something, but there are only so many configurations I can try before i start going cuckoo.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed May 03, 2023 11:32 pm

Well a worst case scenario is that you can not achieve "Ducking" as such? But your compressor will prevent over deviation either way!

Just a theory? But if you intend to broadcast in mono, you could use the compressor as a makeshift mixer!

Feed channel A with your music and channel B with the Mic then loop the compressor side chain!

Finally feed that into your "Mackie Desk" if that makes sense?

Mongo82
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Mongo82 » Thu May 04, 2023 11:42 am

sinus trouble wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:32 pm Well a worst case scenario is that you can not achieve "Ducking" as such? But your compressor will prevent over deviation either way!

Just a theory? But if you intend to broadcast in mono, you could use the compressor as a makeshift mixer!

Feed channel A with your music and channel B with the Mic then loop the compressor side chain!

Finally feed that into your "Mackie Desk" if that makes sense?
Cheers Sinus, i think i'll just settle for a beer and be done with it for now, but i think i get what you mean, infact there was a tutorial doing that. So if you had two compressors, you could make it stereo using that method?

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Fri May 05, 2023 12:56 am

Exactly, Yes two compressors will give stereo!

The combinations and configurations are endless! Im sure you will find what suits your needs! :)