1kW Dummy Load project

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

1kW Dummy Load project

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:12 pm

:smoke

My new 1kW Dummy Load project :whistle

8 x 100Ω - 250W RF resistors - Aliexpress.
188x120x37mm Aluminium Box - ebay.
Heatsink 300x190x50mm - DutchShop.
Copper Strip 120x75x3mm - DutchShop.
Total parts inc post = €155
1kW Dummy Project-1.JPG
1kW Dummy Project-2.JPG
1kW Dummy Project-3.JPG
Heatsink 300 x 190 x 50 mm.JPG
:tup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: 1kW Dummy Load project

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:00 pm

This is the Plan of mounting the resistors on the Copper Plate
Dummy Plan.jpg
Dummy Circuit.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Marcel
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Marcel » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:02 pm

Dear Brian,

I don't want to discourage you, but this only works well at low frequencies, you will measure 50 ohms neatly, but you will see that the SWR is not good as the frequency increases.

Look inside the Alpha power HF dummy load to the internal construction and compensation.

Marcel
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Marcel » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:04 pm

Dear Brian,

I don't want to discourage you, but this only works well at low frequencies, you will measure 50 ohms neatly, but you will see that the SWR is not good as the frequency increases.

Look inside the Alpha 2100 HF dummy load to the internal construction and compensation (Teflon coax C en Coils).

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:21 am

We always used to mount the resistors in a radial pattern around the input socket. The SWR of those loads was never much worse than about 1.15 : 1
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:11 pm

I know that the SWR is not gonna be perfect :whistle

Finished putting it together today, gonna test it tomorrow :tup
1kW Dummy Load Finished.JPG

Mersey100
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Mersey100 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:05 pm

Is the copper strip mounted directly to the heatsink or stood off it, cant really tell.
If you ain't had an rf burn then your not running enough power.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:32 am

BriansBrain wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:11 pm :smoke

I know that the SWR is not gonna be perfect :whistle

Finished putting it together today, gonna test it tomorrow :tup

1kW Dummy Load Finished.JPG
nice work but i do not like it.. why end of coax is not grounded and closer to meddle point od loads.. . need to be wavelength coax velocity.
use panel mount soldering coax directly on connector ...

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:38 am

Mersey100 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:05 pm Is the copper strip mounted directly to the heatsink or stood off it, cant really tell.
It's directly on the heatsink, if you look caefully you can see the cutout :tup

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:44 am

rigmo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:32 am why end of coax is not grounded and closer to meddle point od loads.. .
OK understand that one :tup
rigmo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:32 am need to be wavelength coax velocity.
Will that help ?
I am using RG402 ?
RG402.JPG
Capture.JPG
rigmo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:32 am use panel mount soldering coax directly on connector ...
I will have to get some of them :tup

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:31 pm

OK..... I have just found the spec of RG402
Velocity of Propagation 69.5%
So... https://k7mem.com/Ant_Freq_Wavelength.html
Capture.JPG

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:55 pm

OK....... for starters I have now grounded the end of RG402
RG402 End now grounded.jpg

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:46 pm

OK.... you guys are correct...... as usual :whistle
I have learn't a lot on about RF this forum :D
I measured it on the spectrum analyzer and the load does change at higher frequencies :D
This is the proof on the BIRD

Forward = 100W
1K Dummy Load @ 100W Forward.jpg
Reflected = 3.5W
1K Dummy Load @ 100W Reflected.jpg

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:39 pm

I bet if you shrunk everything down you could get it a lot better than that. Put the resistors right next to each other so you can solder straight between the pins and get rid of the wires in between. Also see if you can solder the pins at the end of each chain straight down to the copper instead of wiring to a solder tag. You might need a torch or at least a really big iron to get the copper hot enough.

Every piece of wire in there is an inductor which is where your problems coming from.

You might find it runs a bit hotter with the resistors close together but honestly doubt itll make much difference with that big copper block to spread the heat.

3.5w reflected is 1.5:1 SWR which isn't far off. I wouldn't expect to get much better than 1.1:1 maybe 1.2:1 for such a big load.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:49 pm

jvok wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:39 pm I bet if you shrunk everything down you could get it a lot better than that. Put the resistors right next to each other so you can solder straight between the pins and get rid of the wires in between. Also see if you can solder the pins at the end of each chain straight down to the copper instead of wiring to a solder tag. You might need a torch or at least a really big iron to get the copper hot enough.
Thanks for the suggestions :tup
jvok wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:39 pm Every piece of wire in there is an inductor which is where your problems coming from.
I understand that now :|
jvok wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:39 pm 3.5w reflected is 1.5:1 SWR which isn't far off.
Well considering the cost.......... and that I made it........ it's not that bad then :tup

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:10 pm

You should have told them you were building a George Foreman grill powered by Elenos... :lol:

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:35 pm

1kw dummy load

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 am

yellowbeard wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:10 pm You should have told them you were building a George Foreman grill powered by Elenos... :lol:
Good one :lol:

Marcel
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Marcel » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:33 am

If you have a (nano) Vector Network Analyzer, you can immediately see all changes, only measuring resistance with a universal meter or Bird Wattmeter (reflected power) will not help you any further.

Unfortunately, I can inform you in advance that this method of construction will never work properly, no matter how you are going to place the resistors / internal coaxial cable(ground)and wire.

The Alpha 2100 HF dummy load construction and compensation (Teflon coax C and Coils) goes up to about 60 MHz with these types of resistors and that is not for nothing.

Take a look at the inside of a Bird dummyload on the internet.

They use a funnel there to get things straight down to a few GHZ. (good VSWR over a wide range).

Marcel

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:49 pm

Marcel wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:33 am Unfortunately, I can inform you in advance that this method of construction will never work properly, no matter how you are going to place the resistors / internal coaxial cable(ground)and wire.
I knew I was not gonna have a perfect dummy with this design from the start :smoke

All I needed was something I could test repaired the ETG1000 at 500W without melting or blowing up :whistle
And I succeeded for a very low price :tup