Is this a Veronica Limiter?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Is this a Veronica Limiter?

Post by MiXiN » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:09 am

The following probably seems like a silly question, but I know some of Hollings gear was labelled as "Veronica".

I've got other things going on at present & have everything radio related on the backburner, but recently picked this up for £30 so thought I'd take a punt.

So, can anyone tell me if this is an oldskool Veronica limiter, or is it made by Hollings. Are they any good?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Is this a Veronica Limiter?

Post by 3metrejim » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:19 am

Looks like a cut down version, the one I remember had the TOKO 15kHz low pass filters on the board.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:39 am

3metrejim wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:19 am Looks like a cut down version, the one I remember had the TOKO 15kHz low pass filters on the board.
After making this post, I had a scan around on Google & did notice the one you talk about with the 3 Toko coils.

I'll hook it up at some stage to see how it performs, and if it's crap it's no big loss.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:04 pm

No - it's a H*****s job. He missed out the low pass filter, and messed with the time constants, so it doesn't work especially well.

I have the updated version of the genuine NRG limiter here somewhere. I designed an op-amp-based lowpass filter for it (using NE5532s) and the results were very similar to using the Toko filter module. I'll dig it out, and put it up here as soon as I find it! With a little modification, you could add an additional LPF to the limiter you have, and make it properly useful.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:26 pm

bf2bd4b67a4349051e37b86d1a00310a.jpg
Yes it is .
One of the rare foto , i still have .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:44 am

Radium - no it isn't. It's a H*****gs "Veronica" (ie: NOT the real one) copy of a Steven Moss design, but it's missing the crucial lowpass audio filter, so it won't be particularly effective as a broadcast limiter.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)