'Legal' radio topics often go here too.
Casual
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: FM Outside London

Post by Casual » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:09 pm

wazza wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:02 pm
What worries me about this thread is a load of middle aged (or in some cases just plain old) men who think they know what "the kids" are into :lol:
My opinion is solely based on a 17 year old in my house/what I hear him/his mates listening to/what they tell me they're listening to over a period of a few years - Trust me, there's no hint of radio (FM or net) anywhere there! It's the online streaming methods stated above which they rely on for anything music related! When it comes to radio (especially FM) they ain't interested & it's referred to as something his grandad would have on in his car! (Smooth FM) This is exactly why nowadays you don't have kids running FM pirates, it's all big (or middle aged) men in there 30's/40's/50's with families who have been plying their trade in it from the 80's/90's. I was involved with pirate radio in London as a DJ for around 20 years from the late 90's & have seen exactly that trend with my own eyes over the years so I know what I'm saying here is fact.

Less of the middle aged too by the way! Mid-30's isn't quite there yet! You're probably older than I am! 😂

SOTS 87 7
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by SOTS 87 7 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Think yourself lucky, I'm older than all of you probably hahaha.
Mr Casual you are right, all my daughter does is either youtube or streaming, some of the crap she listens to...… well, as an OLD school DJ (and radio, 1980's) myself, each to their own I'd say.

whitenoisedb
ne guy
ne guy

Post by whitenoisedb » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Spot on Casual, couldn’t agree with you more. There’s so much rubbish on the dial with no thought given to programming other than keeping the music rolling. That’s just the pirates! Some 6 music shows are good, Angel I.O.W for a bit of novelty. I guess the hardest part nowadays is finding quality DJs who are willing to dig that bit deeper and put in the effort. I’m sounding like a grumpy old git now!

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:14 pm

From what I can tell here in Ireland, it's pop with most of the kids, me sticking out like a sore thumb with my house and drum & bass, and those who like techno usually confine it to the raves and maybe the car. The underground is still alive, although due to Ireland's restricted closing times the thriving scene, while resulting in club sell-outs, appears to exist in the woods and in farmer's sheds, as well as the odd abandoned building. Long live pirate radio, but it won't! As for DAB, while I applaud the new multiplex that recently came on over here, that isn't going to go anywhere with the kids either. At least with FM, they hear it in the car, they know what it is. My friends woul still know what the local radio stations are, not one of them would know what DAB is.