Is non-ionizing radiation at all dangerous?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
OgreVorbis
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Is non-ionizing radiation at all dangerous?

Post by OgreVorbis » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:52 am

I am curious if the radiation from a broadcast antenna is at all dangerous. There is a lot of info on this, but it all seems like unsubstantiated claims. If it is non-ionizing, it shouldn't be able to harm cells, right? So that means the only way it can hurt you is if you feel any warmth or burns. Is this correct?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Is non-ionizing radiation at all dangerous?

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Yes. That's basically;y correct.

Heating effects from proximity to active elements can be destructive to cells. There are no other physiological effects, so the idiots who claim that wi-fi "gives me a headache" are just chancers trying to either make a buck or just inconvenience other people.

I stayed in a Hilton in Atlanta recently, and the Vice-Presidential hopeful Joe Biden was staying there too. He complained that their wi-fi was giving him headaches and demanded that it was turned off. It was then really easy to hear the conversations of his security detail since there was no 2.4GHz traffic masking them. Mu colleague (an American) demonstrated this to two of the security guys by using the Bluetooth receiver in his laptop, and the wi-fi was back on about 2 minutes later.

The hotel didn't tell Biden, but (strangely) he didn't get any headaches!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Didn't the hair of the guys who use to work on the pirate ships back in the 60's start falling out after they'd been on the boat for a while working under the medium wave mast, then it would start to grow back once they were back on land.

I've wondered if i'll end up getting ball cancer as i sit with my laptop on my knee most of the time either connected to wifi, 3g or 4g, rf to the testicles can't be good.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:23 pm

shorty wrote:Didn't the hair of the guys who use to work on the pirate ships back in the 60's start falling out after they'd been on the boat for a while working under the medium wave mast, then it would start to grow back once they were back on land?
Not that I'm aware of.

We used to joke that "Microwaves frizz your heirs". High intensity exposure is probably going to have some detrimental effects, but there's nothing that I've really noticed..... except for this twitch.... ;)
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:01 am

shorty wrote:Didn't the hair of the guys who use to work on the pirate ships back in the 60's start falling out after they'd been on the boat for a while working under the medium wave mast, then it would start to grow back once they were back on land.

I've wondered if i'll end up getting ball cancer as i sit with my laptop on my knee most of the time either connected to wifi, 3g or 4g, rf to the testicles can't be good.
Lol on the ball Cancer comment, but this too has crossed my mind in the past.

Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Undercover Neckz » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:10 am

What a load of bollocks.

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:34 am

some hair removal, uses radio frequency energy, aswell skin tightening! it was shortwave transmitter, theres long been a problem since electrolysis is the only permeneant method that works on all hair colors think the idea was that since laser/ipl only work when theres pigiment in the hair to look for some other way that works on all hair colors without sticking a needle down into every single hair!

as for radio waves been dangerous think thats to do with microwaves their used for cooking things the frequency of moblies is higher up than fm broadcast, people have them right next to their head. cooking :lol:

suspect you problaly wouldn’t want to be stood next to aerial for too long that was chucking out kws, i’m not sure what the safe level of rf, apparently 180dbs of ultrasonic sound (frequency above human hearing) can lead to death!. All i can say is some electromagnetic waves are dangerous, they include like uva wavelenghts of light and gamma rays...anything heating up the skin is bad news