gp aerial number of radials

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

gp aerial number of radials

Post by radionortheast » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:16 am

gpar.jpg
I have one with 4 radials, I was wondering would you get anymore gain by using 8?, I made it out of carboard tubes, want to make it out of better stuff, it keeps falling over at night mostly use it for testing, so thankfully it hasn’t blown anything up. the comercially availble antennas only seem to have 3 radials, really want to replace like for like, worried with 3 the gain might go down.

I’d like to use none metalic mast, i’m struggling to find pvc pipe tube when search on ebay I just get flexable stuff for use in ponds! i’m been struggling trying to make the construction more permenent, trying to think of ways to hold the radials togeather. Using the s0 239 socket, I don’t see how that could be attached to the top of a mast.

the other thing i've noticed is the measurements are different on the pcs website to most online calculators they seem to use the same lenght for the radials as the vertical. I've heard it said it might be better to have them longer, I don't suppose it would do much make much difference..
this is abit like my antenna below
bitlikemine.jpg