power loss

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
fuze
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

power loss

Post by fuze » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:02 am

If i was using a 150watt rig in a flat and the dipole is on the roof and the flat is 3 stories down roughly how much power would i lose, i will prob be using westflex as coax and just on a single dipole, would it be worth doing or would it be more effecient jacking it in the shaft and risk losing the rig to gain more power, i know a station i set up a few years back was lucky enough to have someone on the top floor and we ran the coax into his kitched cupboard and every time ofcom came they just used to chop the coax, has anyone ever herd of someone having a rig in a flat and getting caught, a friend of mine wants to start up a station and he lives on the 5th floor of a 8 storey block and i am looking for some advicre for him ;)

Steve
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: power loss

Post by Steve » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:02 am

We used to drop the coax down the vent and pull it through the access panel to an empty flat on 17th, poxy DTI still got the rig...lol God knows how they worked out where it was. I think the mistake we made was taking the power from the flat, so they knew the rig wasn't in the shaft.

No idea on the cable loss, can't help with that.

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Analyser » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:47 am

Assuming a cable run of 30m to your aerial, you'll see 106W at the antenna for Westflex 103. If you use RG213 it will be 91W.

Personally I would jack the rig, not really because there'll be a noticeable signal difference but if Ofcom decide to find the rig, they will come knocking at your mate's door.

Xerox
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Xerox » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:48 am

Obviously its a good feeling to stop thieves on rooftops. But at the same time with how wannabee gangstaz are these days theyll probably kick the door off. You could make the run of coax longer so people cant estimate which floor his on if they pull the coax out the pl plug. But with a fitectional parabolic mic u can hear thru walls. We used to track studios jus fora wind up

Xerox
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Xerox » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:54 am

Directional parabolic mic sorry. Effin phone its small. Loss wise i dont think itd be noticable with lowloss coax. Weve run direct here in italy for months tho. But its more dificult for them to get a search warrent here. And theres bigger problems like camorra..

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:01 am

How would you estimate coax length if you can only cut it from the top?

Xerox
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Xerox » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:37 am

That why i said if someone pulled it out the pl plug snapped at tx from pullin it on roof. But yeah itd be nearly impossible. But with an scanner n parabolic mic u can track any old school sytem. Infact do what you want not my problm. Id obviously jack it in the shaft like i used to. Supose it dpends if its a serios. Thing or just a bit of fun on a random night. F*ckn chinese touchscreen its impossible to type but i can spell ;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:28 pm

You can't snap them off they are screwed on and besides that it's going to be inside the flat so will get caught up by the opening into flat and other stuff in the way, so what ever you're pulling up on it from it'll be something else you're tugging on and you're more likely to rip part of the wall out! :tup

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Didn't that geezer from Monster Radio (or whatever it was called) run direct? Court case ensued. If it's a council house you'll get evicted as well. Totally not worth it.

fuze
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by fuze » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:47 am

yeah thats true i have been thinking if it is a good idea or not, and i dont think it is to be honest, probably better off jacking it in and hoping nobody can get to it....which im sure someone will...thanks for all of your input

Westflex
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Westflex » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:23 pm

You're playing with fire if you think putting it in a used property is that way forward your pal will get busted and do you trust him enough to not bring you down with him and get yourself a nice hefty fine and suspended sentence, not worth it. Ofcom aint silly they will raid that gaff easily if they come and took a visit at your tx where if they paid a visit and its jacked quite likey wouldn't leave the roof empty handed