Stereo Tool vs Breakaway Broadcast

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:31 am

As most people know these are two of the main players when it comes to computer audio processing.

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but I'd like to hear people's views on with one they prefer and why?

Haven't been on the air for a couple of years but will be having a play at some point in the near future.

The jury is still out with me. I have the latest versions of both and have had a play around.

Stereo Tool has loads of new features (similar to Omnia) whereas BBP hasn't been updated in years (but also has other features similar to Omnia).
I enjoy playing about and fine tuning the settings in ST but BBP still seems to have the edge for me, even after all of these years.

I understand both software developers are now working with the Telios Alliance which would explain a lot about feature like 'undo' & 'declipping'.

Sent using Tapatalk

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Stereo Tool vs Breakaway Broadcast

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:36 am

BBP all the way for me.

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:46 pm

I agree BB has the edge slightly on sound, plus it's nice and simple to use for non-experts.

I prefer the interface of ST because it's more like a real hardware multiband processor so you can understand what you are doing - but that would be a negative point for non experts - far too easy to go really wide of the mark if you don't understand what you are doing.

I still think ST can have a slight "metallic" edge to it compared to BB which just sounds smoooooth. But I've had a bit more success recently with ST staring with Bojcha Unweil FM (Dutch) preset and winding it back to be less aggressive. That discovery has narrowed the audio quality gap between ST and BB for me.

Also ST has the added advantage that it does RDS.

Overall they are both great. I'd say If you don't know what you are doing, choose BB. If you know what you are doing and need RDS, choose ST.

Of course if you are strapped for cash there's always the likes of Sonos 4 and Sound Solution for free. A bit long in the tooth and do not sound as good as ST and BB though!

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:35 pm

BBP can do RDS with Airomate.

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:44 am

Exactly my thoughts gents. Thanks for your opinions. Glad I'm not alone. Haven't used airomate yet, but looks easy to set up.

I ran the BBP demo years ago after spending an eternity trying to get the old version of ST to sound right.
My mates instantly noticed the difference of the smoother sound instantly and I didn't tell them about the change either.

Sent using Tapatalk

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:43 pm

There are a few Open Source options that sound pretty good. "Dan's Louderbox" gets the prize for the loudest thing crammed into 75kHz deviation! It doesn't have the multiband limiting of some of the others, but uses a feed-forward technique to prevent overshoots. Latency is very low, and I've used it on Band II (just to piss off the opposition with an incredibly LOUD-sounding signal) and a version of it on Medium Wave to get the maximum "Talk Power".
There are also compression and limiting plug-ins for some of the OS media players. These can sound excellent.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:38 pm

I've not come across Louderbox before - I was wondering if it can sound any good if it's not multiband, but from a search I see it's 8 band - is that the right one?

Of course another important aspect for transmission not mentioned so far is whether the software does MPX generation or not (looks like Louderbox might not?). Theory suggests that having processor and MPX done by separate boxes is not as good - and I found that in practice when I tried it once - doing it separately was either not as loud, or overly compressed to get equivalent loudness - never a good thing to retain listeners.

User interface on Louderbox looks "nice and techie"!

4therecord
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 4therecord » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:20 pm

I couldn't agree with what NOYB said above about the 2 programs anymore! - what he said! - ditto!!!

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:24 pm

4therecord wrote:I couldn't agree with what NOYB said above about the 2 programs anymore! - what he said! - ditto!!!
Was there a missing "more" there? He asks, milking it.

4therecord
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 4therecord » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:27 pm

haha yes OK.... MORE haha!!!!

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Sorry slightly OT. Calvin Harris and the annoying nob head Nick Grimshaw were linking up from Los Ageles a couple of days ago.
I like the Scottish dude, but their link/uplink was very poor. I'm not a pro but the suitcase Worldcast unit takes the piss. I can't understand why R1 with all their money and resources can't afford something decent like APT?

Sent using Tapatalk

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Sorry, I have loads BTW. Probably under the assumption that everyone has these crazy link units lol

Sent using Tapatalk

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Had a load of analogue link gear. As well

Sent using Tapatalk

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:52 pm

BTW I kind of like the new ST. Been setting the limiters to overdrive the multi bands. It actually sounds fairly good and phat.

Sent using Tapatalk

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:54 pm

I honestly think that ST wins

Sent using Tapatalk

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Can't wait to check the deviation. Reminds me of some dudes teaching me how to sort out the cavity filters :)

Sent using Tapatalk

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Maximus wrote:I honestly think that ST wins
So you seem to have changed your mind. Do you have the fully licenced version of ST with all the extra functionality like declipping, natural dynamics etc? I have an old licence so those are disabled for me - but they do make it sound nicer when enabled. Starts getting expensive though...

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:17 pm

I've been meaning to try out some of the functionality of ST in the open-source world.

However, stereo coding and RDS are easily done in software (though I really like my analogue NRG Pro V prototype coder). I still prefer my delay line based feedforward analogue limiter which uses 2180 VCA chips for low distortion level control. I can set up my analogue gear to sound just as loud as some of this nasty digital stuff, and mine is significantly less distorted!

I must admit to being a mostly analogue engineer when it comes to audio!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sun May 01, 2016 6:51 am

NOYB wrote:
Maximus wrote:I honestly think that ST wins
So you seem to have changed your mind. Do you have the fully licenced version of ST with all the extra functionality like declipping, natural dynamics etc? I have an old licence so those are disabled for me - but they do make it sound nicer when enabled. Starts getting expensive though...
Sorry, was off my head after about 20 pints lol

Yes I have the full version. The natural dynamics makes it sound really good.

Will have to test both processors through a transmitter

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Mon May 02, 2016 10:52 am

Albert H wrote:I can set up my analogue gear to sound just as loud as some of this nasty digital stuff, and mine is significantly less distorted!

I must admit to being a mostly analogue engineer when it comes to audio!
Well yes, I I guess most of us if we had the money would chose a reconditioned 8100A with XT2 chassis. In the meantime though a cheap bit of software is sounding 95% as good!