828AM

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

828AM

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:57 pm

Driving home last night around midnight, and having a bit of a tune around, I got a bit excited when I tuned into 828AM and heard a Cutty Ranks acapella over an Eminem instrumental. I thought I must have found something illicit! Who plays THAT on AM?!

Anyway, the station's still there today and it turns out it's the BBC Asian Network. I had no idea that they had AM frequencies, but it seems that this is coming into Liverpool nicely from Wolverhampton.

Since commercial radio has started to abandon AM, I'm guessing that it will become a bit more common to pull things in from further afield on AM.

Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: 828AM

Post by Persona Non Grata » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:48 pm

Yeah the Asian network started life on some BBC local MW transmitters which were deemed surplus to requirements (on the grounds of being adequately duplicated on FM) leaving the Beeb with the option of starting a new service or losing rights to the frequencies.

Now with the rising popularity of DAB and other digital platforms the AM frequencies are starting to look surplus to requirements again.

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:25 pm

My parents used to listen to Magic 828 on that frequency :lol: i'd often have to fix the radio or they'll complain about whistles in the backround

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

The 837 comes up better with it been closer here, think its the sheriff of Nottingham's transmitter, I heard a mix of atc round the world mixed in with something else, radio scotland does come in much clearer with its traditional Scottish music on 810. I've heard they will want to keep the asian network transmitters going while many asian stations remain on am, this is what i'm reading else were, it maybe speculative