Anyone? Exiter TX's tested 1w to 7w models Sinus /rev / driver board / pira / nrg pll pro III / zozo

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Anyone? Exiter TX's tested 1w to 7w models Sinus /rev / driver board / pira / nrg pll pro III / zozo

Post by yellowbeard » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:13 pm

Everybody knows what I'm gonna say: England 1 - 2 Netherlands
https://www.amateurradioshop.nl/webshop ... broadcast/
https://dutchrfshop.nl/en/235-diy-kits-pcb-s
https://www.enigma-shop.com/kits-modules/ham-broadcast
Seems more difficult to find someone supplying a built up exciter, I don't know if its a legal issue or there's just no profit in it. Both Dutchrfshop and enigma supply built amplifiers as well as kits. With the Dutch fellas there probably will be VAT and import tax - I am in Ireland so it doesn't apply for me! :obv

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Anyone? Exiter TX's tested 1w to 7w models Sinus /rev / driver board / pira / nrg pll pro III / zozo

Post by Albert H » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:52 pm

NorthEast - you need to enlist the help of a friend who is used to working with electronics. Constructing a kit isn't difficult - you need to be able to correctly identify the parts (it'll never work properly if you mix them up) and you need to be able to solder neatly. You'll also need some basic tools and instruments - a multimeter is pretty essential - and (if you're building a 1 Watt exciter) you need a couple of 100Ω ½ Watt carbon resistors, wired in parallel to make a simple 1 Watt 50Ω dummy load for testing purposes....
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

ronald001
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by ronald001 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:34 am

What about the latest RDVV touch screen model, and the model with rotary encoder?
Building the rotary with 1KW final right now, will post some picures later..
Both have SWR and temp protection, and can power down the amplifier

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:44 pm

Looks swanky that display , hot much extra does it add to the price?

Are you saying “rotary encoder” is for volume ? Power? Or tuning ? Having a rotary seems a bit counterintuitive to me, you don’t change it often so I don’t know what wrong with the touch screen (is it just like a fine tuning knob for all parameters ?)
Sony ST 920 QS

ronald001
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by ronald001 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:49 am

Both TX's have identical features - but the one with LCD screen can be controlled with the touch screen, and the one with 4x20 LCD with rotary encoder. Also the one with LCD screen has a deviation meter.

Functions:

- Temperature alarm and indicator
- Current alarm and indicator
- SWR alarm and indicator (still need to calibrate the SWR board)
- FWD REF power indicator
- Voltage indicator
- TX range 84-108 Mhz (In NL below 87.5 Mhz is used for WBDX)

The rotary is 95 euro, and LCD is around 120

(valid for 2 days)

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:10 am

Stanley wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:03 am I tested the Zozo design it worked well.
I found it to have quite a strong 3rd harmonic into the aircraft and 2meter ham band.
If not aligned correctly with my spectrum analyser.
So it could do with better filtering around the doubler stage.
I found the final harmonic filter works OK above 180 mhz...
So If you don't own a spectrum or wave meter, I would avoid using this design and go for a NRG or Veronica kit.
Not sure of you're test bench equipment, but something must be way out of alignment or due a calibration at the very least, or have you mistaken these results with another board??

I setup the board this morning on 98MHz, with the analyser FC set for 145.5Mhz in the 2m band; as you can see there's absolutely nothing to be seen.

The 2nd harnonic is over 60dB down and the 3rd and subsequent harmonics are well and truly in the weeds.
FMTXMK3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Give me a AM transmitter with things that glow any day.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:15 am

Stanley doesn't seem to understand harmonics. There are no harmonic products from that exciter that could end up in the aircraft band, even if the output filter was misaligned.!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:07 am

Albert H wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:15 am Stanley doesn't seem to understand harmonics. There are no harmonic products from that exciter that could end up in the aircraft band, even if the output filter was misaligned.!
I'm not sure how many boards I've personally built and sold, but all of them have had a very clean output in both the harmonic and audio domain. But obvisouly those constructed by others may be very different if they've not built it correctly?

I don't mind constructive criticism of a free open source project, if there honest and true!

A certain individial on a facebook group thingy had a very negative view of the SAA1057 and this board in general; apparenty they also use this forum so I'm told. I'm not interested in facebook, but I was sent a link here:
Give me a AM transmitter with things that glow any day.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:14 pm

Hi Zozo.
The SAA1057 is a fine choice for an exciter, as long as the resistor on pin 1 is increased from the datasheet value of 180Ω to 1kΩ. As we know, the IC was designed for the Philips digitally tuned portable receivers (I used to have one - it was excellent).

The IC was made in huge quantities, because Philips believed that it would be a big seller. Unfortunately, Philips failed entirely to make their controller IC available as they considered its code "proprietary", and the group at Eindhoven that designed it was disbanded. It was an ASIC with keyboard matrix reading, LCD drive for frequency display, I²C bus, and memories for each band for frequently used frequencies, and was a work of art! If they had made that IC available along with the '1057, it would have been the "go-to" tuning option for many other portable radio manufacturers.

The SAA1057s ended up being sold off for pennies, because the radio manufacturers developed their own solutions (or bought the Sharp chipset). This made it fair game for the pirates.

One of the nicer features of the '1057 is the split supplies - the Vcc3 input for example will work up to 33V, giving a big voltage swing for the varicaps. I've made use of this by developing 33V regulated by a zener on the board, using a simple voltage multiplier circuit, and giving the Vcc3 input that raised voltage. This allows the sensitivity of the varicap in the VCO to be made smaller, so that the modulation sensitivity is also reduced, making the modulator less prone to hum and noise issues, whilst allowing the VCO to tune right across the band without any adjustment.

The code that Jan Kolar made available on his "Pira" site works well enough. The only thing it lacks (because of the way the SAA1057 works) is a reliable "locked" detection output. The simplest and most practical solution for that is simply to delay the switch-on of the PA supply for several seconds after power-on. This is viable because of the reliability of the '1057 PLL - it tunes and locks wherever you've set the frequency to within a few seconds - every time!

I've used the IC to tune Band IV and Band V exciters and receivers by adding a prescaler IC and using the SW tuning range. This made for a very cheap solution, especially since I used the 12F609 PIC (62p in quantity!) to load data into the SAA1057. On the pirate gear I sold, I sanded the tops of the PIC, SAA1057 and prescaler to frustrate the copying solder-jockeys. The prescaler I used was the SAB6456, which Philips developed for TV tunerheads, and was another IC that was made in huge quantities and therefore cost next to nothing!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:03 pm

you are bas ass boss :)