Interesting news?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Interesting news?

Post by 3metrejim » Mon May 01, 2023 11:22 pm

Seems that from March 2023 (maybe before, but that is the publication date on the document), OFCOM allows Licence free (Licence exempt short range devices) intentional radiation between 87.5-108MHz at 50mW erp using FM modulation (not a lot, but can cover a small village on a quiet frequency). I was sure it was only something like 10uW before.

Still probably breaking multiple rules if being a 'radio station', and not using 'approved' equipment (but what is approved from China via Ebay / Ali Express?). I found it interesting / surprising anyway.

Page 99/100, here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... r-2030.pdf

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Interesting news?

Post by Polecat » Tue May 02, 2023 8:40 am

Good spot. I think this sentence means ic based transmitters aren’t allowed:

‘This set of usage conditions is only available to transmitters with analogue frequency modulation (FM)’.
Polecat
No Groove Where I Come From

reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by reverend » Tue May 02, 2023 11:41 am

It may be an error, as wireless audio gear in the FM band is usually allowed 50nW not 50mW! And it's in the Networked Equipment category not the wireless audio category.

Definitely a good spot!
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 3metrejim » Tue May 02, 2023 11:59 am

Analogue frequency modulation is just the emission type (you can receive it on an FM radio), how it is generated doesn't matter. Also the frequency range means a simple VFO is ok, no other requirements. Can also be used airborne, so for a little extra range can be fastened to a helium balloon and tethered to float an extra 30ft above the roofline.

From experience with my very first transmitter (made when I was a little kid), 2 BC108 transistors that had barely enough power to light an LED and wouldn't register on a normal power meter could be received at 700m distance easily, and had a maximum range of just over a mile in direct line of sight - simple circuit into a length of wire strung between the window sill and curtain rail (didn't know the first thing about antennas and matching at the time), the transmit end was half way up a hill though.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Tue May 02, 2023 2:27 pm

:D now we need to fly the helix balloons in height and connect wirelessly :D

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Tue May 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Are you all thinking that'd be ideal for solar power? you could have one on every second lamp post...

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Sat May 20, 2023 7:52 pm

I was only looking throught that afew weeks ago, I have something that can transmit on any frequecny. The only one I found were you could transmit audio/music was 893Mhz at 10mw, with wireless exemptions often when they say music is allowed, the stipulation is that it has to be incripted, if there was some frequency were they allowed you to transmit music would you do it thought, most people here want to transmit on fm. I think as fm winds down they’ll be lots more round the house transmitters coming on air, as people put stations back on the vacant channels.