TuneIn Licensing Obligations...

Discuss online-only, streaming stations from around the World Wide Web.
whitenoisedb
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

TuneIn Licensing Obligations...

Post by whitenoisedb » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:48 pm

I've received this today, looks like end is near for 99% of stations on the platform....
Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 22.40.15.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whitenoisedb
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: TuneIn Licensing Obligations...

Post by whitenoisedb » Wed May 04, 2022 8:32 am

TuneIn have now made many stations unavailable, even some fully legit stations who I guess weren't able to provide the required info. It's also interesting to see that some stations have slipped through too. I think TuneIn no longer have the dominance that they once had so not much of an issue unless you solely relied on TuneIn....

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Wed May 04, 2022 4:22 pm

Alexa relies on TuneIn for a lot of station feeds. Not a problem if the station is registered paid with PRS/PPL

peterogerspirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by peterogerspirate » Wed May 04, 2022 10:05 pm

https://onlineradiobox.com/ always been far better anyway

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Thu May 05, 2022 7:09 am

TuneIn is a full on legal business and is happy to make legitimate money off the UK market by way of advertising and subscriptions. With an audience as large as TuneIn's with wiretaps (""smart"" speakers) being integrated, it wasn't going to be long until they were going to ask for PRS/PPL proof from the stations they were essentially making money off.
OnlineRadioBox is better certainly, but its hard to find the actual company behind it (if there is any). Its market share is smaller and given the fact that its funded by online advertising which could come from anywhere, it doesn't have to care about PPL/PRS (if PPL/PRS even cared for such a comparatively small site).

The house always wins :tup.
FM for lyfe!

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Thu May 05, 2022 8:09 am

Casual
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Casual » Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 am

Audials is & always has been far better than Tunein anyway. It's database is very similar (if not the same) & it's app/website has better functionality (e.g. no geo restrictions, a record function & the ability to manually add/save a station that isn't already listed on their database).

http://live.audials.com/en#!/radio

Tunein really have shot themselves in the foot with this move, but it was never that great anyway so fuck em!

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri May 06, 2022 11:47 pm

mpx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:22 pm Alexa relies on TuneIn for a lot of station feeds. Not a problem if the station is registered paid with PRS/PPL
It's trivial to add the "Simple Radio" skill. The command you then issue is "Alexa, ask Simple Radio to play [Station Name]" - this works well (I use it all the time since TuneIn became useless).
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

trancetechnic
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by trancetechnic » Sat May 07, 2022 1:22 pm

Casual wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 am Audials is & always has been far better than Tunein anyway. It's database is very similar (if not the same) & it's app/website has better functionality (e.g. no geo restrictions, a record function & the ability to manually add/save a station that isn't already listed on their database).

http://live.audials.com/en#!/radio

Tunein really have shot themselves in the foot with this move, but it was never that great anyway so fuck em!
Can't blame Tunein entirely! It's the greedy bunch behind them (Warner Bros. & Sony!). It's just another method done to 'KILL the Competition!' (Pirates) that are harming their bank accounts. :whistle
:tup

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Sat May 07, 2022 4:07 pm

Most underground/electronic/dance stations play music that isn't on those labels. But playing anything copyrighted needs permission or licensing.

djmikespeed
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by djmikespeed » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:30 pm

It was a little time consuming and took a few months to sort but you can get your own Alexa Skill set up buy Amazon.

I now have "Alexa", "Play React Radio UK", this plays direct from the server by passing TuneIn. Also plays on a Amazon Firestick :) 8-)
Mike Speed | http://www.djmikespeed.co.uk | Soundcloud & Mixcloud - /djmikespeed | http://www.reactradio.uk | Underground & Oldskool Beats | 24-7

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:16 pm

tunein dead now; they killed themselfs; plenty of online radio apps out there, https://onlineradiobox.com has taken over; all the pirates are on there..

Wk-end
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Wk-end » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:45 pm

djmikespeed wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:30 pm It was a little time consuming and took a few months to sort but you can get your own Alexa Skill set up buy Amazon.

I now have "Alexa", "Play React Radio UK", this plays direct from the server by passing TuneIn. Also plays on a Amazon Firestick :) 8-)
We have done this as well "Alexa", "Play Weekend radio skill" Only need to say it one time & The just..."Alexa play weekend radio" .
http://stream.wk-end.co.uk/

Studio Number> 07551-887-997

Lee2310
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Lee2310 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:58 pm

Any advice to get Google Nest to play anything which isn't on tune in?

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by radionortheast » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:28 pm

I heard a rumour some were that they were prioritizing licenced stations online, I suppose you’d be more prone to believe in it whats happened to tunein is because of that, I don’t know the answer :?

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:33 pm

, Lee, you could try MyTuner i believe its on most platforms, only thing i find mildly annoying is they wont let you stream American stations on the samsung tv app or ios app. Uk work fine. My tuner also works on my apple car play

The other radio.net app
Sony ST 920 QS