IS FM DEAD?

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: IS FM DEAD?

Post by thewisepranker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 am

I play on an London pirate and when the FM goes off, as it inevitably will, people text in asking "how comes we can't pick you up any more?" etc. Is it dead? Not in my opinion.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:01 pm

thewisepranker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 am I play on an London pirate and when the FM goes off, as it inevitably will, people text in asking "how comes we can't pick you up any more?" etc. Is it dead? Not in my opinion.
Well said :tup

When I first started ''Brian'' he informed the listeners of his email addy at the top of every hour after the news ;)

I expected loads of emails, complaining or having a go at me etc... but = Nothing for two months

Then one day the old 15W transmitter died a death and he wen't off air :cry:

I got 20+ emails in one day asking what has happened and will he be coming back on and when :lol:

FM is NOT dead :mrgreen:
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 am

The obverse of that is the commercial station in the UK that managed to broadcast their 6-hour overnight tape backwards and got no complaints at all!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Albert H wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 am The obverse of that is the commercial station in the UK that managed to broadcast their 6-hour overnight tape backwards and got no complaints at all!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:14 am FM is not dead! FACT! Just because some youngstas have alternative media, It does not mean nobody is listening!
Some of the youngstas still like radio. ;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:15 pm

I think it's fair to say that there's nowhere near as many people listening to the FM radio as back say 20+ years ago but people do still own radios and do still listen.

....I think it all depends on the area you are covering, how well you are covering it and if there is a demand or need for your radio content in that area.

Say for example you come on out of London (where there are little or no other stations) with good signal coverage playing a decent range of music then it shouldn't take too long to build up quite a following, but in London you could put the same fresh thing on and not even get 10% of the response with it out of London with all the competition and much less choice of decent frequencies.

So I think although a lot less people do still listen to FM compared to the good old days - there are stilll people out there listening.

-FM-4-LiFe -

-Keepin The Dial Alive Since 1995-