Alright people I am new as fuck but I’m eager.

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Alright people I am new as fuck but I’m eager.

Post by easynoooow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:50 pm

I’m from Northern Ireland. I’m thinking abou getting into this so I need to know:

-Basic equipment I need to start off, where to get them.
-Punishment and how tough they are. I heard in London their hands are full with hundreds of pirate radios. What would happen to me over here? Prison, fines? Which government body is responsible for this? What is the legal way?

Any other tip are also appreciated :tup

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Alright people I am new as fuck but I’m eager.

Post by fmuser877 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 pm

In London, it would be hard to be heard on FM its so full and they are now putting community stations over pirates to.
Lucky where you are there should be plenty of space.
you prob need at least 30 watts in London and it would go that far and not to be over any else.

easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Post by easynoooow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:33 pm

fmuser877 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 pm In London, it would be hard to be heard on FM its so full and they are now putting community stations over pirates to.
Lucky where you are there should be plenty of space.
you prob need at least 30 watts in London and it would go that far and not to be over any else.
In my town a 15 watt transmitter can cover the whole town which is good for me. Of course, if i understood the product correctly on ebay. Woud a 15 watt transmitter do 8km radius?

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm

depends a 5/8 aerial might boost the signal more.
I may order one of these
https://www.a****f.com/en/5-8-fm-transm ... i4Jv8fRgMA

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm

why is the link blocked?
it should be a 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA 4.7 dBI GAIN OMNI DIRECTIONAL TEFLON N FEMALE CONNECTOR 1KW RATED (58a).

easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Post by easynoooow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

fmuser877 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm why is the link blocked?
it should be a 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA 4.7 dBI GAIN OMNI DIRECTIONAL TEFLON N FEMALE CONNECTOR 1KW RATED (58a).
What else do you know bruva? What about the punishments?

Gigahertz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Gigahertz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:01 pm

My best advice:
- Look at Ofcom or Comreg website and search "unlicensed broadcasters" if your worried about fines/prison!

- Search through the forum in the "Anorak section" their is plenty of topics to get an insight on equipment, how to make certain pieces of equipment.
Here's a link of a basic transmitter setup: http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgworkshop/ba ... system.htm

- Build a project ie: dipole antenna and plug it into your FM receiver, Tune around and see if you can find more stations, you never know you might hear unlicensed station near you?
Here's a link: http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgworkshop/ha ... aerial.htm

You could skip these section but ideally it will help you get a brief understanding about some form of radio!
- Buy/fine a cheap "CB radio, SWR and Antenna" get practice wiring it up, solder on PL-259 connectors on coax, tuning the antenna. Loads of videos on youtube about this. But don't play music over it, scan the channels and speak to someone so you know you've got it working. Talk about your setup and ask them where location is and not that you want to become a unlicensed broadcaster.
(The reason I say CB instead of buying a broadcaster transmitter) if you learn with this you won't get raided as CB's don't need a licence in the UK and the last thing you want is trying to learn with a FM transmitter in you back garden cause interference to someone FM radio and grassing you up.

- Once you've learnt how to wire up a CB, tune antenna, then look at finding a transmitter. But you will struggle to find a half decent transmitter that doesn't cause interference cause most people buy cheap Chinese transmitters off ebay. I think if you show people on here a bit keenness on building something, Some radionecks member's might give you a better idea where to get stuff from?

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am

Interestingly enough just across the border there's two high power AM pirates (Radio North and Radio Star Country) who have been going for years with next to no punishment.

The best advice I can give to avoid trouble is don't do anything to give you attention, act like a legit station and most people won't notice. Don't broadcast anything which would get a legal station in trouble (i.e. swearing, violence and the like) and they might just leave you alone. I think the 'com is more prioritised on other things nowadays so if you aren't interfering or being a complete nuisance it's not high on their list. Besides, NI always gets the short straw from the UK anyway so it's probably one of the safer places to do it :P.
FM for lyfe!

easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Post by easynoooow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:44 am

Gigahertz wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:01 pm My best advice:
- Look at Ofcom or Comreg website and search "unlicensed broadcasters" if your worried about fines/prison!

- Search through the forum in the "Anorak section" their is plenty of topics to get an insight on equipment, how to make certain pieces of equipment.
Here's a link of a basic transmitter setup: http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgworkshop/ba ... system.htm

- Build a project ie: dipole antenna and plug it into your FM receiver, Tune around and see if you can find more stations, you never know you might hear unlicensed station near you?
Here's a link: http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgworkshop/ha ... aerial.htm

You could skip these section but ideally it will help you get a brief understanding about some form of radio!
- Buy/fine a cheap "CB radio, SWR and Antenna" get practice wiring it up, solder on PL-259 connectors on coax, tuning the antenna. Loads of videos on youtube about this. But don't play music over it, scan the channels and speak to someone so you know you've got it working. Talk about your setup and ask them where location is and not that you want to become a unlicensed broadcaster.
(The reason I say CB instead of buying a broadcaster transmitter) if you learn with this you won't get raided as CB's don't need a licence in the UK and the last thing you want is trying to learn with a FM transmitter in you back garden cause interference to someone FM radio and grassing you up.

- Once you've learnt how to wire up a CB, tune antenna, then look at finding a transmitter. But you will struggle to find a half decent transmitter that doesn't cause interference cause most people buy cheap Chinese transmitters off ebay. I think if you show people on here a bit keenness on building something, Some radionecks member's might give you a better idea where to get stuff from?
Hey I appreciate you taking your time and writing all this man! I will definetly dive into the hardware part of the forum deeper but last time I checked it was very technical. I'll try to get around it, I guess. By the way is there a brand or shop you can suggest to me for a transmitter? Also the dipole antenna where can I buy it rather than making it like in the pdf you sent. I would love to first learn the basic radio but my wallet is kinda limited brother :mrgreen:

easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Post by easynoooow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:45 am

g33ky wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am Interestingly enough just across the border there's two high power AM pirates (Radio North and Radio Star Country) who have been going for years with next to no punishment.

The best advice I can give to avoid trouble is don't do anything to give you attention, act like a legit station and most people won't notice. Don't broadcast anything which would get a legal station in trouble (i.e. swearing, violence and the like) and they might just leave you alone. I think the 'com is more prioritised on other things nowadays so if you aren't interfering or being a complete nuisance it's not high on their list. Besides, NI always gets the short straw from the UK anyway so it's probably one of the safer places to do it :P.
I have a question. What is the difference between AM and FM. Are there more people listening to FM frequencies? Is AM harder to find? I was thinking of buying a FM transmitter bruva

Gigahertz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Gigahertz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 pm

easynoooow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:44 am

Hey I appreciate you taking your time and writing all this man! I will definetly dive into the hardware part of the forum deeper but last time I checked it was very technical. I'll try to get around it, I guess. By the way is there a brand or shop you can suggest to me for a transmitter? Also the dipole antenna where can I buy it rather than making it like in the pdf you sent. I would love to first learn the basic radio but my wallet is kinda limited brother :mrgreen:
No problem, There were a few businesses that supplied kits/build units but the days of buying from companies like that are long gone.

You might be lucky and find used transmitters on ebay but again you need to know who made it or know how to retune it for the freq you require.

Unforunately I can't point you in the right direction as my pirate days are long gone and I just experiment on building my own stuff for personal development and what can be achieved but never put on air.

Heres an example of a poorly made dipole antenna sold on ebay (item number#322199979538 but as it doesnt have a balun its still not right! This is why its best to make your own and even if you still want most of the parts buy this and cut it for size add your balun to this https://www.moonraker.eu/dp-4-4-metre-v ... tenna-3635

Good luck!

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:02 pm

easynoooow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:45 am
g33ky wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am Interestingly enough just across the border there's two high power AM pirates (Radio North and Radio Star Country) who have been going for years with next to no punishment.

I have a question. What is the difference between AM and FM. Are there more people listening to FM frequencies? Is AM harder to find? I was thinking of buying a FM transmitter bruva
AM and FM are different modulation techniques but which also use entirely different frequency bands. AM is the old standard and there's not much on it nowadays, pretty much everyone uses FM and digital radio. It's not harder to find if you know what you're looking for, but pretty much noone will bother as it's not much of a problem. The only reason I mentioned it is because I find it funny that two full-power stations have pretty much no issues simply cause they're on the AM band.

You'll want an FM transmitter though, ask around. If you want to have a go yourself try the Veroncia 1w PLL, you can buy it pre-assembled or as a kit. It's only 1W so won't go far but stick it into an amplifier and antenna and you're good :tup.
FM for lyfe!

easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Post by easynoooow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:05 pm

g33ky wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:02 pm

AM and FM are different modulation techniques but which also use entirely different frequency bands. AM is the old standard and there's not much on it nowadays, pretty much everyone uses FM and digital radio. It's not harder to find if you know what you're looking for, but pretty much noone will bother as it's not much of a problem. The only reason I mentioned it is because I find it funny that two full-power stations have pretty much no issues simply cause they're on the AM band.

You'll want an FM transmitter though, ask around. If you want to have a go yourself try the Veroncia 1w PLL, you can buy it pre-assembled or as a kit. It's only 1W so won't go far but stick it into an amplifier and antenna and you're good :tup.
The amplifier will make it go further right? Veroncia 1w PLL. I will check it out rn

easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Post by easynoooow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Gigahertz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 pm
easynoooow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:44 am

No problem, There were a few businesses that supplied kits/build units but the days of buying from companies like that are long gone.

You might be lucky and find used transmitters on ebay but again you need to know who made it or know how to retune it for the freq you require.

Unforunately I can't point you in the right direction as my pirate days are long gone and I just experiment on building my own stuff for personal development and what can be achieved but never put on air.

Heres an example of a poorly made dipole antenna sold on ebay (item number#322199979538 but as it doesnt have a balun its still not right! This is why its best to make your own and even if you still want most of the parts buy this and cut it for size add your balun to this https://www.moonraker.eu/dp-4-4-metre-v ... tenna-3635

Good luck!
Make my own antenna!? How hard is it?

easynoooow
ne guy
ne guy

Post by easynoooow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Yo I can't seem to find the Veroncia 1w PLL. It's just schematics and very old websites. Can you give me a hand?

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 pm

easynoooow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Yo I can't seem to find the Veroncia 1w PLL. It's just schematics and very old websites. Can you give me a hand?
You can find pre-assembled versions online from a****f (the site doesn't like the company being mentioned). I can see you're not too familiar with things like this, so I'd recommend asking in the buy and sell forum for a starter kit with exciter, amplifier and antenna, they might be able to help you out a bit and show how everything works.
FM for lyfe!

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Gigahertz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Gigahertz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:02 pm

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 pm

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm

Blue pll pro3 looks pretty smart and looks very well done. Good price for 150 quid well worth it's value for money.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk