best pll thats not nrg or veronica

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: best pll thats not nrg or veronica

Post by Albert H » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:29 am

The NRG-NZ rigs might cost a bit more than a thrown together European sprog box, and they're certainly not Chinese! They're using some very new DDS synthesis techniques, careful board layouts and quality parts. They are well ahead of the rest.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

mikroman
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by mikroman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:42 pm

Albert H wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:21 am
DJEquinox wrote: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:15 pm pcs transmitters are very good and cheap, digital control of even the low cost one with lcd
They used to be good, but Marko seems to have lost the plot lately. We've seen lots of his gear around eastern Europe, and most of it was broken! The few we've seen working were nasty, sproggy messes.
I had the opportunity to test various PCS products, primarily transmitters from the 3000 to 7000 generation. They didn't break down much, but only the 3015v3 and 2015v3 generations had both a decent mpx response and a clean spectrum. Obsolete 6015 and especially 7015 had an overshoot problem below 150Hz. Also obsolete 6050 had a problem with overheating and spurs. There are other minor complaints on boxed unit, they do not have the possibility of regulating the mpx via the front or rear panel, the bnc connectors are not attached to the chassis, so they can fall off if you use rg213 or thicker cables. The LCD display does not show the exact deviation, nor the reflection, but what is completely accurate is the output power (0-15w). What I can call decent is the 2015 series which is still on sale. But keep in mind that you will need to change the electrolyte on the pll loop filter. Also 2015 does not have a trimmer for fine tuning the frequency and deviations from approx. 1 to 3KHz are possible. Marko claims that the new 8000 series is excellently composed, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. RDS encoders also work well. Analog stereo encoders are another story.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:30 pm

There's nothing out there that doesn't beat a nrg pll. The quality is phenomenal. However I do know the nrg pro4 isn't as good as the 3 version for what ever I reason I don't know I hear alot of folk saying pro4 cases alot of spurs. I haven't tried one but going with comments.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:20 pm

If you’re any good at putting kits together, these 15w exciters are good and only cost 60 euro.

https://www.amateurradioshop.nl/webshop ... print.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: best pll thats not nrg or veronica

Post by Electronically » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:39 pm

Maximus wrote:If you’re any good at putting kits together, these 15w exciters are good and only cost 60 euro.

https://www.amateurradioshop.nl/webshop ... print.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trust you to put amateur gear on this are they trusted? Lol.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:45 am

One of our guys bought two of those 15W kits for a little private project he was working on. They were reasonably easy to assemble, and their performance was remarkably good considering their price. We didn't like their variable output power facility - it added spurious when the power was reduced - but at full power, they were clean enough. They were remarkable value at just €60 each! They arrived (to an address in Belgium) in five days after order.

Recommended for lower power stand-alone transmitters - a bit too powerful for most modern FET amplifiers!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:31 pm

DJEquinox wrote: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:15 pm pcs transmitters are very good and cheap, digital control of even the low cost one with lcd
My PCS transmitter has problems with spurious. Response from them was "buy a newer model"!

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 pm

I had a Tugicom board that performed well

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:03 pm

NOYB wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 pm I had a Tugicom board that performed well
I use a Tugicom TX180 1W Exciter for ''Brian'' :whistle

I have had no problem with it, it's clean and stable if you use a decent RF suppressed power supply.

:tup
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:29 am

I've used a couple of Tugicom TX190 boards. They work well, and include a basic limiter, pre-emphasis, stereo coder and RDS. They're a bit expensive for "throw-away" gear though, at around €450 each
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)