Moonraker 5/8 Wave FALSE specs claiming 4.5dBd of gain!

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Moonraker 5/8 Wave FALSE specs claiming 4.5dBd of gain!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Probably just best to leave it as doesn't look like it's damaged, just got a bit hot.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: Moonraker 5/8 Wave FALSE specs claiming 4.5dBd of gain!

Post by Electronically » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:12 pm

teckniqs wrote:Probably just best to leave it as doesn't look like it's damaged, just got a bit hot.
Yea it does look like it's just been over heated it's just the plastic red jacket will do no harm thought.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:25 pm

I expect it was either caused by a bad SWR or excessive power.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:30 pm

teckniqs wrote:I expect it was either caused by a bad SWR or excessive power.
Yea it's maxed for 200 Watts if he has put it above that then yup could have been the issue. And along side the bad swr would not help either. I've yet to fire this up to test it on mfj259c analyser. I've no idea what frequency it's set for I'll soon find out when I throw it up.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:03 am

The 5/8 wave I've got is 5 feet 9 which is is set for 97mhz no a bad swr thought.

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:52 pm

I would recommend you read this page before considering an antenna from pcs
https://www.fmbroadcastantenna.com/exte ... tenna.html

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 am

Another thing I have heard about pcs and I don't know if they still do this, they have been known to scrub markings off finals, and then insist that the board is sent back to them for repair when the final needs replacing. It's possible to work out which final may have been used, by narrowing it down from the package, output power, supply voltage, and output/input matching impedance's etc... this is time consuming work.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:07 pm

They do, unfortunately.

We had one of their 400W "Cybermax" things on the bench a while ago. It was pretty inside - Marko has spent plenty of money on getting the PCBs to look good. He's also very competent when it comes to the software controls for his products. Unfortunately, his gear doesn't match up to the specifications he claims on his website.

On his site, he claims "Harmonics >-60dB" - it certainly attains that - the second was -36dBc and the third was -39dBc - hardly stellar performance - it's like the lowpass filter on the output isn't working! There were also plenty of in-band spurs around the (nominal) carrier frequency. These would have wiped out local reception over much of the band - they were not huge, but would certainly prevent this device being used in a populated area. Each of the harmonics was also surrounded by a forest of little spurs.....

The unit was meant to deliver 400 Watts when turned up to maximum (he claims that this may be ±10%). We got around 285 Watts out of a factory-fitted PA device that's rated at 250 Watts......

The stereo coder isn't too good - the distortion (he claims 0.1%) was horrible, with all sorts of nasty artefacts from the audio lowpass filtering. The "built-in limiter" doesn't actually limit - it compresses with a moderately high ratio, but allows overshoots, and isn't good enough to be used as a protection limiter (a pair of back-to-back diodes would do a better job!).

Marko's spent his money on making the things look pretty to the uninformed. You would hope that - at the price he's charging - the unit would work properly. It was very disappointing. The owner of the thing returned it to Slovenia and requested refund of the equipment price and carriage. I don't know if he's been refunded yet.

Against our advice (we hoped to make a sale!), he bought what turned out to be a really nice Korean-built rig rated at 500 Watts. He has separate audio processing and stereo coder, so his transmitter plant is now 6U high instead of 2U, but the gear works flawlessly. He ended up paying slightly more for his equipment, but it now fully conforms to the local broadcast specification, sounds good on the air, and can broadcast without causing local interference (apart from overloaded receivers, of course!). I've been invited down there when this damn "lockdown" finishes, so I have a nice trip to the Far East to look forward to next winter!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Pcs almost need their own thread , thanks Albert for the extra insight, I was shocked when I saw the antenna fake article, I bet people feel very cheated to find out they don’t have the original and have inferior products at inflated prices. I’m sure they are good for some stuff, but makes you second guess everything website now

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Also:
Beware of DMR Electronics in the Netherlands. They re-sell PCS gear at incredibly inflated prices.

They're also trying to sell 10W rigs for "Drive-In Cinema" use! The last Drive-In job I did used 80mW out of the rig into a dipole, with stereo and RDS. It covered the field that they were using and a couple of hundred metres around the area. It was ideal. It was easily received on all car radios. I can't imagine a need for more than a couple of hundred milliwatts at most!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Yeah i agree you wouldn’t need that sort of power for drive in cinema, still, I’m sure some people will end up falling foul of these places/prices , alright if what your getting is for broadcast use and of a quality that matches its price, but most people will show what they think of inflated prices with their feet and go elsewhere.

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Here’s my new exciter, this will beat the pcs exciters by far - no in band noise and harmonics are -70dBc. Phase noise -115dBc/Hz at 10KHz offset.

PLL reference is a TCXO temperature compensated

Power output is 10W variable, this provides enough drive for multiple pallets combined together for big power.

LCD will also give you the forward and reverser power, swr, and also the deviation.

Modulation is DC coupled and is linear and flat from 30Hz to 57KHz.
402406B1-9875-4F61-AA99-775D024892B7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:46 pm

nrgkits.nz wrote:Here’s my new exciter, this will beat the pcs exciters by far - no in band noise and harmonics are -70dBc. Phase noise -115dBc/Hz at 10KHz offset.

PLL reference is a TCXO temperature compensated

Power output is 10W variable, this provides enough drive for multiple pallets combined together for big power.

LCD will also give you the forward and reverser power, swr, and also the deviation.

Modulation is DC coupled and is linear and flat from 30Hz to 57KHz.
402406B1-9875-4F61-AA99-775D024892B7.jpeg
Looks OK. But hoping your not going to make that as a kit for building they smd chips are annoying to solder in I Ken you use solder paste but still annoying lol. I prefer through hole chips

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:46 pm

nrgkits.nz wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:17 pm Here’s my new exciter....
Power output is 10W variable.
How is it variable, by what means, is there a memory of the last power out setting ?
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:35 pm

I’m getting a run of boards assembled by a local assembly place here on pick and place machine - I’ll be busy this weekend reeling the components ready for them to load along with the panels.

The output power is set using an onboard trimmer, and is monitored by an AGC circuit. It will stay on the power level you set it at, and will not drift up and down with temperature.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:23 am

nrgkits.nz wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:35 pm The output power is set using an onboard trimmer, and is monitored by an AGC circuit. It will stay on the power level you set it at, and will not drift up and down with temperature.
Thanks for the info... :tup

Monitored by an AGC circuit = Good
Will stay on the power level you set it at = Good
Will not drift up and down with temperature = Good
But... A bit more info please :?:
Can it go from 0 - 100% ?
Instead of the trimmer could I bring out three cables from the board to an external pot ?

Thanks 8-)
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Electronically wrote:Middle coil and loading coil same, as yours technics bottom part. ImageImage

This antenna is actually a 3/4 wave not a 5/8 wave I don't know how they class them as 5/8 waves antennas.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:05 pm

nrgkits.nz wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:35 pm The output power is set using an onboard trimmer.
A bit more info please :?:

Instead of the trimmer could I bring out three cables from the board to an external pot (is it DC controlled) ?

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 am

BriansBrain wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:05 pm
nrgkits.nz wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:35 pm The output power is set using an onboard trimmer.
A bit more info please :?:

Instead of the trimmer could I bring out three cables from the board to an external pot (is it DC controlled) ?

Not quite 0% but close enough, it will got from about 50mW up to 10W. You could bring out three cables if you wanted, however you would first need to de-solder the SMT trimpot and then solder your three cables to the tiny solder pads. It's DC controlled. I would recommend just leaving it as it.