Has UK Garage and oldskool hardcore & jungle music ever been played in America?

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Do you think it would be good to have a station in a city over there playing UKG muisc , house and hardcore the sort that was played here?
I know Todd Edwards is american but is he more well known hear?
there also lots of UKG mixs on mix cloud but I wonder what America would think if it were played in a club?

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Has UK Garage and oldskool hardcore & jungle music ever been played in America?

Post by thewisepranker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:11 am

Only one way to find out. I'd love to get on that. I reckon there's loads of people out there that don't even know that 1. this type of music exists and 2. they like it.

Not sure whether anyone's tried hardcore and jungle and/or whether they Yanks like that kind of thing.

I would imagine that Todd largely targeted the UK with his tunes in the mid 90s, but I don't know for sure. I was born in 1989 so I'm not really qualified to give a proper answer. I was 3-4 years old when he started bringing out the serious tunes like Main Vibe, Guide My Soul etc.
Todd gets mentioned here and appears for an interview within a few seconds.
It's not clear when the Todd tunes started to get played at the garage nights but the clips before he appears are probably 1996-1997 as the tune playing in one of the clips is called "To Be Released June 1997".
Keep watching from that timestamp and you'll see that they interview Todd. He doesn't mention any dates though.
The "New Trend EP" they're talking about is this one: https://www.discogs.com/Todd-Edwards-Ne ... ease/76746
Released 1995 so those Todd tunes might have been about in 1994.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Has UK Garage and oldskool hardcore & jungle music ever been played in America?

Post by thewisepranker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 am

In case the above doesn't work on mobile devices, the timestamp is 30 minutes and 30 seconds into the following video:

SD-E1102
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by SD-E1102 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 pm

DJ EZ has played in the USA before so there must be some exposure to UKG out there but I doubt it will get any airplay in the radio out there. Same goes with drum & bass but not sure when it comes to jungle or hardcore.
Pirate Radio's not a problem, it's a solution

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:54 pm

There's not really much call for it over there, the pirates over there tend to be mainly Caribbean or Spanish and dance music doesn't seem to be very popular over there. I don't think it would get anywhere near the same kind of response you would get many places elsewhere.

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:03 am

It would be cool to have a loud car going around the cities also blasting out UKG over there say down LA beach.

whitenoisedb
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by whitenoisedb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:14 pm

There was a small hardcore scene in NY, DJ Dara was probably the most popular for that in mid to late 90s

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:16 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s just ‘house’ music in America

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:29 pm

Hardcore and Jungle did make it over there, Suburban Base even set up a US version of their label.

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Yes it has I have a friend who lives in America with a little aerial he puts up when I do radio, he links the audio from the online station and it goes out on the FM over there, does that count? lol. The listeners seemed to like it! I have played old skool hardcore, happy hardcore, jungle, dnb and even trance on the radio and they seemed to have lapped it up mostly asking "what is this? its aweeesssommme". My friend would PM me on FB and get me to do shouts lol was crazy.

Nick_G
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Nick_G » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:23 am

I've heard jungle/hardcore/drum & bass played on the likes of KFJC before, so yes it does get played on certain stations in the US. KFJC is a college station, and some of their programming is very underground and experimental.