Caribean Stations and Ads?

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Caribean Stations and Ads?

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:08 am

What's with all of the Caribbean pirates in London having so many adverts between shows? I sometimes do a check on the London pirate streams (an online bandscan, if you will!) and some of the Caribbean/black community orientated stations seem to be playing hardly anything except adverts for Carribean dinner dances, reggae parties etc.. Must be a few bob being made there surely? I mean with the amount of advertising they're pulling in there must be some profit coming out of them. Anyone know the story or if these stations actually make much extra cash?

wazza

Re: Caribean Stations and Ads?

Post by wazza » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:05 am

I think the same could be said for some of the dance stations too. I remember listening to Freeze in London back in the 00's and there was around 30 mins of adverts back to back at the beginning of each show. The black pirate stations here in Birmingham tend to split them up and play a few each half hour which is better. I'm sure there is money being made but in fairness they also run ads for community events and public health, e.g. prostate cancer and HIV test kits.

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am

Ads on pirate stations are one of the reasons Ofcom tends to target some stations more than others, since its unregulated business. I noticed with the black stations they'll mention eachother in the ads, a station I was listening to mentioned Citylock. Select has the same ad on every hour and I know it off by heart at this point :lol:. I know some stations do try and put good ads on too, like drink-driving ads and anti-knife ads. Citybeats in Birmingham puts on an ad intended for young (like age 5) kids to listen to about being safe around strangers, makes me think what type of kid would be listening to hardcore DnB lol.
FM for lyfe!

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:23 am

That's a real mystery about the ads on those stations its been like that for years and is very tedious compared to quiet a lot of radio stations who have none

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am

Most of the adverts seem to have the same guy doing them, he's been about for years and I first heard him doing adverts on Reggae stations back in the early 90s.

....I noticed the same thing with a different guy on a lot of NYC pirates all using their same guy on the adverts.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 pm

It happens on some dance stations as well, one DnB station in particular has always been particularly proliphic. I've heard a few voices on the black stations, one guy who's particularly skillful does the ads at around a million miles an hour...sure I know it's all computers but still! As for stations mentionijng other stations I hear that mostly in generic event ads which would've been sent out to every station, so it's not the station directly associating itself with another.

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 pm

teckniqs wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am Most of the adverts seem to have the same guy doing them, he's been about for years and I first heard him doing adverts on Reggae stations back in the early 90s.

....I noticed the same thing with a different guy on a lot of NYC pirates all using their same guy on the adverts.
Yeah, I know the voice you mean. There was another one back in the late 80s/early 90s who did the Jet Star stuff like Reggae Hits Vol. X etc...

Interesting about NYC stations using the same guy too.

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am

bristolpirates wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 pm
teckniqs wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am Most of the adverts seem to have the same guy doing them, he's been about for years and I first heard him doing adverts on Reggae stations back in the early 90s.

Yeah, I know the voice you mean. There was another one back in the late 80s/early 90s who did the Jet Star stuff like Reggae Hits Vol. X etc...

I know the voice too, speaks really fast promoting raves and stuff. Who is he? Great ad voice.
FM for lyfe!

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:05 pm

There's another guy as well, maybe it's the same one. Not the one speaks really fast, has or puts on a kid's clown sort of voice, does the Juicy Roots ad on Venture anyway at least I think.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 am

g33ky wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am

I know the voice too, speaks really fast promoting raves and stuff. Who is he? Great ad voice.
I heard the guy's name is Nathaniel B. Lee, and much to my susrprise he is even a House DJ and played on various stations including London's Passion FM and Select UK....

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am

teckniqs wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 am
g33ky wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am

I heard the guy's name is Nathaniel B. Lee, and much to my susrprise he is even a House DJ and played on various stations including London's Passion FM and Select UK....

Considering Select is my main station and that he is a regular on the station, how the hell I never recognised his voice from the ads I have no idea. Thanks for pointing it out :tup.
FM for lyfe!

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm

I remember at one time Kool kept running shit loads of ads cutting into the next DJ's set seemed hardly worth him playing for an hour and 45 mins. My old local pirate just used to play about 3 ads that were short at the top of every set one for a barbers and two just station ID's or event ads here and there.
Cant stay Ive listened to many carribean stations because their output bores me to tears but can imagine they would pull in lots of listeners and keep food businesses alive through the advertising.

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 am

Anyone heard any stations playing ads about Coronavirus? Select has the same ad that commercial/bbc stations have on.
FM for lyfe!

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 pm

that guy Nathaniel B. Lee has been doing radio ads & voice overs for years. on pirate stations all over london birmingham, he also has a a show on select uk pretty good dj; also corona virus ads being played now pirate stations in birmingham, this corona virus is serious... many people i know who are house bound, doing streams on fb & few people getting the pirate bug again;