The big 80s station

Discuss online-only, streaming stations from around the World Wide Web.
Krakatoa
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

The big 80s station

Post by Krakatoa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Today I have tuned in 107.9 FM this station in a location 30km outside Barcelona. On the RDS shows exactly "The big 80s station 107.9", but the only reference I have found about this is the "supposedly only" online stream that comes up easily after a google search.
Also, the music on the radio matched exactly what was playing on the stream, if only the stream was a little delayed.
Reception on my location is very faint and scratchy, although the rds comes in nicely.

I don't know if the FM is theirs already or somebody else unrelated to the stream owners is just relaying it to the airwaves.

Any info on this?

Thanks!

Elopid
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: The big 80s station

Post by Elopid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 am

I've never had RDS ever coming up with a "faint and scratchy" signal before...

Krakatoa
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Krakatoa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am

Yes, rds does reach out successfully in cases where the subcarrier is turned up to a higher than usual level at the transmitter side.

Elopid
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Elopid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:24 pm

I've tried that and it just makes a loud high pitched noise over the audio

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 am

Elopid wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:24 pm I've tried that and it just makes a loud high pitched noise over the audio
It depends how good the output filter on the RDS circuit is. - it should be a very tight filter tuned to 57kHz, but many of the cheap RDS boards have little or no filtering. My RDS board uses a two-stage active filter, based on gyrators (using two TL074 op-amp ICs) and gives steep filtering either side of the nominal 57 kHz. If I deliberately over modulate the RDS, it doesn't become audible in the audio passband until it's comparable in level to the stereo pilot, and even then it's just a quiet background burble!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)