5/8 aerial

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

5/8 aerial

Post by radionortheast » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:31 am

anyone got any plans on this type of aerial, if their any good, often hear albert talking about them, i'm tried a gp its very good, had no success with silm jims, so i'm looking for an aerial that would be improvement on a gp.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: 5/8 aerial

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:05 pm

http://vk2zoi.com/articles/single-five- ... lower-pot/

http://www.dstar101.com/2m%20and%2070cm ... ntenna.htm

Take a look at the "Flower Pot" Aerials. Don't let the silly name put you off: They're really easy to make, and they work very well. Obviously you'll have to scale the dimensions for your frequency of choice, but that's just a trivial mathematical exercise.

The second aerial (the one on the "D101" page) is going to be very big at 3m (100MHz), but will have huge gain. You have to remember - a high antenna with some gain is the best option. You're effectively getting free power amplification. In reality, what you're doing is concentrating the signal where you want it, and avoiding radiating in unwanted directions. This makes the signal in the reception zone stronger.

I used to get a much better signal out with just 50 Watts and a good aerial than the kiddies at the other end of the same block with 300W and a dipole!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Another aerial that's easy to build is at http://www.sm0vpo.com/. Harry gets a bit enthusiastic about his "6dB gain" antenna, but it's very easy to build and get right. There's lots of other fun stuff on that page too - have a look at some of his projects!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 pm

LOL Albert!!
I think Harry has gone way too far in his projects!!! "how to please a woman in bed??" women are more complex than any circuit youd come across! (no pun intended) :D
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Spokes
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Spokes » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:25 am

Here's one I made earlier...they're simple to build and effective! This is up on the air as we speak doing the business!
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 am

Thanks! I have them in my bookmarks! :D