Anyone remember these crude Smartkit Transmitters?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Anyone remember these crude Smartkit Transmitters?

Post by MiXiN » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 am

Albert H wrote:Back when I was experimenting with crude VHF transmitters, I came across the Dutch "Stentor" board. This actually made some efforts to work properly, and had some neat ideas - voltage regulation for the oscillator, using the grounded heatsink of the final transistor to screen the output end from the oscillator, and it even had a (basic) output lowpass filter. At 15 Volts, it ran really hot (which led to drift) but it would deliver 5 Watts or so if all the trimmers were carefully peaked!

The transistor line-up was a BF245 FET for the oscillator, with a 78L09 as its supply regulation, a 2N2219 and an MRF237 (or SD1127) for the final. Just three transistors, and all that power!

I remember putting one on a spectrum analyser, expecting the worst. However, if everything was peaked for maximum power on the frequency you'd chosen, it was remarkably clean! Adding an extra stage of filter to the end made it pretty acceptable! If you kept the supply down to about 11 Volts, it gave about 3 Watts and didn't drift so badly.

Everyone knew that they drifted, so I built one in an aluminium box, with a FLL circuit concealed underneath the board. As you turned the tuning pot (which normally had a span of about 4MHz), it would go up the band in 200kHz jumps. When you stopped turning the pot, it stayed exactly where you'd left it! You could run it for hours without it drifting. I told people that I'd spent hours selecting just the right capacitors and so on to stabilise the oscillator against temperature drift..... Nobody could understand how a "Stentor" could be so stable!

I might still have one here somewhere.....
Albert,

I've just ordered a 5W Stentor Transmitter kit, again for nostalgic purposes - so will post an image here when it arrives later this week or early next week.

Although this old VFO stuff is long in the tooth now, and I never actually connect it to an antenna, I do find myself impulsively buying it when I have spare money.

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:32 am

My Father designed that board in 1979 and called to his company Stentor
It was one of the first transistor Fm transmitters sold in module by many electrical shops
There made 1000s
There was also a super stentor and a stentor with 2x MRF237 :)
I'm to busy at the moment with moving stuff frommy warehouse to my shop but when i have some more time i will upload the complete story about 'stentor' and the proto of the RDVV transmitters andd upload the pictures of them

Re: RE: Re: Anyone remember these crude Smartkit Transmitters?

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:38 am

[quote="RF-Head"]My Father designed that board in 1979 and called to his company Stentor
It was one of the first transistor Fm transmitters sold in module by many electrical shops
There made 1000s
I'm to busy at the moment with moving stuff frommy warehouse to my shop but when i have some more time i will upload the complete story about 'stentor' and the proto of the RDVV transmitters andd upload the pictures of them[/quote]
OK, my 5W Stentor arrived. I'll get around to building it soon.

My pal said he bought a 5W Stentor board off you a while ago RF-Head, but the PCB layout is nothing like anything he's seen on the Internet so he's unable to build it.

Will see if I can get an image of his Stentor PCB when I visit him soon.

Here's what's arrived;

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: RE: Re: Anyone remember these crude Smartkit Transmitters?

Post by MiXiN » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:38 am

RF-Head wrote:My Father designed that board in 1979 and called to his company Stentor
There made 1000s
I'm to busy at the moment with moving stuff frommy warehouse to my shop but when i have some more time i will upload the complete story about 'stentor' and the proto of the RDVV transmitters andd upload the pictures of them

My pal said he bought a 5W Stentor board off you a while ago RF-Head, but the PCB layout is nothing like anything he's seen on the Internet so he's unable to build it.

Here's what's arrived;

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Anyone remember these crude Smartkit Transmitters?

Post by MiXiN » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:39 am

MiXiN wrote:
RF-Head wrote:My Father designed that board in 1979 and called to his company Stentor
There made 1000s

Here's what's arrived;

20160812_113210.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:15 pm

https://www.sendspace.com/file/bbim4j
hi nice forum and thanks for acceptance
here is pictures from original smart kit 1021 and the other one is my home made as seen my made is better than there work i like quality sound of this tx once tuned well no harmonics and good sound and because it is simple drift was a pain but putted in a metal box with fan and gd PS it only drift 0.25 hz maybe 0.5 khz

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:50 pm

IMG00754-20141202-1204.jpg
IMG00754-20141202-1204.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.