How to add more gain to a Solfan c&k horn

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

How to add more gain to a Solfan c&k horn

Post by OldskoolPirate » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:39 am

Iv heard you can put a larger horn on the front of these to add gain. I used to use a traffic light horn and was indestructible compared to the c&k. It's so hard to tune in over a good few miles.
:tup

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: How to add more gain to a Solfan c&k horn

Post by Dai Pole » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:26 pm

Larger horn or a dish. Dish is probably your best bet unless you get a deal on a horn. On the last forum, Teckniqs posted how he managed to grab a selection of gunn modules with massive horns from a roadwork team for a few notes - much less than they would cost to buy from an online supplier. I'm still jealous to this day.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Now it's funny you mention that, bumped into the same guys only the other day but hadn't seen them for a couple of years. Unfortunately they didn't have anything with them.
They are based out in Fareham so I rarely see them but I always stop and have a polite chat when I do.
.....I had three and I think I gave him about a fiver for them. :tup

I removed the small Microsemi Gunns from the large horns and sold them on eBay £40 each and kept the large horns for C&K use.
Here's what I've got left (excuse the dark pic) and notice the size of that compared to that large AGD Systems horn attached to the small C&K!
The smaller AGD Systems is good for up to around 3 or 4 miles and the large Ai-Systems a good 5-8 or so line of sight.

OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by OldskoolPirate » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:07 am

Yeh after a few days of writing this. I got my old agd horn flange and attached it to my large c&k. And it linked it straight away. It's mentally powerful now lol.
:tup

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:51 pm

teckniqs wrote:Image
Phwoar... that's the one!