10-11 meter sidebanding

Discuss radio from around the world. FM/DAB/AM/SW ...whatever the wavelength!
reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: 10-11 meter sidebanding

Post by reverend » Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm

I used to have a Tristar 747, heavily modded to put out a bit more oomph and expand the RX/TX range but I threw it out a couple of years ago as I hadn't switched it on for 10 years or more. Was fun on summer holidays (in the UK) when the Sporadic-E would kick in and you could natter to breakers all over the world, but these days the UK FM band is dead, other than a few wallies, and sidebanding has lost its interest. Kudos to those who still persevere with it though.
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by reverend » Fri May 21, 2021 1:39 pm

Just found this old schematic for the ole 747...
hygain5circuitdiagram13cb12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Mon May 24, 2021 8:14 pm

Band is very up and down at the moment, there is approximately 12 stations operating near to my QTH. I had a very similar rig in the past, the Ham International Concorde 2, which as I recall had the same chassis as the TriStar 747.

There's defiantly a division in the types of operating on 11mtrs today. You have the regular, what I call "Breakers or CB'ers". But now there appears to be a new breed of "11m Operators" who sound very much like "Hams". They don't say "SWAR" and use "Q Codes" etc, with no Goody-Buddy lingo to be heard.

I think 11mtrs maybe changing for the better?? Well at-least in my neck of the woods.
Give me a AM transmitter with things that glow any day.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 am

I had a listen over here around the CB channels. You're right. There seems to be a lot of "operators" these days. I think that they're largely wannabe Radio Hams who haven't got the technical chops to get the Licence.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue May 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Get a lot of taxis on the AM CB band from around Italy and East Europe all come piling in with the E-Skip. :tup

SamTheDog
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by SamTheDog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am

I run a CRT SS 9900 here as a base , an albricht handheld and some other bits n bobs in the cars etc....

do get on '555 when the conditions are right (with an FB call), But most of the time use them to just
natter between ourselves...

Conditions should pickup for SSB/Overseas chats, BUT saying that, a few years ago I talked to
someone in Glasgow on Channel 19 from Kent.. Neither of us could believe it.... he was having
a few long distance chats...
10_11m.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam The Dog.....

TOR-Radio on FM / Mediumwave and Shortwave
And many moons ago.. WNKR on FM and Shortwave.
info@torradio org / qq22.net / TorRadio.ORG