Woofferton Shortware Transmitter Site

Discuss radio from around the world. FM/DAB/AM/SW ...whatever the wavelength!
Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Woofferton Shortware Transmitter Site

Post by Zozo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:58 pm

Interesting video about Woofferton TX site which I thought others might find it interesting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5EVWuSs-g

Give me a AM transmitter with things that glow any day.

reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Woofferton Shortware Transmitter Site

Post by reverend » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:24 am

I used to have some pictures I took at the Woofferton TX site back in the 1990s but they got lost in a house move at some point.

At the time, the biggest TX there put out 500 kW and with the large 4x4 antenna arrays giving a gain of around 16 dB, this meant the e.r.p. on short wave was 20 MegaWatts. When you consider that few of the short-wave pirates run any more than a couple of hundred watts, and some much less, you have to question whether such high powers were necessary. Then again, if you're trying to overcome malicious jamming then every Watt counts.

Rev
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

SamTheDog
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by SamTheDog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm

Zozo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:58 pm Interesting video about Woofferton TX site which I thought others might find it interesting too.
Interesting stuff.... Certainly a bit more power than the 50 to 250 I have .... Cheers Zozo
Sam The Dog.....

TOR-Radio on FM / Mediumwave and Shortwave
And many moons ago.. WNKR on FM and Shortwave.
info@torradio org / qq22.net / TorRadio.ORG

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:30 am

There was a system of transmitters up at Skelton in the late 70s than had an eastward ERP in the region of 190 MW. This was used for World Service, Voice of America and Deutsche Welle at different times of the day.
To effectively jam a shortwave signal requires a huge amount of power - at one time the Soviets were using over 30% of all their generated electricity to try to jam the western signals aimed at them! This was a pretty effective tactic for the west - the USSR wasted a huge amount of energy, and seldom actually managed to jam the western stations, because they'd often move a few kHz to avoid the jamming!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:55 am

The BBC has recently started up Shortwave broadcasts on 5875 kHz due to the situation in Ukraine and Russian censorship, I believe the transmission is coming from Woofferton. The Russians are going to be wasting all their electricity again if they try to jam it. I wonder what the ERP is, perhaps you might know Albert?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:13 pm

Rumour has it that the ERP is around 10MW, but the actual figure is subject to the Official Secrets Act.

Apparently, the Germans have a couple of big Short Wave rigs pointed at Russia in the 41m and 49m bands. These are carrying Russian language Deutsche Welle and VOA. I'll find out the frequencies, and let you all know.

Also - Radio Moscow is now silent on several frequencies, so the transmitters are probably going to be re-purposed as jammers.....
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:07 am

I caught the BBC Ukraine broadcast on the Twente websdr the other night and it was unbelievably strong, almost sounded as good as FM. don't think I've ever heard a shortwave broadcast that clear before.