(honest) opinion on the sound quality of my stream

Discuss online-only, streaming stations from around the World Wide Web.
hibernian
ne guy
ne guy

(honest) opinion on the sound quality of my stream

Post by hibernian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi guys - I have turned off my FM tx and now I just recently set up an icecast server (USD10 to USD$20 a year for the VMS!! and I just installed icecast on it).

I have set it up with AAC at 48kbps - to optimize for crappy internet on phones in Ireland outside of the cities.

I am using RadioDJ for playout, Breakaway One for processing (french kiss preset - no changes), BUTT for streaming to the server... then Ubuntu Server with Icecast2.4.4.

What do you think of the sound? I had Breakaway One already so I'm using it - I was going to try out Stereo Tool, but for now, I am only €15 out of pocket to try my current set up - I already had the domains.

Can you listen and tell me what you think - any changes, etc? Thanks for any advice.

Here are the streaming links:
Direct - http://xt.stream.ie/48k-live
M3U - http://xt.stream.ie/48k-live.m3u
XSPF - http://xt.stream.ie/48k-live.xspf

mpx
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: (honest) opinion on the sound quality of my stream

Post by mpx » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:57 pm

It could do with a bit more top end, sounds like it's rolling off around 5khz. Have you enabled 25us pre emphasis for the streaming?

mpx
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by mpx » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:00 pm

Sounds better now, probably just that track/album. I would add a dash more warmth and maybe a little sparkle, but thats personal taste. Nice music selection.

hibernian
ne guy
ne guy

Post by hibernian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:18 pm

thanks for the feedback - I have it set to 25us - I had it at 15us earlier... but with the 48k stream I thought the 25us would be better. My "imaging" (for want of a better term!) is a bit 80s amateur :) I'm a big fan of the 90s Seattle scene and a lot of the new indie stuff is hard to find, so I'm going to do my bit!

When you say add a dash of warmth & sparkle - you think a little less boomy bass (some bass cut) and maybe a little more dynamics (cut the compression ratio a little)?

mpx
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by mpx » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:09 pm

The bass drum is okay, just needs a little more around 80Hz and some warmth around 180Hz. If an equaliser isn't available try changing the bass shape. You could back off the compression ratios a little to open it up

hibernian
ne guy
ne guy

Post by hibernian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:44 pm

Thanks for the pointers. Good to get feedback. I see what you mean about opening it up a bit, and when I adjust it, I can hear the difference (& see it on the breakaway 'scope). Cheers.