(honest) opinion on the sound quality of my stream

Discuss online-only, streaming stations from around the World Wide Web.
hibernian
ne guy
ne guy

(honest) opinion on the sound quality of my stream

Post by hibernian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi guys - I have turned off my FM tx and now I just recently set up an icecast server (USD10 to USD$20 a year for the VMS!! and I just installed icecast on it).

I have set it up with AAC at 48kbps - to optimize for crappy internet on phones in Ireland outside of the cities.

I am using RadioDJ for playout, Breakaway One for processing (french kiss preset - no changes), BUTT for streaming to the server... then Ubuntu Server with Icecast2.4.4.

What do you think of the sound? I had Breakaway One already so I'm using it - I was going to try out Stereo Tool, but for now, I am only €15 out of pocket to try my current set up - I already had the domains.

Can you listen and tell me what you think - any changes, etc? Thanks for any advice.

Here are the streaming links:
Direct - http://xt.stream.ie/48k-live
M3U - http://xt.stream.ie/48k-live.m3u
XSPF - http://xt.stream.ie/48k-live.xspf

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: (honest) opinion on the sound quality of my stream

Post by mpx » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:57 pm

It could do with a bit more top end, sounds like it's rolling off around 5khz. Have you enabled 25us pre emphasis for the streaming?

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:00 pm

Sounds better now, probably just that track/album. I would add a dash more warmth and maybe a little sparkle, but thats personal taste. Nice music selection.

hibernian
ne guy
ne guy

Post by hibernian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:18 pm

thanks for the feedback - I have it set to 25us - I had it at 15us earlier... but with the 48k stream I thought the 25us would be better. My "imaging" (for want of a better term!) is a bit 80s amateur :) I'm a big fan of the 90s Seattle scene and a lot of the new indie stuff is hard to find, so I'm going to do my bit!

When you say add a dash of warmth & sparkle - you think a little less boomy bass (some bass cut) and maybe a little more dynamics (cut the compression ratio a little)?

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:09 pm

The bass drum is okay, just needs a little more around 80Hz and some warmth around 180Hz. If an equaliser isn't available try changing the bass shape. You could back off the compression ratios a little to open it up

hibernian
ne guy
ne guy

Post by hibernian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:44 pm

Thanks for the pointers. Good to get feedback. I see what you mean about opening it up a bit, and when I adjust it, I can hear the difference (& see it on the breakaway 'scope). Cheers.