FreeDAB

A place to discuss the latest on the airwaves across Ireland, history & everything in-between.

Moderator: dancemusicdj

TechnicalRacoon
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: FreeDAB

Post by TechnicalRacoon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm

dancemusicdj wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:17 pm
Yes it's a short term license, think it generally runs for a year.
OK. Do you know how much it is for a trial licence Down there (in the rebublic) is roughly
Classic all the way :tup SW LW & AM

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: FreeDAB

Post by dancemusicdj » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:26 pm

I'm unsure. I believe for individual stations to receive their license to broadcast on a mux the costs are apparently ridiculous, apparently they have to pay a big sum up front and their license is for 5 years dispite no guarantee the actual mux license will be extended passed the trial.
All designed to implement high barriers and insure failure to protect the existing stations at any cost, i'm sure.

TechnicalRacoon
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: FreeDAB

Post by TechnicalRacoon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:43 pm

dancemusicdj wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:26 pm
I'm unsure. I believe for individual stations to receive their license to broadcast on a mux the costs are apparently ridiculous, apparently they have to pay a big sum up front and their license is for 5 years dispite no guarantee the actual mux license will be extended passed the trial.
All designed to implement high barriers and insure failure to protect the existing stations at any cost, i'm sure.
God do they hate good radio stations or is it to free up freqs for emergency services but if its the second one couldn't they use am for it
Classic all the way :tup SW LW & AM

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: FreeDAB

Post by dancemusicdj » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:46 pm

The emergency services and mobile networks ETC already have their own spectrum. The DAB spectrum isn't really any good for anything else so would have no commercial or other value.

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 3155
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: FreeDAB

Post by teckniqs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm

The emergency services haven't radio-communicated anywhere near any broadbands since 1986, they used to be on VHF (FM) around 98 to 102MHz until then.

....As dance says the DAB band is purely allocated to the Digital Audio Broadcasting.

TechnicalRacoon
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: FreeDAB

Post by TechnicalRacoon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:36 pm

teckniqs wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm
The emergency services haven't radio-communicated anywhere near any broadbands since 1986, they used to be on VHF (FM) around 98 to 102MHz until then.

....As dance says the DAB band is purely allocated to the Digital Audio Broadcasting.
dancemusicdj wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:46 pm
The emergency services and mobile networks ETC already have their own spectrum. The DAB spectrum isn't really any good for anything else so would have no commercial or other value.
Ah right tbh not sure what way they do it, new to radio and hope to learn a few things
Classic all the way :tup SW LW & AM

ronald001
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:49 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: FreeDAB

Post by ronald001 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:24 am

teckniqs wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:24 pm
rigmo wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:59 pm
I remember seeing that video about a year ago but unfortunately there's still no follow-up video into the antenna.
Meanwhile i have build the antenna, and have bought several band III amplifiers.
Unfortunately the signal is not yet OK, and therefore the range is still very limited

Image

Image

User avatar
mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:49 am

Re: FreeDAB

Post by mpx » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:15 am

The reflector on the 2 element yagi is very close to the mast, you may get some interaction with it, a longer boom would be better.

Persona Non Grata
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:51 pm

Re: FreeDAB

Post by Persona Non Grata » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:54 pm

The emergency services haven't radio-communicated anywhere near any broadbands since 1986, they used to be on VHF (FM) around 98 to 102MHz until then.
The UK Emergency services (stupidly) used 98-102 until around 1990 with utility companies (Gas board, British Rail etc) using frequencies above 105 as late as 1995.

I don't know if any of the Emergency services in the Republic of Ireland ever used broadcast band frequencies. I don't believe they ever did. However the UK authorities would sometimes complain to their Irish counterparts about some of the more powerful Dublin pirates interfering with Police and PMR traffic in Wales. Back in the 1980's most of the Dublin pirates avoided top end FM frequencies for that reason.

TechnicalRacoon
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: FreeDAB

Post by TechnicalRacoon » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:58 pm

Persona Non Grata wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:54 pm
The emergency services haven't radio-communicated anywhere near any broadbands since 1986, they used to be on VHF (FM) around 98 to 102MHz until then.
The UK Emergency services (stupidly) used 98-102 until around 1990 with utility companies (Gas board, British Rail etc) using frequencies above 105 as late as 1995.

I don't know if any of the Emergency services in the Republic of Ireland ever used broadcast band frequencies. I don't believe they ever did. However the UK authorities would sometimes complain to their Irish counterparts about some of the more powerful Dublin pirates interfering with Police and PMR traffic in Wales. Back in the 1980's most of the Dublin pirates avoided top end FM frequencies for that reason.
Nice to know that bit of info, I think they now use tetra for digital encoding (not sure of band, most likely uhf)
Classic all the way :tup SW LW & AM

Clutter Free
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 am

Re: FreeDAB

Post by Clutter Free » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:43 pm

From other forums, I see that FreeDAB is back on in Dublin, Dundalk, and as far north as Newry in County Down.

Decent selection of stations on it too.

109MHz
ne guy
ne guy
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:41 pm

Re: FreeDAB

Post by 109MHz » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:12 pm

Interesting mix of stations. Wonder what stations are paying to be on the service, if they are paying?
It's an interesting experiment by all accounts, what is the legality of something like FreeDAB though I wonder? I've seen people make the argument that there is no legal framework through which to apply to start a DAB multiplex or whatever, but I would've thought that laws surrounding unauthorised use of the radio spectrum would've made FreeDAB illegal regardless? From my research it seems they also have a limited company.
I picked up what I believe to be both the Cork and Waterford muxes the other day, I'll post the results of my scan below. To be fair, the stations are carried in fairly decent audio quality, it has to be said.
Bear in mind that some of these stations are licensed to broadcast on trial or full-time DAB muxes in the UK, and one of them even has a community FM license. I've seen at least one of these stations which hold DAB licenses in the UK publically promote their FreeDAB presence. If they are not being relayed by FreeDAB and are actually paying to be carried on the service, is it because they don't believe FreeDAB to be illegal (if it is), or because they quite frankly don't care?
As I say, I don't fully understand the legal side of this, but the experiment is rather fascinating. I don't think it will cause Comreg or the BAI to take any action-firstly because of the fact that the Irish people are most likely unaware of these multiplexes, because most have no knowledge of DAB in general.
Regardless, here's what I picked up broadcasting in DAB+ in an area between counties Cork and Waterford last weekend:

From Cork (with no audio due to distance):

Angel Vintage (UK)
JuiceRadio.net (UK)
Kream (UK)
UnityDAB (UK)
LoveLife (UK)
Fresh (Cork)
Global (Cork)
Black Culture Radio (UK)
Traveller FM (???)
BKLR (Ballina Killaloe Local Radio [Tipperary/Clare?])
London Music Radio (UK)
Wild Country (Louth?)
Flex UK (UK)
Tomorrow Radio (Dublin)
Groove (???)
Sami Swoi Radio (UK)
Saor Radio (Ireland???)
Scotland's Castle (UK)
THC Radio (UK)
Release Radio (UK)
KissDAB (Dublin)
Ambition Radio (UK)

Waterford Mux

Angel Vintage (UK)
Kream (UK)
LoveLife (UK)
JuiceRadio.net (UK)
UnityDAB (UK)
ClubDAB (Dublin)
Fresh (Cork)
Traveller FM (???)
London Music Radio (UK)
Black Culture Radio (UK)
BKLR (Ballina Killaloe Local Radio [Tipperary/Clare?])
Wild Country (Louth???)
Flex UK (UK)
Saor Radio (Ireland???)
Tomorrow Radio (Dublin)
Sami Swoi Radio (UK)
Scotland's Castle (UK)
KissDAB (Dublin)
Ambition Radio (UK)
Release Radio (UK)

Also, here's an interesting read:
https://radiotoday.ie/2021/09/english-l ... n-ireland/

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: FreeDAB

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:58 pm

The legality situation is a bit complicated to be honest. As it stands, any mux which would want to operate legally in ireland can only apply for a trial license from comreg, which lasts about a year i believe with no guarantee of further trial licenses once the year is up. The stations who broadcast would need to apply for i think it's a section 71 license but i can't remember the exact section number. It costs a fortune anyway as you pay for 5 years up front apparently even though you may only get a year because the mux may not be on any more then the year of it's trial. When people talk about a legal framework what they mean is that there is no permanent ability to operate a mux and thus no permanent ability to operate a station meaning there is no certainty. So freedab is technically illegal, but unfortunately there is just no other option as the regulator in ireland, the broadcasting authority of ireland have no intention of implementing any permanent legal framework for the platform as the existing FMERS don't want to be involved, and therefore that means that because they don't want that nobody else can have it.
Comreg have already taken action against the service, the dublin mux was raided back in 2020.

109MHz
ne guy
ne guy
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:41 pm

Re: FreeDAB

Post by 109MHz » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:16 am

dancemusicdj wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:58 pm
The legality situation is a bit complicated to be honest. As it stands, any mux which would want to operate legally in ireland can only apply for a trial license from comreg, which lasts about a year i believe with no guarantee of further trial licenses once the year is up. The stations who broadcast would need to apply for i think it's a section 71 license but i can't remember the exact section number. It costs a fortune anyway as you pay for 5 years up front apparently even though you may only get a year because the mux may not be on any more then the year of it's trial. When people talk about a legal framework what they mean is that there is no permanent ability to operate a mux and thus no permanent ability to operate a station meaning there is no certainty. So freedab is technically illegal, but unfortunately there is just no other option as the regulator in ireland, the broadcasting authority of ireland have no intention of implementing any permanent legal framework for the platform as the existing FMERS don't want to be involved, and therefore that means that because they don't want that nobody else can have it.
Comreg have already taken action against the service, the dublin mux was raided back in 2020.
Thanks for the clarification on the legal side.

Persona Non Grata
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:51 pm

Re: FreeDAB

Post by Persona Non Grata » Fri May 27, 2022 8:38 pm

Driving along the Middle Road in Carrickfergus https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mid ... 77515,17z/
today I was able to intermittently receive the Free DAB multiplex.

RTE when it was on was receivable in spots at the same location.

Most of the actual town is either too low down or screened by nearby hills unfortunately.

Clutter Free
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 am

Re: FreeDAB

Post by Clutter Free » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:45 pm

FreeDAB took a Comreg hit on a border site today.

Busy boys lately Comreg.

Post Reply