new dab stations

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

new dab stations

Post by mixfm » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:28 pm

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: new dab stations

Post by g33ky » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:17 am

Theres already a minimux in Eastern Birmingham, pretty crap though barely reaches to the city centre.
http://www.wohnort.org/dab/ukloc.html#B ... am%20Trial

They're also advertising ones for North and South Birmingham. Kinda proves how crap and restrictive (coverage wise) these minimuxes are when you need 3 separate ones just to cover a city. Just let Internet radio take over, it's going to outlast DAB by decades or hundreds of years (if the world isn't nuked by then :tup).
FM for lyfe!

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 am

I think fm will also outlast dab

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:21 pm

famefm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 am I think fm will also outlast dab
Without a doubt. Finland gave up on DAB, Ireland pretty much gave up on it. FM produces good quality sound without issue and while there is less space on the dial than the Internet or DAB people are going to keep it because there's no real issue with it.
FM for lyfe!

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: new dab stations

Post by Polecat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:07 pm

g33ky wrote:
famefm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 am I think fm will also outlast dab
Without a doubt. Finland gave up on DAB, Ireland pretty much gave up on it. FM produces good quality sound without issue and while there is less space on the dial than the Internet or DAB people are going to keep it because there's no real issue with it.
Agree.

New tech for the sake of it. Badly implemented. DAB+ no better. Worst timing imaginable vs what's going on with mobile internet cost and speed.

DAB. Dead At Birth.
Polecat
No Groove Where I Come From

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 am

That's it mobile data has never been cheaper so why even bother to buy the radio set when you can just use your phone with a bluetooth speaker and tune in to just about everything?

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 am

You can add Hungary to the list too now https://digitrendi.hu/nalunk-meg-nem-ke ... nik-a-dab/
FM for lyfe!

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes fm for life to many stupid things have happened in radio since the original anti climax from the 1985 broken community radio licenses for London that never happened the rest is just let down 1 after another who can forget kiss eh

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Funny I was talking about cheap data I have just got mine trippeled for an extra £1 a month so this is definitely going to slow down the up take for dab

Mr Mac
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Mr Mac » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm

DAB is fitted standard in all new cars now.
Release launched on DAB in April and has an outstanding audio quality for 32k dab+. Have a listen. You'll be surprised....even I am and I have used all the processors on FM you could dream of whilst running PB and later Release as a pirate.....

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:43 am

I've got a 32k DAB+ transmitter running here. It's based around a Hack RF One and an EasyDAB board with a couple of Raspberry Pis with "Audio Injector" sound cards as encoders. Even with the very best in audio processing, 32k isn't enough. You might get away with it in a noisy environment like a car, but it's certainly not good enough for quality listening at home.

I spent a lot of time learning about DAB and how to implement it. I now feel that the time was largely wasted. It was an interesting intellectual exercise, but of no practical use whatsoever!

DAB will be superseded in the near future with streaming over the mobile data networks. I have been doing this for quite some time, and find that more and more people are doing the same as they become disillusioned with the lefty PC crap from the BBC and the repetitive rubbish from the commercial stations. When I'm in the UK, I just listen to a few streams.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:02 am

Albert H wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:43 am I've got a 32k DAB+ transmitter running here. It's based around a Hack RF One and an EasyDAB board with a couple of Raspberry Pis with "Audio Injector" sound cards as encoders. Even with the very best in audio processing, 32k isn't enough. You might get away with it in a noisy environment like a car, but it's certainly not good enough for quality listening at home.

I spent a lot of time learning about DAB and how to implement it. I now feel that the time was largely wasted. It was an interesting intellectual exercise, but of no practical use whatsoever!

DAB will be superseded in the near future with streaming over the mobile data networks. I have been doing this for quite some time, and find that more and more people are doing the same as they become disillusioned with the lefty PC crap from the BBC and the repetitive rubbish from the commercial stations. When I'm in the UK, I just listen to a few streams.
My dad has 32k DAB+ Virgin Chilled on in his car, when you switch it to 80k DAB- Virgin Radio the audio difference is clear as day. DAB+ sounds so tinny in comparison but the older you get the worse your hearing gets, so I guess for their target audience 32k is satisfactory to bring in the £££.

What stremas have you got on your DAB mux?
FM for lyfe!

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:55 am

Why are we all even talking about DAB ? It’s just as unpopular as fm now days. The internet has killed traditional radio. Streaming is on top now. But still FM is superior in every way to get yourself noticed. No ones going to tune into your station from just being “online”. Although it has been done, it’s very hard. Anyone notice how quickly these fb live stations close down ? 😀

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:17 am

I said quite a few times I already skipped dab from fm strait to mobile data ages ago now I am not near London anymore I don't have a choice and I certainly don't listen to anything round my new area that has anything better than London stations so online all the time how else can you hear a station anywhere in the UK? Online.