DJ's leaving Flex FM

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

DJ's leaving Flex FM

Post by zoostorm » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:32 am

Flex has seen Milky, Enforcer, Twilight and Maddness KMA leave in the last week or so. Three of the four were part of the former Old Skool Sundays when it was a pirate. Milky and Enforcer were around during the 103.6 era.

I get the feeling with Flex being legal, they're trying to shake off the pirate past, so they can play anything that's considered commercial and old skool Hardcore from 28/29 years ago isn't for the "yutes dem"

cheese ranger
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: DJ's leaving Flex FM

Post by cheese ranger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 am

Raskal and Realm also gone. Enforcer and Raskal have both hinted to being on a different station going forward on Facebook. I’m not sure if someone is starting a breakaway station or if they have been invited to join an existing station. I reakon South London might get a new pirate personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am

I can see Flex becoming another Rinse FM and becoming the mainstream instead of the "underground" that it used to be. It's still a decent listen for the most part, good DnB sets in the night hours.
FM for lyfe!

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:20 pm

Just another example of the damage being under ofcoms belt does. Regulated radio never works as well.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:05 pm

Flex is much worse than rinse fm I remember when rinse was first legal it changed less than others as for flex it is just a bad radio station now

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:56 am

g33ky wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am I can see Flex becoming another Rinse FM and becoming the mainstream instead of the "underground" that it used to be. It's still a decent listen for the most part, good DnB sets in the night hours.
At least Rinse still has Uncle Dugs (or guest DJs) on once a week with the old skool. It's the only set I lock into on there.

I think Merlin is staying on Flex to do the token Old Skool show.

Casual
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Casual » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:17 pm

So with the names above mentioned & also with the likes of other departures like Outlaw, Selecta Primetime, Al-B (who all seemed to leave early into Flex's legal venture) & another recent departure in EJB & Uno (all of these names were very decent/consistent in their musical fields) it looks like Flex's original pirate core/identity is slowly disolving. Maybe the grass isn't greener on.the other side after all? I have to say their weekday daytime lineup is an appauling listen. Awful presenters, terrible music (a lot of which is shit commercial crap) & interviews with Z-list no name celebs which anyone with a bit of culture about them really wouldn't care to hear! Shame as about 4-5 years ago Flex was 100% in the top 5 pirates in London for quality of music, consistency & variety.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 pm

Flex will last another few months and then be bought up by Bauer or Global and just become another clone.

Small scale "community" radio is deliberately crippled by the OFCOM rules to make sure that it's uneconomical to run. This results in every small scale station that gets a licence ending up as part of Bauer or Global. It's disgusting. All the time and effort people put into developing a station with some identity is wasted when it's subsumed by the big two.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:48 am

Albert H wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 pm Flex will last another few months and then be bought up by Bauer or Global and just become another clone.

Small scale "community" radio is deliberately crippled by the OFCOM rules to make sure that it's uneconomical to run. This results in every small scale station that gets a licence ending up as part of Bauer or Global. It's disgusting. All the time and effort people put into developing a station with some identity is wasted when it's subsumed by the big two.
Well this is a first. I have to disagree with Albert but only on flex being purchased by the global big boys and the other big boring other owners of kiss est they won't buy it. It's just exeptionly awful I don't think even ofcom would expect this shite to be the result of their rules and regulations it's just bad luck on all the listener's expecting far more from flex than this totally unlistenble waste of space on 101.4 for South West London

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:45 am

Albert H wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 pm Flex will last another few months and then be bought up by Bauer or Global and just become another clone.

I don't see how the running costs have got anything to do with retaining DJs.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 am

As far as I know Flex's licence conditions are strictly not-for-profit, so no good for Heart or Capital

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:11 pm

teckniqs wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 am As far as I know Flex's licence conditions are strictly not-for-profit, so no good for Heart or Capital
That's right so I think Albert is slightly over doing it by saying that the big 2 buy everything I don't recall them ever buying a so called community station

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:46 pm

The whole point of community radio is that it's unattractive to Global and Bauer. Flex has various Key Commitments they have to comply with, where as for example Capital Xtra on 96.9 and 107.1 don't, so they can just stick urban music and ads on it.

Incidentally I got an invite on FB from Enforcer to like a Kool London page, which makes me think they're heading over there where there are other old hardcore DJs from Dream and Eruption on there.

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Confirmed, Enforcer and Twilight are off to Kool.
NEWSFLASH

It gives me great pleasure to share with you all our next move as EnT Enforcer n Twilight.
If you asked a 13 year old me way back in the day what three radio stations I would aspire to play on I would of said :-
DREAM FM - Completed it mate
FLEX FM - Completed it mate
KOOL FM - Completed it mate

Now in my 40s I can say the trifecta the trio is completed you can catch
EnT Bi weekly Fridays 11pm - 1 am
Starting from the 14th August 2020
On the original information centre London’s longest running Hardcore Jungle Drum and Bass station the multi award winning KOOL LDN.
Proud is an understatement to think of all the djs mcs producers that have played on the mighty KOOL LDN mind blowing. Gotta say a massive thank you to the Governor General EASTMAN for giving us this golden opportunity to all the KOOL Family that has made us feel so welcome maximum boost.
Here’s a pic of one of my favourite tracks Alex Reece Basic Principles and a set of lovely
KOOL LDN slipmats.
www.koollondon.com
Get your KOOL LDN merchandise today support the longest running Hardcore Jungle Drum and Bass station for the nation.
See you all there

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:32 pm

Kool ain’t even on FM anymore.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:32 pm

XXL wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:32 pm Kool ain’t even on FM anymore.
Neither should flex with the present output on 101.4

Twista UK
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Twista UK » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:29 pm

does anyone know why they are all leaving and what is happening? even outlaw has left does anyone know why

cheese ranger
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

DJ's leaving Flex FM

Post by cheese ranger » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Their contacts renew every summer since they went legal. When Flex went legal most weekly old school shows went front weekly to bi-weekly. This year they tried to change them to monthly and they weren’t having it.

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 pm

since legal nobody intressed in flex - or rince.. simple, put up & shut up station...

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:18 pm

cheese ranger wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:32 pm Their contacts renew every summer since they went legal. When Flex went legal most weekly old school shows went front weekly to bi-weekly. This year they tried to change them to monthly and they weren’t having it.

You can't blame them from going to having 52 sets a year to 26 to just 12.

It sounds like what Carloss was trying to was squeeze the old skool hardcore/jungle DJs to one slot a week which they all share, which allows them to play more commercial shit.