release fm

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: release fm

Post by Undercover Neckz » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:30 pm

There is no such thing as Release FM you donkeys. Its Release DAB

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:11 am

64k mono will sound appalling on DAB - remember DAB uses a crappy MP2 codec. The service providers have crammed ever more stations on to the DAB bouquets, and as they add more, the quality of the others declines. When DAB began - with just a few BBC stations on it, the quality (if not the content) was fine. Then they started reducing bit rates in an effort to squeeze more stations on DAB. It all went to crap pretty quickly.

DAB is unlistenable rubbish these days. The content is dreadful - BBC lies and propaganda, Bauer and Global automated rubbish (and LBC :poo ), and the Wireless Group don't know what they're doing. The only stuff worth listening to these days are the better quality internet streams, mostly from other countries.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 am

Albert H wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:11 am 64k mono will sound appalling on DAB - remember DAB uses a crappy MP2 codec. The service providers have crammed ever more stations on to the DAB bouquets, and as they add more, the quality of the others declines. When DAB began - with just a few BBC stations on it, the quality (if not the content) was fine. Then they started reducing bit rates in an effort to squeeze more stations on DAB. It all went to crap pretty quickly.

DAB is unlistenable rubbish these days. The content is dreadful - BBC lies and propaganda, Bauer and Global automated rubbish (and LBC :poo ), and the Wireless Group don't know what they're doing. The only stuff worth listening to these days are the better quality internet streams, mostly from other countries.
Precisely :tup. DAB is purely there as another way to generate £££ from listeners who don't care/know any better. Bauer and Global like you mentioned are the absolute worst for this, pumping out the most minimal-effort garbage just for the sake of money, thats all commercial radio is nowadays. Anyone with a brain will turn on an internet stream or Spotify for actual music. I'm surprised Capital is still profitable for example, considering their target age range pretty much exclusively streams music.
FM for lyfe!

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:29 pm

g33ky wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 pm
XXL wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:39 pm People often get confused with bit rates. 64kbps mono is 1 half of 128kbps stereo. Mono is what pirates use anyway.

I do hope DAB doesn’t get any more popular though.
Is it? I thought 128k Joint Stereo (which is the stereo format used at 128k) was similar to FM's DSB-SC, i.e. the difference signal. There is a very noticable difference between 64k mono and 128k stereo, and not just the fact that only one channel is used.
It also depends which codec is being used, i.e the lower bit rates are better when you use a low bitrate optimised codec+ , using some codecs at lower bit rate will result in artefacts being very noticeable, done right though it’s perfectly acceptable for mono broadcasts. I personally hate mono as much as I hate AM...
Sony ST 920 QS

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:15 pm

I think you are being very harsh on this particular subject because release is a decent station doing things a little different from your endless shout out type stations nothing wrong with them but release is running a good outfit who have not sold out like most others. As for dab we all know that fm isn't going away and some dab is a total joke and I think that the globals and BBC of this world have cut down quite a lot trying to brainwash the public into dab

Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Undercover Neckz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:08 pm

famefm wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:15 pm I think you are being very harsh on this particular subject because release is a decent station doing things a little different from your endless shout out type stations nothing wrong with them but release is running a good outfit who have not sold out like most others. As for dab we all know that fm isn't going away and some dab is a total joke and I think that the globals and BBC of this world have cut down quite a lot trying to brainwash the public into dab
Stop lieing :rip

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:14 pm

What lie? I just said release is a good station run by persons who have been around almost 30 years who haven't sold out what is dishonest about that?