87.5 MAR Merseyside

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

87.5 MAR Merseyside

Post by g33ky » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Found a spyserver (remote rtl-sdr) with an IP address that resolves to Wallasey on the Wirral and found this on the SDR. Stuck on 87.5 playing MAR. I'm guessing this is pretty close to the TX site as the signal is top notch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FM for lyfe!

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: 87.5 MAR Merseyside

Post by bristolpirates » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:01 pm

Yeah, locked to 87.5. Must be run by MAR themselves or a fan.

There's one SDR on there that has a spot near London on the map, but it's actually in Dudley in the Midlands and you can hear a couple of Brum pirates on there.

There's also one near Oslo where the only two stations on must be Norwegian pirate relays. One is 'UK Gold' (has a bit of a hum on it), the other is a relay of 181.FM's country stream. Both have RDS.

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 am

bristolpirates wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:01 pm There's also one near Oslo where the only two stations on must be Norwegian pirate relays. One is 'UK Gold' (has a bit of a hum on it), the other is a relay of 181.FM's country stream. Both have RDS.
I wouldn't say near Oslo, its actually at QTH JP66EI38CR, nowhere near :lol:. Those ones are definitely run by the operator as they pretty much overload the receiver with a little bit of gain. Theres also a legal station on there too on 102.4 (blank carrier at time of writing), https://www.radionordnorge.no/ Radio Nord Norge. If you look up that QTH on Google Maps Street View you can even see the antennas lol.

One also occasionally pops up in Saltdean which gets 88.2 Code South fairly well.
FM for lyfe!

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:55 am

g33ky wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 am I wouldn't say near Oslo, its actually at QTH JP66EI38CR, nowhere near :lol:. Those ones are definitely run by the operator as they pretty much overload the receiver with a little bit of gain. Theres also a legal station on there too on 102.4 (blank carrier at time of writing), https://www.radionordnorge.no/ Radio Nord Norge. If you look up that QTH on Google Maps Street View you can even see the antennas lol.

One also occasionally pops up in Saltdean which gets 88.2 Code South fairly well.
Ah, I'd mis-read the page when I resolved the IP - https://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-l ... 162.39.182

Even then it says it is in Ørnes rather than Lovund.

I'd guessed that they were probably also run by the operator of the SDR. Some months back, there was an SDR in Finland that had a couple of pirates on and clearly run by the SDR operator too.

The 102.4 seems like it could be a spike from the SDR itself, it is a bit off frequency (assuming the SDR is set up correctly). Otherwise, it really is a blank carrier with no stereo or RDS.

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:08 am

bristolpirates wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:55 am
g33ky wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 am I wouldn't say near Oslo, its actually at QTH JP66EI38CR, nowhere near :lol:. Those ones are definitely run by the operator as they pretty much overload the receiver with a little bit of gain. Theres also a legal station on there too on 102.4 (blank carrier at time of writing), https://www.radionordnorge.no/ Radio Nord Norge. If you look up that QTH on Google Maps Street View you can even see the antennas lol.

Ah, I'd mis-read the page when I resolved the IP - https://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-l ... 162.39.182

Even then it says it is in Ørnes rather than Lovund.

I'd guessed that they were probably also run by the operator of the SDR. Some months back, there was an SDR in Finland that had a couple of pirates on and clearly run by the SDR operator too.

The 102.4 seems like it could be a spike from the SDR itself, it is a bit off frequency (assuming the SDR is set up correctly). Otherwise, it really is a blank carrier with no stereo or RDS.
Nah 102.4 is or at least was legit from Nord Norge, I've seen it TXing on there before :). I did see a Finnish one a while back, I think the same one. It had an RDS of "rds 1234" or something like that.

It's cool to check out the FM band for other countries. One interesting RDS I noticed was in Saint Petersburg, Russia where a legal station had only a PS code on RDS, no PI or anything else.
FM for lyfe!

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:34 pm

g33ky wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:08 am Nah 102.4 is or at least was legit from Nord Norge, I've seen it TXing on there before :). I did see a Finnish one a while back, I think the same one. It had an RDS of "rds 1234" or something like that.

It's cool to check out the FM band for other countries. One interesting RDS I noticed was in Saint Petersburg, Russia where a legal station had only a PS code on RDS, no PI or anything else.
Yeah the 102.4 is running now. Stereo but maybe too weak for RDS to appear. RDS Spy isn't doing anything anyway.

There is an SDR in Finland on right now but it's not the same one - sdr://193.210.231.202:44344 - Check out 96.2. Such bad audio, but using the official PI of 62AB for Kiss, so probably an official frequency but just having technical problems. You can hear some Estonian stations on this one too.

Did the Russian one cover the OIRT band too (65.8MHz upwards)?

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:15 am

bristolpirates wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:34 pm
g33ky wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:08 am Nah 102.4 is or at least was legit from Nord Norge, I've seen it TXing on there before :). I did see a Finnish one a while back, I think the same one. It had an RDS of "rds 1234" or something like that.

Yeah the 102.4 is running now. Stereo but maybe too weak for RDS to appear. RDS Spy isn't doing anything anyway.

There is an SDR in Finland on right now but it's not the same one - sdr://193.210.231.202:44344 - Check out 96.2. Such bad audio, but using the official PI of 62AB for Kiss, so probably an official frequency but just having technical problems. You can hear some Estonian stations on this one too.

Did the Russian one cover the OIRT band too (65.8MHz upwards)?
Wow that 96.2 really is bad! Mono audio is broken, only works with stereo listening. I'm guessing they have some cables the wrong way around. Seems like 96.2 is only a small relay, 100.2 is much stronger and the audio is correct on that one. (fmscan.org)

I didn't check OIRT on the Russian receiver, I forgot that existed :lol:. It's a standard RTL-SDR from 24Mhz upwards so I would assume it takes OIRT too, but thats not really interesting since AFAIK they don't have RDS. I would check it now but it's unavailable :cry: .
FM for lyfe!