87.7 Liverpool

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

87.7 Liverpool

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Yesterday afternoon around 4pm I was driving around South Liverpool, having a scan to see what surprises the bank holiday might have in store.

As well as a couple of the usual stations, there was non stop music on 87.7 which I would describe, ignorantly, as oldies. I'd be surprised if it was a car transmitter as it covered a good few miles and faded slightly in dips and under a bridge. I tuned in later at home and there was nothing there. Anyone got any clues?!

SD-E1102
Neckmin
Neckmin

Re: 87.7 Liverpool

Post by SD-E1102 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:48 pm

It might have been a Radio Caroline relay as they're quite popular up that way.
Pirate Radio's not a problem, it's a solution

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Good idea, but I'm not sure about that. It was just music with gaps inbetween. No jingles, no presenter and no real flow to the music.

I've got the impression over the years that there are a few transmitters in lofts and cupboards around here and that, occasionally, one of their owners gets all enthusiastic and fires one up.

This may be just one of those.

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:28 pm

It's back on again. Decent signal into South Liverpool. Non stop music again with 5 second gaps between the tunes.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:39 pm

There's a guy I know near Chester who has been known to connect the output of his "Echo Dot" to a rig and stream random music!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 am

It had occurred to me that it was maybe someone broadcasting their tunes around their house for their own pleasure and making it slightly further than intended... by a few miles! It is quite a local signal. Or maybe a hobbyist putting a rig on just to see how far they can get, just for the sake of it.

It doesn't sound like a real attempt at a station and the music is properly random. It can just as easily be reggae as cliff Richard.

It was off by the evening last Sunday and I haven't heard it since.

Ironman
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Ironman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:26 am

I love the fact there are still people out there willing to put out low powered transmissions whatever the musical content is. Great stuff.

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Yeah - same here. It's a rare treat to come across a strange transmission like this these days.

It was back on again for a couple of hours early evening yesterday and I stayed locked in until it was switched off. Luckily the wife finds it intriguing as well. That's taken years of work...

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm

It was back on again today. A carrier from around 5pm with the music starting about quarter past. A good solid couple of hours of George Formby followed by, I think, a slade album. Or something that sounded like slade. Then a couple of minutes of silence and then off at 7.45ish. I absolutely love this strange little station!

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Nice story, it is the mystery that gets you with pirate radio, something that has all but vanished. I am glad that people bother firing a rig up in the garden or in their loft every now and then. When you hear music that is very obviously nothing to do with any normal radio station that is perfect, it is the sign that it is a clandestine operation.

The stranger the music is the better the sign is for the anoraks ;)