Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

Post by shuffy » Mon May 30, 2016 12:16 pm

SoundFm wrote:I may be wrong but I feel (certainly for me) the dynamics have changed.
I'm right with you on all of that, Sound. The world's changed. Kids dont listen to radio in the same way, there's nothing to encourage them to be inqusitive, everything has to be spoon fed so they're not going to go looking for your pirate or discover it by accident as there's no search engine for the FM band :)

Sure, they might find "broadcasters" on the internet on youTube or whatever, but that's not what motivated the likes of Bert Williams. We were interested in music and electronics, and liked a challenge and perhaps some mild peril. That in itself is an increasingly unlikely set of conditions for today's kids. What motivated me was being able to match the big boys technically on all fronts with gear I'd built myself, and perhaps say something on air that you wouldn't get away with on the BBC. Having any kind of feedback from your audience at all was a bonus. And luckily in the early 80s when I started contributing to stations and messing around building my own kit, there was a massive audience for pirate radio.

Interesting that you remember Bert saying there was no future in pirate radio in the 80's and then promptly carrying on for another 20 years! He knew he had to take advantage of the audience while there was one, but like many of us he also had the radio gene to such an extent that it wasn't something he could just give up. Like you say, that aspect of it doesn't get any easier when you've got houses and families to pay for. As for the audience, I think those days are almost gone, certainly outside of London.

TekMcr
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by TekMcr » Mon May 30, 2016 2:35 pm

Picking up 'Gothcity' on 92.2 , surely a legal? Lol

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Mon May 30, 2016 6:01 pm

:o Missed it. It's been a long time. Gutted!

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon May 30, 2016 11:55 pm

I hope it's who I think it is...

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by radionortheast » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:07 pm

SoundFm wrote:
LoveNRG wrote:yo sound looks like u shudda stayed in bro .. but serious lets get sum live shows on the new up and coming stations else whats the point of being on not knowing when your venture will be short lived .. just saying ;)
It's a fair point Mr NRG however the transmission was only a test with a view to possibly putting something on at some point down the line. Unfortunately having been involved with a couple of successful North West pirates I know all too well of the hassle and bullshit that goes with djs, schedules, locations etc. I'm not in the position i was 15/20 years ago. Other things take priority these days....... family, work, mortgage, bills etc etc.

If I'm honest, and I may raise a bit of debate here I don't think that radio has the attraction that it did when I first got into it. Back in the day there was no internet, Spotify, You Tube, Deezer etc and we as kids grew up with radio. Many kids these days probably don't even know how to operate a tuner. I may be wrong but I feel (certainly for me) the dynamics have changed. Whe I first got into radio in the late 80s a well known established Merseyside pirate operator (Bert Williams) used to say "I don't really see a future in pirate radio" and at the time I was convinced her was talking through his arse. Now I look at the band (and lack of pirate operators) here in the North West and think there's sadly some truth in it.

You only have to compare how many sations were on back then to now. Manchester and Liverpool had a thriving pirate culture back in the 80s and 90s, these days I could count on 1 hand the amount of active stations. Fair play and hats off to the people doing their bit and hopefully the stations that are on will cause a domino effect and inspire more people to get on air.
many people have problaly felt the same disillusionment, not that I want someone to run a high power transmitter and get themselfs into trouble, but I actually thought your signal brough alot of excitement back to the air!

TekMcr
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by TekMcr » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:17 pm

87.5,silent carrier with hum , outside of Manchester city centre up high.
Rds was reading 'eception' for a bit, typo I'm guessing haha.

TekMcr
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by TekMcr » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:19 pm

101.4 still on and going too. Audio better now.

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by radionortheast » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:47 pm

heard r n b on that channel yesaday 101.4, also been getting a stereo carrier on 87.5 been on for hours now

Culture FM
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Culture FM » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Great signal here in Rossendale on 101.4 and getting 87.5 strong, should be the return of the Sound boys.
No sign of this 100.7 just Classic FM.

LoveNRG
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by LoveNRG » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Culture FM wrote:Great signal here in Rossendale on 101.4 and getting 87.5 strong, should be the return of the Sound boys.
No sign of this 100.7 just Classic FM.
Hey culture , watch this space within the next week if all goes well that will change ;)

Omg a 150w rig

Post by Omg a 150w rig » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:38 pm

I heard 101.4 the other day nice signal to stoke from manny rubbish audio tho! Love nrg seems to be a 1w chinese rig i think never heard a worst signal complete waste of airwaves but each to there own. Heard 87.5 too not great signal but from further away i think. Really suprised nobody had the brains before these 101.4 to put something on from manny now they need to get djs on there im 100% sure u can have 30-50 djs no problem espeically with that nice signal

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:19 pm

Omg a 150w rig wrote:I heard 101.4 the other day nice signal to stoke from manny rubbish audio tho! Love nrg seems to be a 1w chinese rig i think never heard a worst signal complete waste of airwaves but each to there own.
Did you travel from Manchester to Stoke?

Omg a 150w rig

Post by Omg a 150w rig » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:33 am

Yes from sale to stoke then to london. 101.4 only station getting out anywhere

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 am

I've even heard that Innov8 101.4 as far as North Lancashire in the Blackburn & Preston area - the coverage is immense; probably 40-50 miles from the TX site.

Love NRG is nothing more than a flea powered community station evidently intended for the Black community with its one dimensional choice of audio.

With improved audio, 101.4 would be perfect.

100.7 has decent audio but gets nowhere.

Omg a 150w rig

Post by Omg a 150w rig » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:56 am

MiXiN wrote:I've even heard that Innov8 101.4 as far as North Lancashire in the Blackburn & Preston area - the coverage is immense; probably 40-50 miles from the TX site.

Love NRG is nothing more than a flea powered community station evidently intended for the Black community with its one dimensional choice of audio.

Would have to agree with u there mixing spot on pal

LoveNRG
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by LoveNRG » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Omg a 150w rig wrote:I heard 101.4 the other day nice signal to stoke from manny rubbish audio tho! Love nrg seems to be a 1w chinese rig i think never heard a worst signal complete waste of airwaves but each to there own. Heard 87.5 too not great signal but from further away i think. Really suprised nobody had the brains before these 101.4 to put something on from manny now they need to get djs on there im 100% sure u can have 30-50 djs no problem especially with that nice signal
Ha ha LOL @ 1 watt chinese rig shows what you know about transmitter then doesn't it ,
and as for 101.4fm getting 30 to 50 djs have you any clue how hard and long they would have to work to get that many dj's on even legal stations dont reach 50 lol .
don't mean to sound rude but you dont seem to sound much like you know what your talking about (BUT EACH TO THERE OWN HA HA HA) , Well its all your opinion and your entitled to it but i suggest you do some more research before you start spouting off about other station lol ;)

LoveNRG
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by LoveNRG » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:32 pm

MiXiN wrote:I've even heard that Innov8 101.4 as far as North Lancashire in the Blackburn & Preston area - the coverage is immense; probably 40-50 miles from the TX site.

Mixin as for flea powered if you read this whole thread from the beggining you would see that we were starting off on low power on purpose and eventually getting stronger so to keep saying we are FLEA powered is obviously keeping us entertained as i have mentioned at least two times on here that the power will be upped soon so seems like you enjoy slagging a station that has a full set of djs nearly full time that is on 24/7 rather than saying something positive , i sometimes wonder if you used to dj on mixology especially with your username being so close , if so that may explain why the negetivity towards a fellow station that is providing a good service which of course mixology isnt and probably wont ever do again ;)

Culture FM
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Culture FM » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Come on lads no need for this we should be working together, not against.
We've got such a small radio scene up here in the north west let's no spoil it.
So what if 100.7 doesn't reach miles out of Manchester like the other, let's just enjoy what we've got.

SoundFm
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by SoundFm » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Sounds like OMG 150w rig is just a bit of a troll. Leave him to it, he'll soon get bored.
As for Mixin....... Who cares. 1w or 1kw at least the Love Nrg guys are on air. If you think you can do a better job then step up and put your money where your mouth is.

LoveNRG
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by LoveNRG » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:01 pm

Culture FM wrote:Come on lads no need for this we should be working together, not against.
We've got such a small radio scene up here in the north west let's no spoil it.
So what if 100.7 doesn't reach miles out of Manchester like the other, let's just enjoy what we've got.
My thoughts exactly Culture fm :tup