Times have changed. Who listens to fm pirate

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Times have changed. Who listens to fm pirate

Post by XXL » Fri May 20, 2022 12:21 am

It was the same when I was at school. Everyone listened to n-dubz, dizzee rascal… blah blah and you wasn’t deemed “cool” if you listened to anything else. but a certain few knew about pirate radio and used it. This was back in 2005. Wasn’t it meant to be at its peak back then ? But only a small amount of people knew about it still.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Fri May 20, 2022 12:48 am

XXL wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:21 am It was the same when I was at school. Everyone listened to n-dubz, dizzee rascal… blah blah and you wasn’t deemed “cool” if you listened to anything else. but a certain few knew about pirate radio and used it. This was back in 2005. Wasn’t it meant to be at its peak back then ? But only a small amount of people knew about it still.
I know exactly what you mean! :lol:

I guess i was the generation before you? Mid 90s if i remember? Which was Hardcore and the beginning of Jungle!

Only the Elite in the playground knew about Pirates and was highly respected! :lol:
I am as stupid as I look! :|

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri May 20, 2022 2:33 pm

mpx wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:27 pm Would be good to hear something that breaks the mould and isn't scared to push musical boundaries.
Like what?

peterogerspirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by peterogerspirate » Fri May 20, 2022 10:59 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:15 am Also to elaborate on Polecats comment! :)

FM is far superior to MP3s yet it is decades older! We should not underestimate the youngsters!

With the rise of vinyl and simpler mediums! Less complex lifestyles are following due to the current state of the economy and mainstream media!

The humble Receiver could make a massive comeback!
Walk down the road and every youngster and even adult is pretty much got there head in there phone

Even Walkman's never reached the massives like that and even if they did they didn't all have fm radio

Streaming is the way forward

Ian
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Ian » Sat May 21, 2022 1:05 am

Think I’m going to answer my own question. FM is still huge . Especially in cars. I think I personally am bored of the content that is being broadcast. On all platforms.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun May 22, 2022 1:04 am

peterogerspirate wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:59 pm
Walk down the road and every youngster and even adult is pretty much got there head in there phone

Even Walkman's never reached the massives like that and even if they did they didn't all have fm radio

Streaming is the way forward
I cannot disagree with that!

However, Mobile devices are dependant on an external infrastructure to operate! Without the network, The 'Smart Phone' is about as useful as a Walkman! :lol:

FM may not be 'Trendy' as such? Yet if times evolve that a reliable source of communication is required? FM will always be a viable solution!

Also we see history repeating itself! The motor vehicle was the future of travel! Now in fierce competition with the bicycle invented in 1870! :lol:

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun May 22, 2022 1:57 am

thewisepranker wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:33 pm
mpx wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:27 pm Would be good to hear something that breaks the mould and isn't scared to push musical boundaries.
Like what?
Thats a good point! I guess there is no 'Perfect' content to broadcast!

The DJs that are on Pirate stations are hugely talented and do a great job!

It all depends on the target audience at the present time!

African and Asian communities of the UK seem to be thriving at the moment? Also Religious sectors! Not really my sort of thing? Nether the less, A considerable audience!

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sun May 22, 2022 1:00 pm

Well yeah, if you're not careful with the whole "doing something different" thing you end up with something that sounds like Platorm B, which is a community station in Brighton. A toddler orchestra or even a wind chime compilation CD wouldn't sound out of place on there.

You're also at risk of pleasing nobody if you just play a load of random stuff like they do, which is worse than pleasing a very small minority of dedicated fans of one particular niche.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun May 22, 2022 11:38 pm

thewisepranker wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:00 pm Well yeah, if you're not careful with the whole "doing something different" thing you end up with something that sounds like Platorm B, which is a community station in Brighton. A toddler orchestra or even a wind chime compilation CD wouldn't sound out of place on there.

You're also at risk of pleasing nobody if you just play a load of random stuff like they do, which is worse than pleasing a very small minority of dedicated fans of one particular niche.
I totally agree! :)

Content is more complicated than it may seem? Its easy to get distracted into a path that will lead no where!

As a DJ myself, I have learned a few lessons when interacting with the crowd so to speak?

When dealing with a drunk and merry crowd? The strange and random requests occur! :lol:

Things will get messy very quickly if you stray from your planned set! Be polite and stick to your job!

Basically what i am saying is, Integrity will let the crowd know what you stand for! (What you are employed for)

Thats just my tip for DJing in general :)

Casual
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Casual » Mon May 23, 2022 10:01 am

thewisepranker wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:00 pm ....Platorm B, which is a community station in Brighton. A toddler orchestra or even a wind chime compilation CD wouldn't sound out of place on there.
As well as some lentil eating AMSR or various random seagull noise compilations.

Sorry, that windchime orchestra thing tickled me....I had to add my 2 pence! So juvenile! 🤣

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 pm

If you need a laugh read their application!

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... form-B.pdf

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:16 pm

I only tend to tune in when I do a casual tune around to see if there is anything unusual on, little local rigs or new bigger stations etc. Every now and then I stumble on a pirate coming in from further afield or a new one. I don't tune in daily to a pirate.

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:46 pm

This is a topic that's come up once or twice on this forum.

It's with noting that digital (DAB, internet, TV) now accounts for 64.4% of radio listening.
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2022/02/uk-rad ... opulation/

In 2013 it was 36.7% and in 2016 it was 44.1%
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5NIMHbfkMo (slide 26)

Also, anecdotally, I would imagine that many of us here would accept that many/most/all of our friends without an active interest in radio don't have a radio in the house. And, again, anecdotally, I'd be very much surprised if you put a radio in a room full of teenagers and asked them to find a couple of BBC nationals and a couple of local commercials that they'd know what to do.

Anyway, regardless of the anecdotal evidence, the figures speak for themselves. Analogue listening is falling fast as a share of overall listening (and overall listening is stable).

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:24 pm

Matt wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:46 pm This is a topic that's come up once or twice on this forum.

It's with noting that digital (DAB, internet, TV) now accounts for 64.4% of radio listening.
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2022/02/uk-rad ... opulation/

In 2013 it was 36.7% and in 2016 it was 44.1%
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5NIMHbfkMo (slide 26)

Also, anecdotally, I would imagine that many of us here would accept that many/most/all of our friends without an active interest in radio don't have a radio in the house. And, again, anecdotally, I'd be very much surprised if you put a radio in a room full of teenagers and asked them to find a couple of BBC nationals and a couple of local commercials that they'd know what to do.

Anyway, regardless of the anecdotal evidence, the figures speak for themselves. Analogue listening is falling fast as a share of overall listening (and overall listening is stable).
Some great points Matt! :)

I totally agree that most youngsters have never needed to know how a radio receiver works! But i dont underestimate their ability to adapt if required!

I am often sceptical about the accuracy of Polls? And the growth of streaming services in 2013 is hardly comparable to what is currently happening in 2022!

Infact! I am hearing more and more situations where people are cancelling subscriptions or contracts to cope with the cost of living!

As the title reminds us! "Times are changing"

Hopefully it wont happen? But if the Economy continues to plummet! People will find cheaper and simpler modes of communication!

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:35 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:24 pm
I am often sceptical about the accuracy of Polls? And the growth of streaming services in 2013 is hardly comparable to what is currently happening in 2022!

Infact! I am hearing more and more situations where people are cancelling subscriptions or contracts to cope with the cost of living!

As the title reminds us! "Times are changing"

Hopefully it wont happen? But if the Economy continues to plummet! People will find cheaper and simpler modes of communication!
I think that the point there is that people are cancelling paid-for subscriptions (Netflix etc). As long as internet radio is free to anyone with an internet connection, I think that it's only going to carry on growing at the expense of more traditional methods of broadcasting.

25 years ago, the only way to get heard was to get on the air and your coverage was limited by your location and the tech specs of your gear. That would seem crazy now. With little/no risk, you can be broadcasting internationally. That's attractive to both the broadcaster and the listener, whose choice is increased massively beyond the restrictions of a traditional tuner.

I'm an enthusiast. I listen to all sorts of stuff on all sorts of bands (don't tell my mates). But when I just want the radio on (in a way that a normal person would), I shout at Google to put it on for me. I can listen to the "legals" that way or pirates from London or whatever.

I miss being able to tune around at all times of the day and night and the buzz of listening to these underground stations pumping out music that you simply couldn't access anywhere else. Up here in Merseyside there's still some stuff going on which is really nice to catch. But it's on the decline and I think that's just how it is.

Ian
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Ian » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:32 am

Fate fm , vision yea there banging out . Play backs not t bad either. Keep the vibe alive . House and Garage

toshiba1
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by toshiba1 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:23 pm

XXL wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:21 am It was the same when I was at school. Everyone listened to n-dubz, dizzee rascal… blah blah and you wasn’t deemed “cool” if you listened to anything else. but a certain few knew about pirate radio and used it. This was back in 2005. Wasn’t it meant to be at its peak back then ? But only a small amount of people knew about it still.
Bit of a generation gap here, but 1983 most people in my class new of JFM and there was a bit of buzz going round mainly due to the cooler kids on the Roundshaw Estate letting it be known. My first encounter and i can remember to this day the first records i heard on that station. Which was The Rah Band - Messages from the stars, and Ronnie Gee & G Force, Feel the force. I've been hooked ever since. Still shuffle up and down the dial.

peterogers
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by peterogers » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:00 pm

Back in the day pirate radio was our internet

Today most people have the internet and not a radio