Stations off air - Ofcom out and about?

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Stations off air - Ofcom out and about?

Post by mpx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 am

88.2, 88.6 and 92.2 are all off-air, which seems unusual.

90.6, 104.7 and 106.5 have also been off for some time, but they're a bit more sporadic.

Could it have any relation to the new community licences? There's one due to launch on 106.5 in Farnborough (Hampshire), which might explain why Project is off the air.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Stations off air - Ofcom out and about?

Post by teckniqs » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:00 am

mpx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 am 88.2, 88.6 and 92.2 are all off-air, which seems unusual.

90.6, 104.7 and 106.5 have also been off for some time, but they're a bit more sporadic.

Could it have any relation to the new community licences? There's one due to launch on 106.5 in Farnborough (Hampshire), which might explain why Project is off the air.
I thought that Turkish station DOST FM on 88.2 had been off for quite some time??
Don't know about Eruption but as far as I could tell it was just on low power or from a low site with quite small coverage.
Think it's now licenced on DAB in Bristol but only covers a very small part of the city.

....From what I've been told 90.6 is also ran by the same guy who runs 104.7 and it wouldn't surprise me if 88.2 is something to do with him as well, funny how all three of them are off. Plus I'm not sure how close House 88.6 are to their TX location but I think it's in the same area.
I was told the block on the hill Project's been using since before day dot (the Force days) is now locked off and they can't get on the roof any longer, as far as I'm aware it came back on from another location but didn't seem to be for very long, and they even changed their music policy which we would never have expected and started playing UK Garage!

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 am

88.2 was off for a while, then it came back, now it's off again.

92.2 had a good signal around SE and into parts of Kent & Essex, the thought crossed my mind that Ofcom might have received a complaint from the CR in Sheppey if it was reaching that far. Or possibly the one in Hammersmith that barely gets to the end of the road. It was on consistently, which is why I am wondering. Or the thing on 92.0 may have complained, might explain why they've turned their audio up, it's been over deviating for weeks now.

House had just got their audio sorted and added RDS, and now have vanished.

Project moved area but still a good signal. It had been off for a while but when it came back on it was there consistently, albeit silent overnight and often during the day. It's been off at least a few weeks now. I heard the odd UKG track but tbh never listened for long as their minimal tech isn't my cuppa tea :smoke maybe some of the Force boys got involved again.

I know it's not unusual for stations to be off air for a bit due to a raid or having to move site, but for the longer running consistent ones it just seems strange, especially when several are off. And we're in lockdown. Well, sort of.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm

I don't think project would be worried about a station in Farnborough there has been a station on 106.5 in Bedford and that would not be much in it from projects area in distance to both town's

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:58 pm

Yeah they are way out of each others coverage areas so shouldn't be any problem. :whistle Especially if Project is off air...
(if it was Farnborough, Kent though I'd understand)

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:02 pm

The station in Bedford is much further away from Project than the one in Farnborough (Hampshire), plus the North London ridge is in the way, so no issues for Bedford, but Project could interfere with the new station around Epsom/Leatherhead/Cobham/Egham/Black Hill areas if they were running 300W or more, and the new station's coverage area is listed as NE Hampshire & NW Surrey - although it hasn't actually launched yet, hence my theory about Ofcom clearing the frequency.

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Eruption are back on 92.2, a weaker signal this time round

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:03 pm

To be honest I've never heard of Ofcom clearing the dial to make way for new station which haven't launched yet, especially way out of the stations service area.
....Project have always been off for long lengths or gone silent for months. Probably be back soon.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:26 pm

I have turned into the 106.5 coming south down the M1 and the Bedford thing can be heard all the way past Luton coming south until project cuts in so there was no gap without either on although that was about 18 months ago

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Sounds like I will not be able to pick up project in Windsor when the Farnborough thing comes on?

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:14 am

famefm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:32 pm Sounds like I will not be able to pick up project in Windsor when the Farnborough thing comes on?
Have you moved back to Windsor again then?

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:35 am

No I still have family there and will still visit and of course tune around the band starting from the M25 M1 area across to Windsor hence the test to see how far the Bedford 106.5 station came south into the project reception area

bravedaveyboy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by bravedaveyboy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Interestingly Venture FM on 99.5 appears to be off air today. Its internet stream is still working. This one comes in very strongly in Bermondsey, SE1, and has been on air continually for a long time now. 99.5 is potentially one of the frequencies which may be used by one of the three South London community stations soon to launch on FM. Just coincidence or something planned I wonder? :?:

bravedaveyboy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by bravedaveyboy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:20 pm

bravedaveyboy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:49 pm Interestingly Venture FM on 99.5 appears to be off air today. Its internet stream is still working. This one comes in very strongly in Bermondsey, SE1, and has been on air continually for a long time now. 99.5 is potentially one of the frequencies which may be used by one of the three South London community stations soon to launch on FM. Just coincidence or something planned I wonder? :?:
Update: Venture FM is back on again, same signal strength and RDS, so I guess it was a temporary outage.