Dab quality

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Dab quality

Post by famefm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:47 am

As I posted a few weeks ago I have moved away from the London area now and my family up here have dab radio sets and the sound quality is just awful on a number of set's and the horrible dropping noise when the signal is weak. I think fm will be around after dab it time to stop the propaganda from the government this is a failure and the bit rate some of these stations are useing is ridiculous

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Dab quality

Post by Sparki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:25 am

famefm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:47 am As I posted a few weeks ago I have moved away from the London area now and my family up here have dab radio sets and the sound quality is just awful on a number of set's and the horrible dropping noise when the signal is weak. I think fm will be around after dab it time to stop the propaganda from the government this is a failure and the bit rate some of these stations are useing is ridiculous
Unfortunately people will listen to any old shite these days regardless of sound quality, lets face it I'm sure we have listened to a pirate which didnt sound too great but listened anyway as the tunes were banging. DAB is a lesser sound I agree, its down to bitrates whereas FM is a whole different thing, the sound has a raw feel.

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:34 am

Quantity > quality. There's about 5 versions of Heart on D1 National (the main commercial multiplex) all of which are terrible (but what do you expect from the goons at Global). Most people don't care about the quality of the station (or the audio) and just want background music since that's all commercial radio is nowadays, and if that's all you're using it for you're not going to notice the encoding artifacts.

As far as why it's pushed so much by the industry it's because it's cheaper than conventional FM since one station doesn't need 200 transmitters to cover the UK, they just send it onto the DAB multiplex no infrastructure required. While it does give more """"choice"""" (I use that term lightly) it's still all the same garbage all day every day. The people I work with listen to Absolute every single day and don't seem to realise that it's the same playlist every day, hence why radio is garbage nowadays; the people just don't notice.

If you want real freeform radio you know where to find it - in London on the FM band.
FM for lyfe!

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pm

Luckily I have tune in so that has softened the loss of my old loaction fm reception so not so bad and for the first time in about 40 years I won't be bothered to put up an arial

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Blimey, if the anoraks can’t be bothered to put up an antenna, radio is doomed I tell ye, doomed...
Sony ST 920 QS

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 pm

I have a 94i now not really used dab its got Bluetooth usb playback and wifi radio.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:42 am

I have moved to a very rural location miles away from any possible pirate station and the legal offerings are all the same global nonsense plus the other big player that owns kiss and tragic I will just use tunein for music and the fm for BBC radio 4 and no outside areal required for that

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:46 am

fmuser877 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 pm I have a 94i now not really used dab its got Bluetooth usb playback and wifi radio.
I rest my case more and more people are skipping a generation of technology if we say Am was phase 1 fm phase 2 dab phase 3 and online phase 4

Lordunderground
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Lordunderground » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:33 am

Most stations do not sound as good audio wise, but there are exceptions Radio 6 sounds much better than other BBC stations on FM, its stereo 128 bit.

It does give an outlet to stations that otherwise would not have one legally, if they are using plus, low bit rates or bad audio feeds for DAB they can output a high quality web-stream for the more discerning.

Best to be on air than just another one of the zillions of online stations with 10s of listeners.

Like those on here still prefer FM but the dial is jammed with dross, so DAB is the only viable.

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 pm

All this bad audio shit, I was locked into really bad FM audio wise pirates back in the day and didn't complain because it played the tunes I liked.

Lordunderground
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Lordunderground » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Yep & DJs more inclined to turn up for their shows, for legal DAB or unofficial rig on

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:42 pm

It’s a shame though, whilst dab will never be as good as FM, it does have better potential than is currently being utilised, sadly because of cost and wanting to maximise the multiplex, if only they would put up more multiplexes and then up the quality of all existing stations, but they wont. Also, with regards too the audio of pirates, FM doesnt need to sound like trash, it takes very little money to make FM sound good so I dont buy the argument that we should let it slip when pirates sound awful (so long as they play music we like). Pirates should , just like dab, give their listeners a little bit of what they deserve, good quality audio to make it worth tuning in for longer.
Sony ST 920 QS

nrglcb2016
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by nrglcb2016 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:02 am

zoostorm wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 pm All this bad audio shit, I was locked into really bad FM audio wise pirates back in the day and didn't complain because it played the tunes I liked.
Have to agree locked into many stations where the rig is humming or it drifts slightly, if I wanted perfect sound I’d play an mp3 or a cd!!!!!!

Effemm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Effemm » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Your lucky none of the :tup are using Stereo. Now that was a nuisance if you had no mono switch on your boom box !

It’s not about being 100% ffs.

Enjoy if they are on. That’s the main thing in my opinion

Shiv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Shiv » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:43 am

zoostorm wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 pm All this bad audio shit, I was locked into really bad FM audio wise pirates back in the day and didn't complain because it played the tunes I liked.
I think like with everything, technology evolves. It's easier to produce decent audio nowadays without having to fork our for expensive audio processors.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:22 am

Shiv wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:43 am
I think like with everything, technology evolves. It's easier to produce decent audio nowadays without having to fork our for expensive audio processors.
Exactly,
no excuse for bad audio, every station owner should at least know the basics. Of course we make allowances, but if it comes down to it, and two pirates were playing the same music, but one had a nasty hum and the other sounded good, you would likely prefer the one without hum, no?
Sony ST 920 QS

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: Dab quality

Post by Electronically » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:48 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote:Blimey, if the anoraks can’t be bothered to put up an antenna, radio is doomed I tell ye, doomed...
I'll tell you Lee ive got at least 4 antennas on my roof 10 feet on each pole

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Electronically wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:48 pm
LeeCavanagh wrote:Blimey, if the anoraks can’t be bothered to put up an antenna, radio is doomed I tell ye, doomed...

Glad to hear it, faith restored, ive got 3, one of,them dab (even though I’m not a fan), and a 5 element yagi which could do with going higher, and need a rotator again, I miss my old rotator.
Sony ST 920 QS

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Dab quality

Post by Electronically » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote:
Electronically wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Glad to hear it, faith restored, ive got 3, one of,them dab (even though I’m not a fan), and a 5 element yagi which could do with going higher, and need a rotator again, I miss my old rotator.
I had one of those antennas that used a remote control so when I wanted to test antenna on other direction I was just press on remote control to turn my antenna in other direction I build it because I was sick of going on my roof so used a remote. Can't mind what I did with schematic for remote making but it worked a charm.

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:25 am

zoostorm wrote:All this bad audio shit, I was locked into really bad FM audio wise pirates back in the day and didn't complain because it played the tunes I liked.
But are you still doing it?
Polecat
No Groove Where I Come From