Dab or a 50w ERP North or south London FM licence?

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Dab or a 50w ERP North or south London FM licence?

Post by famefm » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:35 pm

Be honest what do you think most stations would prefer dab in London or FM

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Dab or a 50 North or south London FM licence?

Post by famefm » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:37 pm

I forgot to put 50 watts FM power that is the choice as a big London wide FM license isn't going to happen

cocksock
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by cocksock » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:00 pm

FM is dead!

Even hardcore pirate heads don’t listen anymore!

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Thank you I really want your comments on this subject for or against all comments welcome

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:20 pm

tbh even fm is not busyi in birmingham a hand full of stations. dab or dab+ stations arnt for me, untill pirate stations become available on that platform.... like ireland

Steve
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Steve » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 am

I have TuneinPro and pretty much live on that. If decent stations were on DAB or FM with coverage and I still lived in London I'd definitely listen.

I rarely listen to radio at home and if I do it is generally via Tunein with Alexa! There's nothing up here other than recently started Style Radio DAB, but unless I'm in the city centre the coverage isn't great on the trial Norwich mux. It starts to have the odd drop out as you get to the outskirts where I am.

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Dab or a 50w ERP North or south London FM licence?

Post by XXL » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:59 pm

Fm isn’t dead, wireless radio broadcasting is dead as a whole. I’d rather have 50w on fm than dab. I’d never have even heard of a lot of stations unless they were on fm. wether or not you’d rather listen online after that is up to you. But fm definitely gets your station heard. I still don’t know many people who use dab. They’ve gone straight to internet streaming.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:08 pm

That's just the comments I was expecting I don't care what is said about dab becoming more popular than FM I agree with the last post completely and select djs sound delighted to be on FM and are saying 94.4 all the time and it's far cheaper for them than the price for broadcasting on dab but as we have seen a lot harder to get licences on FM

cocksock
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by cocksock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking and living in the past, there’s no average cunt driving around in their cars listening to internet streams apart from people on here! 😆

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:40 am

You're wrong! We asked (on our live streamed shows) how many people were listening in cars and were surprised to discover that we had quite a large listenership who would listen to the breakfast shows and to the early evening shows in their cars. Commuters really seem to like what we're doing, and don't want or need the endless "travel information" intrusions into music programmes (most people have Google - connected sat nav for that).

Broadcast radio on FM or DAB hasn't entirely been overtaken by streaming, but it's just a matter of time...... Now that there are cheap (often "unlimited") data deals on mobile phones, many drivers use their phones rather than the car radio. Modern cars allow Bluetooth or hard-wired connection of phones into the car audio system, and adding the facility to older cars is cheap and easy (possibly involving the use of an "Audio Sender" device).
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

cocksock
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by cocksock » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:12 am

I suppose you’re never gonna get a forum full of radio geeks to admit that they’re beloved passion for FM Radio is dying.

More chance of getting the BBC to admit that they were harboring peodos!

Lordunderground
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Lordunderground » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:35 pm

DAB is more expensive but gives far better coverage (non-trial full mux TXs). It's been in most cars since 2013 & now more people listen to it than FM, UK. The audio quality on Plus DAB is good enough

Online is just diluted with 1000s of stations with low streaming figures for the majority. Nearly all DAB stations have an online stream anyway.

Ian
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Ian » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:08 pm

If I’m in the car , I’m constantly flicking through the dab network and the fm dial. There isn’t any one thing that can keep me captivated for long these days.. I do a lot of driving and the small rigs are too patchy and are unlistenable for long driving, so then it would need to be dab .. or blue tooth the phone 📞