Select UK's new FM frequency??

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
WEBB-TECH
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Select UK's new FM frequency??

Post by WEBB-TECH » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Mmmm Albert I love it when you talk geeky <3

Nick_G
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Nick_G » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Surely Select isn't still going on 97.8? The new community radio station in Croydon is on that channel.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 pm

Who said they were? Select have not even posted a frequency update yet are you sure you haven't confused Select from Croydon radio it was them that were advertising 97.8

Nick_G
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Nick_G » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 pm

Ah yes. I misread that.

bravedaveyboy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by bravedaveyboy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:28 am

Select have revealed their new frequency.

As I guessed eleven months ago on this very thread it's going to be 94.4.

Good choice I think?

You can see the new frequency in this Tweet:

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:58 pm

How much power? They seem to think it's going to be London wide? by saying 9 million londoners will have select back on fm

Steve
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:50 pm

Anyone in London near that frequency at the moment? Do Kool even bother with FM anymore?

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:23 pm

Flava 94.4

bravedaveyboy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by bravedaveyboy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:21 pm

I spotted that too, a hugely optimistic forecast, and clearly untrue. They'll be transmitting from atop Countisbury House in Dulwich, SE26. Nothing on the Ofcom tx parameters spreadsheet yet. I suspect coverage will only be to the South East London boroughs, at best.

Their Ofcom application states: "The proposed transmission area includes Croydon, Southwark, Lewisham, Bromley, Greenwich and Bexley boroughs with a combined population of 1,837,371."
famefm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:58 pm How much power? They seem to think it's going to be London wide? by saying 9 million londoners will have select back on fm

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Definitely how can that Area get to the whole of London and radio 4 is on 94.4 in highwycombe so I don't expect to receive it in Windsor and won't get out as well as flex and rinse that can be picked up in the Windsor area

cocksock
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by cocksock » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 pm

Will only be a small chunk of their past pirate signal plus the world of radio has changed massively since they switched off a year or so ago.

sproggy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sproggy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:14 pm

Good dial. Hopefully they won't get nulled to the north and west but I have a feeling they will.

bravedaveyboy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by bravedaveyboy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:58 pm

Absolutely. Their FM coverage will be South East London at best: "Croydon, Southwark, Lewisham, Bromley, Greenwich and Bexley", and that's optimistic, given their new Countisbury House site, lowish power, and "community station" status. There's no way they're going to be a London-wide station on FM, despite their Tweet to the contrary. I'm not quite sure why they are claiming they're going to reach "9.5 million Londoners". It's rather bizarre.
sproggy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:14 pm Good dial. Hopefully they won't get nulled to the north and west but I have a feeling they will.

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:35 pm

They need DAB as well to make any inroads. Flex has been fortunate that they got a frequency that gets out further than their Wandsworth licence was allocated for.

After all that to get a low powered FM frequency broadcasting from Upper Sydenham, they could have either stayed as a pirate with great coverage or moved to DAB. The Surrey mux that Release and Point Blank use has excellent coverage of most of London.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 am

The cost might come down to it the small fm community fee for a year than the 2 stations mentioned pay a month but select don't sound like an outfit short of money and won't be as good as 101.4 and 106.8 if it's anything like the 94.0 fm station in East London it's going to be hopeless and also the stations that have gone dab haven't had to change I hope they don't become like flex

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:51 am

I mean the dab surry is more for a month than the local fm costs for a year

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:05 am

famefm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 am The cost might come down to it the small fm community fee for a year than the 2 stations mentioned pay a month but select don't sound like an outfit short of money and won't be as good as 101.4 and 106.8 if it's anything like the 94.0 fm station in East London it's going to be hopeless and also the stations that have gone dab haven't had to change I hope they don't become like flex
106.8 is terrible in my part of South London since they moved to Peregrine House. It amazes me you can get it in Windsor presumably as it travels along the Thames.

It appears Select's legal studio is in Sydenham by Cobbs Corner, so they could easily microwave link it to Countisbury House which has line of sight to the studio.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:48 am

Yes in the high areas I can and some times a station from Oxford comes up on 106.8 also depends what way my ariel was faceing but I certainly can't get the little stations like Nomad 92.2 or the thing on 94.0 and Nomad is closer to me than rinse I suspect select will be stronger than the 2 I just mentioned very curious to see how far it gets out

bravedaveyboy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by bravedaveyboy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:32 pm

I can certainly pick up the Surrey mux pretty well here in Bermondsey, which will be to the north of Select's new coverage area, so pretty much eclipsing it.
zoostorm wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:35 pm They need DAB as well to make any inroads. Flex has been fortunate that they got a frequency that gets out further than their Wandsworth licence was allocated for.

After all that to get a low powered FM frequency broadcasting from Upper Sydenham, they could have either stayed as a pirate with great coverage or moved to DAB. The Surrey mux that Release and Point Blank use has excellent coverage of most of London.

bravedaveyboy
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by bravedaveyboy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:45 pm

I used to pick up Rinse really well here in Bermondsey, SE1, when they were atop Maydew House, easily as well as I get Resonance from the Guys Hospital Tower. Rinse's service area changed completely when they moved to Peregrine House, it used to be "Bermondsey" but Ofcom changed that to "London City East". It's hardly audible in Bermondsey nowadays.

zoostorm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:05 am
famefm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 am The cost might come down to it the small fm community fee for a year than the 2 stations mentioned pay a month but select don't sound like an outfit short of money and won't be as good as 101.4 and 106.8 if it's anything like the 94.0 fm station in East London it's going to be hopeless and also the stations that have gone dab haven't had to change I hope they don't become like flex
106.8 is terrible in my part of South London since they moved to Peregrine House. It amazes me you can get it in Windsor presumably as it travels along the Thames.

It appears Select's legal studio is in Sydenham by Cobbs Corner, so they could easily microwave link it to Countisbury House which has line of sight to the studio.