New Neck

Oh hello - you must be new. Introduce yourself to the radio world here!
Ionosphere
ne guy
ne guy

New Neck

Post by Ionosphere » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:45 pm

How’s it going folks

I’m Ionosphere, I’m a licensed amateur radio ham but I don’t really bother with that side of things apart from decoding weather satellite images and pocsag messages (pagers). I’ve always been into pirate radio as a listener and the odd DJ slot on some long extinct stations in East Yorkshire back in the 90’s.

I’m into the geeky side of building equipment etc, but I have very limited experience in this area so I’ll probably need lots of help in the coming weeks as I start to build my first band 2 rig using bits purchased from a member of this forum. I’m not setting up a station or anything, I’m just pratting about in my backyard.

Anyway, thought I’d just say hi and introduce myself, I’m looking forward to many discussions with you all going forward.

I’ve attached an image of a partial decode from Russian weather satellite ’Meteor M2-2’ that I received a few weeks ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: New Neck

Post by BriansBrain » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:14 pm

Ionosphere wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:45 pm ........ apart from decoding weather satellite images and pocsag messages (pagers).
Interesting :smoke
Ionosphere wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:45 pm I’ve attached an image of a partial decode from Russian weather satellite ’Meteor M2-2’ that I received a few weeks ago.
Great pic........ :tup

BTW: ..... Welcome to the nut house :whistle
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Ionosphere
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Ionosphere » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:52 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:14 pm
Ionosphere wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:45 pm ........ apart from decoding weather satellite images and pocsag messages (pagers).
Interesting :smoke
Ionosphere wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:45 pm I’ve attached an image of a partial decode from Russian weather satellite ’Meteor M2-2’ that I received a few weeks ago.
Great pic........ :tup

BTW: ..... Welcome to the nut house :whistle
Thanks for the warm welcome, I’ve been into decoding weather sats for about a year now I just find it fascinating and it’s surprisingly easy to do if you’ve got a SDR and can tune a dipole antenna. Pocsag decoding can be exciting, it’s usually the ambulance/hospital pagers, fire crews and strangely enough the RSPB who page updates on where certain birds have been spotted etc. Legal to intercept and decode but extremely illegal to distribute by any means, for obvious reasons.

SD-E1102
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by SD-E1102 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 pm

Welcome!
Pirate Radio's not a problem, it's a solution

Ionosphere
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Ionosphere » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:09 pm

SD-E1102 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 pmWelcome!
Thanks, I think i'm gonna like it around here :tup