Joining from the US

Oh hello - you must be new. Introduce yourself to the radio world here!
Derek Heim
ne guy
ne guy

Joining from the US

Post by Derek Heim » Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Firstly, a big thanks for letting me join.

Greetings from across the pond at West Georgia Underground radio. Operating on 100.3 and 102.9 at a measly 7 watts in both locations.

We feed the repeaters from a web radio station set up at a free streaming provider https://wgug.radio12345.com/ using a tablet and 2.4GHz uplink. (we have to do all that shiit because Uncle Charlie is only 30 miles from us and would like us in a cage)

Because Atlanta radio is SO terrible, I set up the first station about 8 years ago. At 7 watts it covered the whole town as well as I needed. Then friends got involved and now we're setting up more shows and trying to figure out stealth advertising.

We play a lot of stuff that's off the beaten path. At the moment the show is a 19 hour loop dedicated to the Corona lockdown.

Again, I thank you dearly for letting us in, Derek

SD-E1102
Neckmin
Neckmin

Re: Joining from the US

Post by SD-E1102 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am

Welcome!
Pirate Radio's not a problem, it's a solution

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Welcome Derek. Are you actually transmitting across Atlanta? It's a city with diverse taste. What style of music are you playing?
Polecat
No Groove Where I Come From

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 am

Welcome Derek,

Nice to hear from a pirate from across the big pond :tup

I'm also located across a smaller pond from most of the guys on here :whistle

:mrgreen:
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Fri May 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Howdy partner! The US has some pretty good low-power stations/college stations, sad the same thing doesn't exist over here. Good on you for going against the garbage commercial stuff on the airwaves!
FM for lyfe!

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun May 31, 2020 1:29 am

I'm also (mostly) across the water from the UK (to the east). Welcome aboard!

I did a little FM piracy in the early 80s in California. We used a couple of very elevated sites with about 40 Watts with the gear powered from big lead/acid batteries. The aerials were directional (there was no point in broadcasting to the desert), so we had a few dB of useful antenna gain. We linked from the studio to the transmitter on UHF (in the TV band), using very low power.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)