Hello

Oh hello - you must be new. Introduce yourself to the radio world here!
Jellybean
ne guy
ne guy

Hello

Post by Jellybean » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 pm

Hello :tup

I'm Jellybean, I'm from Wales and only got an interest in FM radio recently after seeing and building Tetsuo Kogawas FM transmitters.

I've got plenty of experience in software but something like a larger PLL radio set up is a big jump for me. That's what I'm here to learn though. :lol:

Nice to meet you all!

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Hello

Post by Bton-FM » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:35 am

Welcome aboard! :D

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Hello... and Welcome :tup

Now...
Jellybean wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 pm ...I'm from Wales...
Is that South or North :?:
Jellybean wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 pm ... I've got plenty of experience in software...
Would that be using it... or writing it ( programming) :?:
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Jellybean
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Jellybean » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:30 pm

Big thank you both
BriansBrain wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:50 pm Would that be using it... or writing it ( programming) :?:
Writing it, or both, I guess :)

and south wales, apparently aberystwyth is the place for radio shows though.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:59 pm

Jellybean wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:30 pm
BriansBrain wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:50 pm Would that be using it... or writing it ( programming) :?:
Writing it, or both, I guess :)

and south wales, apparently aberystwyth is the place for radio shows though.
OK... :tup

BTW: I lived in N. Wales once, that's why I asked.

Writing..... Interesing..... :whistle

What sort of progs ?
What language ?
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Jellybean
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Jellybean » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:17 pm

Way more mobile apps than I'd like to be doing, but I started out learning to make video games. Java, C#, C++ and python are the ones I'm always comfortable saying I know how to use.

N Wales is definitely the nicer half. They've got the bonus language too :D

I'm actually struggling to find information on how a Tx works on a component level. Everything I can find online is more like a physics level that explains the difference between AM and FM. Could you recommend anything that explains how the transmitter components work together to make a signal?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:07 am

You can always ask about the principles here. Some of us are VERY technical, and should be able to provide you with many answers. I suggest that you look at a few books:
"The Art Of Electronics" by Horowitz & Hill
"The ARRL Handbook"

There are also a number of books on transmitting and receiving theory and practice that are published by the RSGB. These are aimed at amateur radio rather than broadcasting, but they explain how stuff works really well.

A transmitter can be broken down into several parts - the signal generator (an oscillator of some sort), an RF amplifier (to make the signal big enough to travel) and a modulator (the means of applying the programme to the signal you're generating). There are a few other crucial bits too - the power supply, the aerial and (probably) some controls.

When you've done a bit of basic reading, you'll have plenty of questions - come back and ask som!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)