Talk radio

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
Kentdx
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Talk radio

Post by Kentdx » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:43 pm

I think a light hearted talk radio station would do really well legal, Internet or pirate it doesn't matter. LBC is all news and boring government stuff now where as when it was Caesar the geezer and Ian lee etc on there it was well funny and entertaining! I remember having to go on a long drive one night to pick up a synthesiser and was listening to all these weirdos ringing in and Ian lee was ripping the piss out of them without them knowing and it was among the best and funniest radio Id ever heard lol
As far as I know there's no stations like that now in the whole of Britain unless anyone knows otherwise. :cry:

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Talk radio

Post by shuffy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:21 pm

I don't know what's happened to that particular genre of talk radio in the UK over the last few years. It's as if there's no market for it any more - LBC phased out the more frivolous side (maybe just Nick Abbot doing a bit now?) and around the same time, talksport dropped the "talk" altogether. In the early 2000s both were great for it - the likes of Lee, Tommy Boyd and James Whale all had their regular nutters phoning up. Can't have been just us who enjoyed it immensely, surely? Since the phone-in boom in the early to mid 80s with the likes of Whale, Stannage, Robson and Allan Beswick who was hugely successful as a phone-in host in the mid 80s, it's all tailed off. Whale was demoted to being vaguely political at drivetime on LBC (he can't have enjoyed it but I suppose he was grateful for the work) before being sacked. Beswick's talent is now wasted doing a very mediocre breakfast on Radio Manchester, patronising pensioners and mispronouncing footballers' names.

Perhaps it's too risky these days for the commercials and the BBC to let lots of nutters phone up swearing, starting arguments and slandering people. Online, it's not going to get listeners, it was tried a few years back - a brave attempt by Play Radio UK ultimately failed - and as for pirates, I haven't heard a decent phone-in on one since the late 80s. It takes a special kind of talent, and that sort of programme on a pirate would be bait. Shame!

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Talk radio

Post by MiXiN » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:06 am

Radio City, City talk, on 96.7 and 105.9 in Liverpool from 10PM 'til 2AM on a Sunday can be hilarious.

A guy called Pete Price is the presenter and often gets the piss taken out of him. There are videos all over youtube of funny calls.