How do you generally listen to pirate radio today? FM or online?

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
OP1
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by OP1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:06 pm

Posing this question out of sheer curiousity!

I'm 1 of the few people on this forum who doesn't own an FM radio & strictly listens to any radio content online via apps on my mobile/firestick (unlimited data plans on mobile & broadband indoors mean I actually only listen to any radio/music streaming content online & a conventional FM radio just isn't needed anymore). I know Tunein was the go to app for smart devices but I think it's gone downhill with overkill on ads/functionality over recent years so I now use the radio feature on the Podcast Addict app which does a great job for me (seems to use the same database as Tunein but unlike Tunein you can manually enter unlisted stations via direct URL & you can also reorder your saved favourites). Audials seems to be another good alternative too as it does the above & also allows you to record content which Tunein did away with in the UK ages ago (this is still bypassable using a VPN though 😉)

So how do you lot in 2019/2020 consume your pirate radio content? Have people got with the times & embraced technology by listening online via whichever chosen app on your smart device or do people still have FM radio indoors with flimsy wire or telescopic metal aerials like it's still the 90's? I'd have thought FM was still popular for listening in cars but less so indoors/at home in this day & age?

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: How do you generally listen to pirate radio today? FM or online?

Post by fmuser877 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:32 pm

on line mostly or stream from video.
Facebook seems to be the way to cast now.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:38 am

FM.... it's free :tup
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

cheese ranger
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by cheese ranger » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Fm where possible in the car, online at home and when out of range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wazza

Post by wazza » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Both!

Still have a few FM radios at home which get use sometimes. I also have an Android phone with an FM radio app which I use when out and about. The choice on FM isn't great here really so I either listen to the BBC or one of the pirate reggae stations. My data allowance is pretty low on my mobile tariff and even if it was more, I can't get a mobile signal for a large part of my journey to work every day - but the FM signal is fine!

Sometimes at home I'll listen to stuff online though.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:05 am

I listen on FM, AM and (sometimes) shortwave if there's something interesting. I also listen to a few web streams since I can't hear UK stations directly at home except for BBC Five Lies on 693 kHz and Radio 4 Long Wave (sometimes - it's pretty fucked since they stopped using Droitwich). Radio 4 is sometimes amusing to hear the Toady Programme at breakfast time, (which I can get via a web stream and a VPN). The news coverage over here is mostly parochial and very shallow.

Most music radio is pretty dull these days - play listed into being really boring. There are a few of the local, licenced MW broadcasters that are OK over here, mostly playing oldies, but FM is pretty poor. We get the occasional FM weekend pirate, but they're mostly playing traditional Dutch oompah rubbish!

It looks like listening via the web is the way to go if I want interesting content.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Albert H wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:05 am It looks like listening via the web is the way to go if I want interesting content.
Shame you can't receive ''Brian'' :roll:

He's definitely interesting listening :whistle
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Stick Brian on the interweb! Let's all hear it.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Albert H wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:32 pm Stick Brian on the interweb! Let's all hear it.
I am not interested in getting him on the net because he is programmed to entertain the public in the south of Gran Canaria.
+
At the moment I only have a slow ADSL connection so no spare bandwidth :cry:

Lozza
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Lozza » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:55 am

In the car always FM. Indoors mostly YouTube, listening to the old radio uploads, etc. DnB and HH oldskool is my cup of tea. The thing with YouTube is you can play anything catered to your specific taste(s). I see now that some pirates stream via Facebook but the quality is pants.

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm

mine on FM but others are better on my 94i over wifi.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Fm, until that becomes worse than the stream quality, then stream
Sony ST 920 QS

peterogerspirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by peterogerspirate » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:50 am

Have not used a radio in years always via internet either on mobile or on pc and i agree tune in is now pants i have been using https://onlineradiobox.com/ for years now

Casual
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Casual » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:43 pm

No need for an FM radio in the deep South sticks were I'm usually based so it's strictly web streams for pirate radio (or any radio) listening down here. Audials on the phone & VRadio on my fire stick (TV/sound bar combo) does the job nicely for me.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sun May 23, 2021 11:43 am

Pirate radio for me is ALL about listening purely on an FM radio.

I just can't gee myself up to stream it as it doesn't have any appeal at all to me. I think I've streamed a station for about 2 minutes once, then threw the towel in.

Amateur radio turning all digital & using internet has also made me completely lose interest in that side of things.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun May 23, 2021 12:10 pm

MiXiN wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:43 am Pirate radio for me is ALL about listening purely on an FM radio.
:tup
MiXiN wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:43 am I just can't gee myself up to stream it as it doesn't have any appeal at all to me. I think I've streamed a station for about 2 minutes once, then threw the towel in.
I lasted 47 seconds :whistle
Radio.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sun May 23, 2021 12:17 pm

You know it's the only way @BrainsBrain. :tup

And :D :lol: on the 47 seconds.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun May 23, 2021 11:50 pm

I much prefer to listen via the FM especially when the processing is all set up nicely, always for some reason sounds better in my opinion.

Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Persona Non Grata » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:29 pm

Ideally I like terrestrial platforms AM/FM or even DAB but where I live the only feasible way to listen to pirate stations these days is online.

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:21 pm

I barely check FM at all these days for pirates. Once in a while as a one off when I think of it but in general the activity is so little the chances are more often than not there is no pirate to listen to. Online is not even pirate radio for me, by definition it is not a radio transmission. A radio transmission is a very specific and special activity.