Licensing

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
piratefm
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Licensing

Post by piratefm » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:59 pm

Just curious, can you broadcast on FM in the UK without a license at all..? I mean at very low power before you need an Ofcom license and if so what is that? Or is a license needed regardless of power.

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Licensing

Post by fmuser877 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:10 pm

their plenty of little car TX ones about I hear them all the time in the car.
could be like these

Pure Highway 600 In-Car DAB+/DAB Digital Radio FM Adapter with Spotify Control and Bluetooth

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:06 pm

piratefm wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:59 pm Just curious, can you broadcast on FM in the UK without a license at all..? I mean at very low power before you need an Ofcom license and if so what is that?
50 nW.

Sources: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... mption.pdf
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... r-2030.pdf

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by radionortheast » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:19 am

Unfortunately theres noway to get a licence to broadcast a few watts out of your bedroom, if there was I would of got one by now!, the only route is community radio route, involves a lot of money having to have studios which isn’t practical for people who just want to get on air. They are doing a trial of low power fm, with transmissions up to 2 watts, as far as I know it is only open to organisations, things like universities couldn’t go the community route they couldn’t have people outside coming in. We don’t have part 15 there noway for them to get on air, even thought they would be only transmitting a few 100 meters like the York one are blocked by sutton coldfield within a few 100 meters, they have to have a licence as someone could just report them, unfortunately theres just a lot of bureaucracy, I know its silly.

You can use a small mp3 transmitter, most are over the power limit, on a car radio you might beable to pick it up afew 100 meters away, but its not what you’d called coverage, realisticly thats the only thing you can do reading around here and other places, think the general idea is that transmitting on fm a few watts if you left it going all the time you’d problably a knock on the door, in a city would be out of the question depends on your location.

I’d hate to say it was safe for someone to do this, I don’t personally believe alot of the hysteria I read here or on another forum, about there been monitoring stations every few miles, most spectrum use is indecline services have vacated the spectrum, here there are no city based pirates that I hear, what is there to monitor, fm use is decline against online listening. Alot of it dosen’t make logical sense to me, there often seems an attitude to discourage people from broadcasting on pirate forums, I don’t think what we need, we need more people broadcasting I can’t see them ever changing anything other wise.