NRG founder

A place to share all pirate radio related articles, video footage and both short & feature-length documentaries both new & old.
Raredx
ne guy
ne guy

NRG founder

Post by Raredx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:22 pm

Hi all, just curious so thought I would ask:
Has anyone produced a documentary about Steve Moss
the inventor of the NRH line of products?
Many thanks
Cheers

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: NRG founder

Post by Albert H » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:16 am

No. Steve was a fairly private person, and the lady that knew him best - Christine - certainly wouldn't want to talk much about him to people she doesn't know.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:37 am

I am a massive fan of Stephens work!

Sadly i have to agree with Albert! It aint gonna happen!

The legacy he left us still remains!
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:11 pm

Stephen was certainly "one of a kind". His knowledge was formidable, and his design abilities were excellent too. He managed to design a set of kits that could be built with good results by anyone who could follow simple instructions and solder properly. He designed those big boards to be single-sided to cope with people soldering in components in the wrong position, de-soldering and moving them....! The results from a correctly built Pro III board were exceptionally good, with at least 4 Watts available across the band, and minimal adjustment.

It's instructive to compare the Pro III with other products available at the same time:

The Broadcast Warehouse "1W" exciter seldom managed more than 700 mW and would usually hum. It also had poor harmonic purity unless carefully calibrated on a Spectrum Analyser.

The Ramsey rigs were either under-powered or outrageously expensive.

The Panaxis FMX was better than competent, but was tricky to build correctly, and only gave around 200 mW at best.

The Radio Free Berkeley job was pretty good, but used a few obscure components and was expensive.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:43 am

What most people do not realise is that back in them days, Books, Magazines and the odd Engineer you could tap for a bit of info was all we had!

Mobile phones and the Internet did not exist!

Most of the basic transmitters i built in those days drifted all over the place! :lol:

The first kit i bought from Stephen was a Stereo 1 Watt VFO which literally blew my mind!

I remember vividly receiving the kit and being eager to build it! The stability and sound quality far surpassed anything i could have ever imagined building in those days! :D

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:06 pm

Back when I first started building broadcasting gear (my first was in 1969!), I relied on amateur radio periodicals like Practical Wireless and QST. My first AM rig had three valves, and was based on a circuit published in PW in 1965. It used an 807 as a power oscillator, modulated by an 6L6 driven by a ECC83. I quickly discovered that the two stages of amplification in the ECC83 were far too much gain (it was designed for a microphone input), so I discovered the joys of a simple compressor circuit, adapted from the input stages of a Philips tape recorder. The rig was originally designed for 160m amateur band, but with more turns on the coils, and slightly larger capacitor values, I could get it down into the top end of the medium waveband.

At first, I used it on 1530 kHz (196m) into a "Marconi" aerial, and got great results in the daytime when I earthed it to the water pipes! I later discovered that it was producing around 8 Watts of carrier, and peaking at around 30 Watts when modulated. I also discovered that it had a little bit of FM (because of the simple power oscillator circuit), but that wasn't ever a problem. My friends and I ran our little station from home for about 4 months before the guys from the PTT turned up. They realised how young I was (my squeaky voice on the air should have been a clue) and demanded that I dismantled the transmitter and didn't do it again.....

Of course the bug had bitten and after about a week off air, we were back on! The second time I got the "unfriendly visit", they impounded the rig...

The next rig came from a garden shed a few streets away from home. The second rig had a pair of 807s, sported a VFO (allowing both deliberate change of frequency and some drift!) and did almost 100 Watts pep!

Pretty soon, we'd started to use "links" and unattended transmitters, and several of them were collected by the authorities. I made the move to VHF (94 MHz) in 1972.....
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:12 pm

Just found the Practical Wireless circuit:
First Rig.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:51 am

Blimey! :lol:

I remember seeing circuits like that in books i had read in the libraries! What was the supply voltage for that beast? Gotta be in the couple of hundreds figure?

When i was around 12 years old, There was a bloke named "Trevor" who used to repair our TV when it was on the blink! (Yes TV Repairs did actually exist)

I used to be watching everything he was doing in amazement! Asking all sorts of questions!

He gave me some hand written notes on simple transmitters which i still have here today!

Thinking back? I know i must have been irritating to him? I was just curious to learn! Knowledge was hard to find back then! :lol:

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:06 am

There's some old tapes of Steven's station Veronica floating about online if you like 80s pop. Complete with original ads for gear.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:12 am

I remember those ads, transmitters from £50
i have some tapes in a box with some of veronica but i dont have time to go through them all to find the relevant bits.
Sony ST 920 QS